Graphic Cards Graphic Card Suggestion ~15k

gamingstill

Game Developer
Adept
want to buy a graphic card that will serve me for at least 2 years.
Budget: ~15k
Game Res and settings preferred : 1920x1080 @ (high/ultra).

My Rig:
Intel Q6600
2x2 GB ddr2 Ram
Abit IP35-P
Crucial 120 gb ssd
Dell U2311H
CM 690
Corsair vx550

@gamingstill you can look at the AMD HD 7850 2GB ~16500/- OR wait till the nVidia GTX 660Ti and non-Ti release and become available in India.

Mind you both these cards will not perform at their optimum because your CPU will be the primary bottleneck. You might have to over-clock it.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Try to go with SAPPHIRE HD7850 2GB GDDR5 Graphic Card - 16750/-

MSI N560GTX Twin Frozr II-OC Graphic Card - 13800/-

Zotac Geforce GTX 560 Ti - 14600/-

Pointless suggesting the nVidia GTX 560Ti, it is a non-entity in the current situation. It gets soundly crushed by the AMD offering and more importantly consumes more power.

The only thing it has got to its credit is -- token a lead in BattleField 3 and Civilization 5 [both games supported by nVidia].

I was talking about the GTX 660Ti and non-Ti edition(s) not the 560Ti which will supersede the latter and offer better performance and efficiency, hopefully. Also when they will be released a raft of price revisions might take place to make AMD offerings more palatable.

Should I have another 6950 then crossfire with my xfx xxx 6950 2 gb?
What's the price update?

No, rather buy a GTX 660Ti OR AMD HD 7870 2GB ~23000/-, the performance improvement will not be great when comparing just the frame rates, but overall efficiency and image quality will be better with the new cards.

Here is the performance of the HD 6950 2GB vs. HD 7850 2GB --> AnandTech - Bench - GPU12; CrossFire the older card might yield some frame rate gains but will also add a great overhead on your SMPS, which I do not like. Also maintaining a dual-GPU setup is not my cup of tea.

In fact your old card still has plenty of fight in it, you do not need to CrossFire OR over-clock it yet, until you are an absolute graphic slave OR rite in that parlance.

Also finding stable CrossFire profiles and update patches is also not to my liking.

Expect the market price of the HD 6950 2GB ~13500/- --> 15000/-, they seem to be coexisting with the rarer 7*** series cards, for now.

want to buy a graphic card that will serve me for at least 2 years.
Budget: ~15k
Game Res and settings preferred : 1920x1080 @ (high/ultra).

My Rig:
Intel Q6600
2x2 GB ddr2 Ram
Abit IP35-P
Crucial 120 gb ssd
Dell U2311H
CM 690
Corsair vx550

I would say go for AMD 7850, amazing card at that budget, or wait for 660 series to be released, better would be to buy now as they would be relatively priced higher and may lead to more waiting for the prices to stabilize. AMD recently cut some prices so this maybe a good time to buy.

AMD recently cut some prices so this maybe a good time to buy.

Once the GTX 660Ti and non-Ti release and they become available in India we will see a bigger shuffle in the prices because both the cards will attack AMD's currently unchallenged HD 78** series. If the Kepler cards perform as expected then expect AMD to undercut them heavily with strategic prices, if not then nVidia will have to undercut AMD.

AMD HD 7850 2GB prices have steadily risen to ~16500/- from opening pricing of ~14900/- thanks to the weakening Rupee.

The AMD HD 7870 is now priced at 300$ in online stores.Wait a few weeks and the 7870 price in India will come down by atleast 3000rs.That and the new nvidia cards will surely bring some price cuts in the graphis card market.

Has the price drop kicked in here in India yet? I'm in the market for an HD 7850 and I came across the AMD's 7800 series price drop news, but don't know if these prices(~16k) are the updated ones.

Has the price drop kicked in here in India yet? I'm in the market for an HD 7850 and I came across the AMD's 7800 series price drop news, but don't know if these prices(~16k) are the updated ones.

No the refreshed price(s) have not come into effect, as well as the Rupee -- $ rates are in-fact pushing up the prices.

If you can wait till mid-September the nVidia GTX660Ti will appear in the market and it completely chews up the AMD HD 78** series, it will trigger more agressive price cuts on AMD's part, so win-win for you. Cheerio!

No the refreshed price(s) have not come into effect, as well as the Rupee -- $ rates are in-fact pushing up the prices.

If you can wait till mid-September the nVidia GTX660Ti will appear in the market and it completely chews up the AMD HD 78** series, it will trigger more agressive price cuts on AMD's part, so win-win for you. Cheerio!

