All OS Green line issue- Share your exp., thoughts and Rant!

nRiTeCh

Skilled
So, just last week my father-in-laws One Plus 7 Pro phone received a software update and after the update reboot his phone welcomed him with a vertical green line as if the phone was dropped or something.

My wife shared the issue with me and then I wasn't aware of this global-glitch and simply told her its a simple hardware issue caused either due to phone falling or someone sitting on it or age issue or overcharging.

Now, just yesterday, another friend complaint about the same and his is a Samsung...received an update and bang he too was greeted with green line!

Now, fear factor is, if someone like these guys visits a service center they are instead going to get blamed by giving those usual physical damage excuses and asking to pay for repairs by the service people.
Irony is, those who got their displays replaced have again received this green line as a gift in the next/immediate software update!

Issue is, its not pertaining to a single brand though OnePlus is the worst hit brand, nor it has anything to do with a direct hardware fault but a simple innocent software update is what it takes to get the green line!
Even the almighty Apple isn't spared here and they are getting white lines with a dash of green!

So, how many of you have faced or heard of this?

Digging I found these...Watch these informative cum hilarious videos..

The question still remains..is this a pure software or a hardware issue?\
I look it this way..Its a software issues damaging the hardware!

No company is dumb enough to just brick the device with green line right after the update. If they wanted to, the clever company would indeed seed the update with this intentional glitch but will make sure that only some devices get green line and that too at completely random times, not in the same time frame.

But this begs the question, if the goal was to brick the phones with green line, why risk sending the seed with an update in the field (someone can intercept the code, or even worse that it would create a situation where the phones which didn't update, don't get the problem, highlighting the fact that the update is the culprit), why not just embed the seed right from the factory.

I think this is a quality control issue, maybe the screens are not created equally, some are bad, all they needed was little nudge to get the green light, the nudge can be anything like a drop, or a shock, or high humidity or high temperature exposure, or at last could be simple as a power cycle which happens with an update. Who knows. :singing:

Green lines are due due the current fluctuations illuminating the led's in the OLED panels. Distort the current supply through the update and boom, you have a green line. Saw this info either on Techwiser or Tracking Tech by Ershad.
Thing is, post COVID, many companies take a very lax approach with QA and how software affects the internal hardware. The reason is obvious, make more profits. Cheaper brands won't even acknowledge that such issues exist. That much how companies care about QA.

If you are going for phones OLED screens, it would be better to go with reputed brands like Apple, Samsung with higher end models at this point. Unless there is enough pressure on the brands to cater to lower price segment as well!!

So, just last week my father-in-laws One Plus 7 Pro phone received a software update and after the update reboot his phone welcomed him with a vertical green line as if the phone was dropped or something.

My wife shared the issue with me and then I wasn't aware of this global-glitch and simply told her its a simple hardware issue caused either due to phone falling or someone sitting on it or age issue or overcharging.

Now, just yesterday, another friend complaint about the same and his is a Samsung...received an update and bang he too was greeted with green line!

Now, fear factor is, if someone like these guys visits a service center they are instead going to get blamed by giving those usual physical damage excuses and asking to pay for repairs by the service people.
Irony is, those who got their displays replaced have again received this green line as a gift in the next/immediate software update!

Issue is, its not pertaining to a single brand though OnePlus is the worst hit brand, nor it has anything to do with a direct hardware fault but a simple innocent software update is what it takes to get the green line!
Even the almighty Apple isn't spared here and they are getting white lines with a dash of green!

So, how many of you have faced or heard of this?

Digging I found these...Watch these informative cum hilarious videos..

The question still remains..is this a pure software or a hardware issue?\
I look it this way..Its a software issues damaging the hardware!

Go to the service center and see what they have to say. Some people have gotten replacement phones like Oneplus 10R for free or Nord 3 by paying just 3k.

1695805424945.gif

What if it's just a marketing strategy? /s

No company is dumb enough to just brick the device with green line right after the update. If they wanted to, the clever company would indeed seed the update with this intentional glitch but will make sure that only some devices get green line and that too at completely random times, not in the same time frame.
Why can't this be a deliberate intentions?
But this begs the question, if the goal was to brick the phones with green line, why risk sending the seed with an update in the field (someone can intercept the code, or even worse that it would create a situation where the phones which didn't update, don't get the problem, highlighting the fact that the update is the culprit), why not just embed the seed right from the factory.
Will you buy a faulty factory device?
I think this is a quality control issue, maybe the screens are not created equally, some are bad, all they needed was little nudge to get the green light, the nudge can be anything like a drop, or a shock, or high humidity or high temperature exposure, or at last could be simple as a power cycle which happens with an update. Who knows. :singing:
And one fine day every random brand phone gets this line after phone update..
it would be better to go with reputed brands like Apple, Samsung with higher end models at this point. Unless there is enough pressure on the brands to cater to lower price segment as well!!
Already highlighted, no brand is saved from this line.. No point spending lacs if you anyway gonna get the line sooner or later.
Go to the service center and see what they have to say. Some people have gotten replacement phones like Oneplus 10R for free or Nord 3 by paying just 3k.
Yup, people are getting it for free but unsure if they are only offering replacements for warranty phones or even for oow.
They are even getting almost free upgrades to latest phones.
View attachment 178877

What if it's just a marketing strategy? /s
Curious, what might they be marketing? 1billion green color? Or an alien sword global edition..

