Gta 4 save file is not working

nirvanasoul

Disciple
Dec 29, 2008
using offline profile

I had to reformat my hdd so i backed up all my folders that were involved with gta4. I transfered my saved games from C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Rockstar Games and i can see them in the game menu but they won't load properly. It says "load failed, please check your hard drive and try again".

Are there any other files that need to be transfered as well?

:huh:

sugat123

Adept
Jun 9, 2010
No, I dont think you can use the same save files to play the game again. The save files are connected to your Windows Live profile (not XLive, thats for Xbox 360). You would have created Windows Live profile while playing this game first time or some other game which supports windows live. The profile loads while the game starts (you see your username being logged in and all that crap).

You might have formatted Windows Live folder along with other folders. For normal installation, the Windows Live profile should be present in C drive itself. But, I dont know whether data in it can be backed up or not.

If you have created a Windows Live account and registered it online. It will be detected automatically when you activate the game again. (It's basically like Steam.)
Right now, sadly, you need to play the game again from start.

adi_vastava

Code Game Code F**K
Adept
Feb 23, 2010
You *can* backup saved data and as correctly pointed out by jojo you need to copy xlive as well.

Search for xlive inside c:\users\"username" for vista and above or c:\documents and settings\"user name",

I already copied saved game from XP to Win7 and it worked fine.