Graphic Cards Graphic card within 22K

Hi Guys,

I'm going to buy either Sapphire HD 7950 OC @ 25K or Zotac GTX 660 ti @22K. I've seen recent reviews of GTX 660 Ti where the following drivers were used for testing.

NVIDIA: 305.37 Beta
ATI: Catalyst 12.7 Beta

Here are the reviews : ZOTAC GeForce GTX 660 Ti AMP! Edition 2 GB Review | techPowerUp

You can see that GTX 660 Ti beats HD 7870 and reaches performance level of that HD 7950 too ( which is more costly ).

Now, I'm in a dilemma whether to buy Zotac GTX 660 Ti now or get Sapphire HD 7950 OC which has more wider bus and memory and still doesn't have good edge over GTX 660 Ti.

I'm going to keep this GPU for 4-5 years and Intend to play @ med-high settings at 1080p for all upcoming titles in 5 years.

I also had MSI GTX 560 ti some months ago and how much improvement am i expecting.

Awaiting some experts opinion here.

Cheers,
Ashis

@ashis_lakra If you're ready to overclock the gpu then go for AMD HD7950 OC it overclocks very well and it'll give you better performance than GTX660Ti.If you're not gonna overclock then at stock GTX660Ti is good enough performer for Full HD gaming.Nothing can keep up for 5 years,Things change every 2 years as you know.I'd say go for HD7950,It's your call.Hope this helps.:)

Both cards are good. So, go for whicheve. The only thing I would say here is that NO card would last you for 4-5 years. 2 years, yes, 3 years maybe, but after that it would be too much to ask of it. Plus, we have new consoles coming in in the next 1 1.5 years, so that would even complicate things for PC gaming (which is actually a good news, since we would finally see some improvements in graphics at least). So, long story short, go for whichever... Happy gaming..

nope, bcoz gtx 670 with just a wider bus memory costs 9k more than GTX 660 Ti with almost same specs.

There is a lot more at play Ashish (I am assuming that is your name), apart from a wider bus, the salient features about the GTX 670 are --
  • there is a company backed base model, this means that 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party offerings have to be better than this model;
  • over-clocking potential, unlike the GTX660Ti which is completely dictated by 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party developers, the GTX670 has a lot higher binning capacity left; with the GTX660Ti (which has no stock card by nVidia themselves) the problem is every company is offering its own spin on the card with high-clock frequencies out of factory, this eats into its over-clocking potential;
  • memory is symmetrically distributed, this means the card can perform much better in the future where the GTX660Ti thanks to its asymmetrical memory-distribution will not cope well;
  • At the current pricing in India, the GTX660Ti sits dangerously close to its competitor the HD7950 2GB and HD7870 (spiced editions), both the cards against it perform commendably on stock settings but throw in over-clocking and this card comes off for the worse, AMD cards do not need a lot of voltage tweaks to extract the first ~70MHz -->120MHz extra on the core and that itself translates to substantial gains. The GTX670 on the other hand sits right in the middle between the HD7950 2GB and HD7970 3GB (vanilla versions) and can singularly beat them and over-clock to take its performance up a notch.
  • Compute performance is heavily castrated in nVidia cards (via Forceware drivers), the GTX670 cannot hold a candle to an HD7850's performance, the GTX660Ti is way behind this curve.
  • Future performance, most upcoming graphics intensive titles will be hungry for V-RAM at 1080p resolution and AMD cards comprehensively trash nVidia here. In quantity as well as overall quality thanks to gains made with EyeFinity.
If you want to look at at-least 2 years of solid performance and want to carry the card till 5 years of operational usage I suggest that you get the HD7870 / HD7950 3GB, use them on stock for now and over-clock them when it is called for.

Here are a few benches for the cards involved in this squabble,
AMD HD7870 vs. GTX660Ti -- AnandTech - Bench - GPU12 (surprise, surprise AMD cards are still power efficient vis-á-vis nVidia offerings)
AMD HD7950 vs. GTX660Ti -- AnandTech - Bench - GPU12
AMD HD7950 vs. GTX670 -- AnandTech - Bench - GPU12

Current market prices for these cards are --
AMD HD7870 --> 22500/- -->24000/- (depending on which company, what edition)
AMD HD7950 2GB -->26000/- -->29000/- (depending on which company, what edition and V-RAM, towards the higher spectrum of things you will get HD7950's with 3GB V-RAM)
nVidia GTX660Ti ~23000/- -->26000/- (depending on company and the edition)
nVidia GTX670 ~27000/- -->30000/- (depending on company and edition)

Hope this helps Cheerio!

Brilliant Breakdown @ALPHA17 ,
you are right , according to the pricing in India , 660ti aint worth it , 670 is much better .

If you want only gaming , 670 is way to go , brilliant card for gaming , some 20-30 fps better than 7950 in some games and almost same fps in 7970 , thou the minimum fps is better in 7970 .

But one thing that comes to my mind is that with the larger Vram and bandwidth , the 7950 might still give similar fps like today while the 660ti will surely suffer or even 670 might probably suffer .
Am not sure thou , @ALPHA17 , do current games use that amount of vram in a single monitor setup ? . Is any game close to consuming that 2gb or even say over 1.3-1.5 gb , if yes then surely future titles will need more .

Last edited by a moderator:
Back