The HD 7850 no longer makes any sense right ? . 660ti is comparing with the 7870 and even 7950 in certain situations . But I guess the pricing will kill it in India, abroad its supposed to come out at 300 $ for reference cards = 17k approx at max . This sites claims it will cost 24k . Thats 7k difference :( , is this site reliable thou ?.
Specifications of Nvidia's GeForce GTX 660 Ti leaked

@harry_houdini, taht site is a front for CHIP-India and is reliable per-se. Let us see what the actual price is, I suspected this will happen as even the prices of the GTX670 and 680 are still completely out-of-proportion to the US price-listings.

harry_houdini, taht site is a front for CHIP-India and is reliable per-se. Let us see what the actual price is, I suspected this will happen as even the prices of the GTX670 and 680 are still completely out-of-proportion to the US price-listings.

Yes gtx 670 overpriced by 7k and 7970 by a mad mad 15k . At the moment I cant understand where this pricing is rooting from , Nvidia and AMD or the great Indian distributors .
Why is everything so overpriced now , even if we make a straight translation from dollars to rupees , it would still make sense but a margin of 7k and 15 k and sorts , how can someone explain it ? .
I get a feeling of day light robbery by someone , companies , distributors or the govt .

@harry_houdini it is due to the following reasons --
  • weakened Rupee, due to this most incremental drops in prices have been swallowed up;
  • the customs duty levied ~35% in such cases;
  • distributor greed to a certain extent, motivated by factors such as profit and earning back a fixed margin with such products.

I feel until the market does not right itself and the Rupee doesn't slide to less than ~50 -->$1 we should stop thinking about palatable prices on such peripherals, hope the GTX660 Ti belays this trend and is available around ~20000/-.

I dont think Distri's in India will lower down the prices of 7series radeons as their previous stocks are still there and they will not order fresh stock at current prices. This is something happens in India normally

At this point of time, it would be prudent to wait for GTX 660Ti/660/650 as they are about to be launched soon.
The new generation kepler cards have really savaged the AMD offerings, so we can expect AMD to lower the prices to remain competitive against a better architecture.

harry_houdini it is due to the following reasons --
  • weakened Rupee, due to this most incremental drops in prices have been swallowed up;
  • the customs duty levied ~35% in such cases;
  • distributor greed to a certain extent, motivated by factors such as profit and earning back a fixed margin with such products.

I feel until the market does not right itself and the Rupee doesn't slide to less than ~50 -->$1 we should stop thinking about palatable prices on such peripherals, hope the GTX660 Ti belays this trend and is available around ~20000/-.
Thanks for the explanation .
Yea , we can just hope things are this way .
I dont think Distri's in India will lower down the prices of 7series radeons as their previous stocks are still there and they will not order fresh stock at current prices. This is something happens in India normally

Yea seems a valid answer , so as a seller , what would be your suggestion ? , What should be our line of action :) ?

At this point of time, it would be prudent to wait for GTX 660Ti/660/650 as they are about to be launched soon.
The new generation kepler cards have really savaged the AMD offerings, so we can expect AMD to lower the prices to remain competitive against a better architecture.

If 660ti is priced at 20k+ , HD 7850 prices wont reduce , only if its priced lower , then we can expect the 7850 price to get lowered . But then if the 660ti comes at approx 20 k , there is no sense in buying the 7850 I guess .

Yea seems a valid answer , so as a seller , what would be your suggestion ? , What should be our line of action :) ?

I can say that gtx 660 will take around easy 2 months to get settle down in market but 7 series prices could slash down after its release in India. So better wait for a month only and see the scenario. Or if in urgent need, go for GTX 560Ti as its current price is 14000/- Rs

Q6600 will not bottle neck that much people stil have wrong thoughts about this chips it a chip made by gods to mortals like us I am using it now @ 3.2ghz , have also used it @2.4ghz didnt see lot of difference but in games like Bf3 there was a difference but for normal eys its ok , i must say q6600 is by far the best procy of the decade for gaming and all nornal computing needs as of now. I have gone as high as 3.6ghz & I kw I can do more .. Must say people are stupid enough to buy i7 , x6 or x8 selling these chips for 2k ,3k :) .

Its 5 years have throw all the games on it , it chewed up all (8600gt, 9600tg, 5670 , 560ti ) want to check high end card though !

I can say that gtx 660 will take around easy 2 months to get settle down in market but 7 series prices could slash down after its release in India. So better wait for a month only and see the scenario. Or if in urgent need, go for GTX 560Ti as its current price is 14000/- Rs

Thanks for the reply . I cant go for a older generation card when the new cards are here .

Back