Last edited:
Already highlighted, no brand is saved from this line.. No point spending lacs if you anyway gonna get the line sooner or later.
I am not justifying to spend lakhs. Consider an Apple failing viz a viz Xiaomi/Redmi/Chinese device getting a green line. The chances of your issue getting addressed is on a higher side with the former. With the Chinese brands which dominates our market, the chances of getting a resolution is almost nil. 1+ being an exception because they consider themselves premium and to boost their image as "we care for customer." And their dwindling customer base.

Regardless, I have mentally prepared my self that this green line is a gift should I opt for budget Amoled phones. Hence, having second thoughts for getting an amoled or IPS phones for my dad.

Consider an Apple failing viz a viz Xiaomi/Redmi/Chinese device getting a green line. The chances of your issue getting addressed is on a higher side with the former. With the Chinese brands which dominates our market, the chances of getting a resolution is almost nil. 1+ being an exception because they consider themselves premium and to boost their image as "we care for customer." And their dwindling customer base.
True but again the questions stands how does a mere software update results in a hardware defect?
Its like a bios flash is rendering a dimm slot unusable or pci slots.

What I feel that software update might be causing excessive heating and that (when combined along with past usage history/falls/minor damages/manufacturing imperfections/defects) is somehow triggering the screen damage. That's the only way I can think of when a Software is causing a Hardware damage. I might be completely wrong though.

What I feel that software update might be causing excessive heating and that (when combined along with past usage history/falls/minor damages/manufacturing imperfections/defects) is somehow triggering the screen damage. That's the only way I can think of when a Software is causing a Hardware damage. I might be completely wrong though.
Lol! then what about gaming? Gaming causes the most heat generation and pushes any phone to its limits across hardware..

Lol! then what about gaming? Gaming causes the most heat generation and pushes any phone to its limits across hardware..
Yes, thats a valid argument. What do you suggest? Are the companies doing it deliberately? How does software cause permanent irreversible damage to the hardware?

Curious, what might they be marketing? 1billion green color? Or an alien sword global edition..
It was a Star Wars joke.

Since this issue spans not only different brands but also different OS's, I'm more inclined to believe it is a hardware issue with the OEM screen maker, OR with phones getting bigger and bigger, it's physically easier to flex them and cause incremental damage.

I was using a Oneplus 8 Pro (12GB / 256GB) purchased in 2020. Green line showed up 5 days ago after a software update which was performed about 10 days ago. Definitely seems like the software which is triggering something.

Anyways, took it to the Exclusive Service Center in Koramangala, Bangalore yesterday (27th Sept). They said replacement not possible since parts aren't available for this model anymore and offered a buyback solution. They offered me a voucher for INR 35,000 which can be used only on a phone on the Oneplus site itself (ofc). They accepted my phone even though the glass was cracked at the top. Received my voucher within 24 hrs, today morning.

Placed order for the Nord 3 which I will definitely use as exchange to either pick up the new Pixel 8 Pro or S23 Ultra.

Been a loyal Oneplus user since the OP1, but now time to 'settle' it.

The fear of getting green line/screen issue is the reason I started to use my phone a lot less these days.
OnePlus - Never Settle The cure for your Internet Addiction
So, just last week my father-in-laws One Plus 7 Pro phone received a software update and after the update reboot his phone welcomed him with a vertical green
A gentleman from this forum called me a 'lowballer' when I stated this specific issue and offered him a price higher than the quoted prices from the online refurbished sell portals (for the advertised condition). He pulled some magical quotes without checking the portals and I actually believed him until I verified the quotes to be false myself. Lol. The specific OnePlus phone was dropped and had suffered a crack on top of the front screen but didn't have the greenline™ yet. I am no wizard but I'd fear the dreaded green line more when it took a nice hit! Fine with the insult but he said that phones are sold according to their condition during the exchange and not some future uncertainty and that my lines were 'lowballing tricks'. If my offer in this context was 'lowballing', I am extremely happy that I lowballed, that he didn't get 'tricked' and that I dodged this entire hassle.

Last edited:
Back