Gspace : Use Gmail like ftp

Safin

Skilled
This extension allows you to use your Gmail Space (2 GB) for file storage. It acts as a remote machine. You can transfer files between your hard drive and gmail. This is similar to "Gmail Drive" on windows platform. Your gmail account looks like a FTP host and you can upload and download your files. After you install, you get an option called "GSpace" in your "tools" menu clicking on which opens the window for transfer of folders/files.

New Features in version 0.2 from the older version 0.1:

* Files > 10 MB can be uploaded

* Fixed the problem of "googlemail.com" domain. Now, googlemail.com users can also upload and download files.

* Fixed the problem of "archiving". So, it picks the emails/files that are archived also.

* Fixed the problem with "NoScript" extension. * Now, harmful extensions like ".exe, .dll, .zip" can also be uploaded.

* Uploading very big files > 100 MB is not recommended.

* Make sure that you have enough space in your directory while uploading large files (this extension creates a copy of the large file in the directory)

* Did not test this version in Linux and Mac. Please email me if anyone has any problems.

Usage:

* Based on the above written legal issues, best thing to upload would be files and folders that are NOT critical/important. SINCE EVERY FILE IS SENT AS AN ATTACHMENT, EVERY FILE CAN BE DOWNLOADED ATLEAST MANUALLY. SO YOUR FILES ARE SAFE IN YOUR GMAIL ACCOUNT.

* Be gentle with the program. Do not upload or download many files in a single day. You may get your account disabled for 24 hours. It happens when you upload or download more than 2 GB in a single day (I believe so).

* This is really useful for files that you can delete but doesn't want to delete. Greatly useful for BACKUP purposes.

* Creating a new user account is highly recommended because that won't affect your regular account and also there is a chance of being blocked for 24 hours if used vigorously.

* Photos are the best as you can easily upload and give your username and password to your friends, relatives. (I have all my photos in the gmail account). Also, photos can be directly viewed in the browser through actual gmail web interface.

What to do?

* After installation, click on "GSpace" from the "Tools" menu. A new tab will be opened with GSpace window.

* Give your user name and password to login. The remote view will be empty until you login. Once you login into the system, the remote view should say "gs:/" in the textbox.

* If you are logging in for the first time, the remote view will be empty as there are no files uploaded yet.

* So, select a folder or file you wish to add and click the "Upload/Right" arrow. That's all your files are uploaded. Similarly, the files or folder can be downloaded.

* There is a button called "Filter" which filters the files based on the filesize. When enabled, it shows only the files less than 10 MB as the max attachment size is 10 MB in gmail. All other buttons are pretty straightforward. Tooltips on each button show its description.

Features in version 0.1:

* Allows to upload and download files and folders.

* Has a nice look where one can easily transfer files. (requires many additions/enhancements, I will add them in the future releases)

* It is fast compared to "Gmail Drive".

* Every file is sent as an attachment.

* Upload might be a bit slow but download is very fast.

MORE INFO AND DOWNLOAD

MOZILLA OFFICIAL SITE RELEASE

Back