Great speed in India, Poor speed abroad

rajil.s

Adept
I have taken on Sikka broadband 100mbps connection in Lucknow, and a speedtest to their server gives a near perfect score.

upload_2018-6-18_21-54-52.png

Speedtest to other locations in India give a good result too. However a speedtest to server outside India fails horribly.

upload_2018-6-18_21-58-28.png

Anybody understand why the ISP performs so poorly.

thats how they do it now.. even i have taken aerocast 50 mbps, but that 50 mbps is only to their server. am not getting even half for other.. when complained, they showed me T&C fine print..

Does the T & C stipulate connection speed to their server only?

This practice smells like a scam. Incidentally, I did a speedtest from US to Sikka speed test server and could achieve 50mbps. So, it would seem that they are throttling the bandwidth when connecting to the US server.

I am curious whether other ISPs in other metros also follow this shoddy practice.

Anybody willing to post speed test against US servers?

According to TRAI rules, An ISP is bound to provide 80% of the promised speed from node to the user, That means From ISP end to user.
If they're able to provide that then everything is fine.

Elaborating your issue, Its common with everyone, Ask anyone who has 100Mbps shared residential plan and they shall they say the same thing.

To make you understand, There are two types of bandwidth here - Domestic and International.

Since Domestic bandwidth prices are almost 30% of the International pricing, These companies do the false advertising Saying that you will Get 100,200 mbps and what not. Because most of them check on Local Speedtest servers.

Most of these ISP's use Extreme peering Setup, Meaning popular content is cached or peered like Google services, Hotstar, Netflix or Amazon.
So most likely you'll end up getting Full speeds to these sites.

In Short, Majority of the ISP's do not have International bandwidth and they manage away with Domestic bandwidth.

Just google the cost of international bandwidth and you will understand why it is not possible for ISPs to give you full speed of your connection to every server around the world.

As per my understanding Sikka has very less International bandwidth and they're totally relying on Peering setup unlike ACT or Airtel who have decent amounts of bandwidth.

Just google the cost of international bandwidth and you will understand why it is not possible for ISPs to give you full speed of your connection to every server around the world.
Plus the cost of routes to US via France is cheaper than via Singapore. Routing cost are also less where majority of traffic flows, That is where you will see Very Good speeds to servers in US or EU also.

As per my understanding Sikka has very less International bandwidth and they're totally relying on Peering setup unlike ACT or Airtel who have decent amounts of bandwidth.

Plus the cost of routes to US via France is cheaper than via Singapore. Routing cost are also less where majority of traffic flows, That is where you will see Very Good speeds to servers in US or EU also.

AIRTEL owns submarine cables like TATA comm , reliance etc. and this improves their data carrying capacity.

Sikka is too small of a player to buy a lot of international bandwidth.But i always get good speed to most of the downloading websites.

Anybody knows whether Airtel is using fiber instead of copper in Lucknow?

I need good upload speed to US and their vdsl solution would have a crappy upload like adsl.

did you try tachyon ? heard they are good..
Tachyon only provide a private/RFC1918 address unlike Sikka who give out a public routable address.

I suspect that Tachyon would be similar to Sikka when it comes to connecting outside India. I do plan to check them out when my Sikka runs out.

Airtel seems like a safe choice if they do fiber.

If you want high upload speeds for torrents then it is better to get a seedbox which will be far better than any connection in India(home or corporate).

Anybody knows whether Airtel is using fiber instead of copper in Lucknow?

I need good upload speed to US and their vdsl solution would have a crappy upload like adsl.

it depends on area to area.You need to call them to check the feasibility of the connection.
Before taking sikka i called them, they were not providing the fiber connection in my area .

Who will publish reality wisely? Its the era of looting common man.
And idiots who believe just by seeing numbers and opting for are to be blamed as well.

Same case with Joister as well. They have very limited international bandwidth. If possible, opt for a VPN which have servers in India.

Does the T & C stipulate connection speed to their server only?

Its nothing new and standard practice by all ISP's. The speed stipulated by all ISP's is always for the last mile. i.e. from user machine to the ISP gateway.

Speeds to distant servers will always be lower. Here is a speed test on my ACT 150Mbps broadband connection.

Back