Graphic Cards GTX 260 894mb vs. HD 4870 512mb, suggestions please

I just saw the site. There is a non OC model. Even i am planning to buy a card. So i had checked the distributor in Delhi. Unfortunately he does not have all the stock regulary. At times you may have to wait for even a GTX 260. If you bargain, you can get the card for Rs 12000. He did have a twin Fan model, but the expensive black edition. But the general OC that he has or that mediahome is selling is a single fan with the hot air flowing directly out of the cabinet. Then there is a OC v4 with similar design. I wonder whether there is some improvement. I personally prefer the single fax, because from various reviews i read that twin fan models generally circulate the air inside the cabinet and make it hot. Atleast the Palit reviewer wrote that.

Finally i had to request someone coming from US. I found a XFX 4870 1 GB on newegg.com for $150 including shipping, which i guess is reasonable. Here somehow the 4870 is prices higher. MSI at about Rs 14000. At another about Rs 800, you can get a 4890! I am taking a risk on warranty. But then at the price that is prevailing in India, you can get two cards. XFX is a better brand than MSI, but still more expensive in India. XFX distributors quote for a 4870 is 15000+.

As far as Palit is concerned, it does not even appear on newegg or tigerdirect. I guess it is a card meant for developing countries. But people who recommend video cards on internet claim that the quality is ensured by GPU manufacturers. Also if the warranty is good, then there shall be no issue. But only if the distributor honours the warranty properly. Here i was irritated by SMC (think he is a MSI distributor). He does not keep a track of Serial No. of material imported. But if you lose the bill, the warranty expires. But Rashi peripherals (distributor of XFX) scores here. He may take a week to replace, but no headaches. So extra money is well spent. Mind you, as per my experience, if nothing else, the FAN starts making a terrible noise after a year or two. (it did in my XFX 8600GT)Enough to irritate you. This is probably because of huge amount of dust. Even if you clean it, some of it enters the bearings and makes a noise. But instead of simply changing the Fan, rashi upgraded the card itself because he does not have a repair facility.

The cheap price on newegg made my mind, or else i have been confused since some time.

Another card that comes to my mind is Sapphire GTX 275 at 13.5K.

matoind said:
I just saw the site. There is a non OC model. Even i am planning to buy a card. So i had checked the distributor in Delhi. Unfortunately he does not have all the stock regulary. At times you may have to wait for even a GTX 260. If you bargain, you can get the card for Rs 12000. He did have a twin Fan model, but the expensive black edition. But the general OC that he has or that mediahome is selling is a single fan with the hot air flowing directly out of the cabinet. Then there is a OC v4 with similar design. I wonder whether there is some improvement. I personally prefer the single fax, because from various reviews i read that twin fan models generally circulate the air inside the cabinet and make it hot. Atleast the Palit reviewer wrote that.

Finally i had to request someone coming from US. I found a XFX 4870 1 GB on newegg.com for $150 including shipping, which i guess is reasonable. Here somehow the 4870 is prices higher. MSI at about Rs 14000. At another about Rs 800, you can get a 4890! I am taking a risk on warranty. But then at the price that is prevailing in India, you can get two cards. XFX is a better brand than MSI, but still more expensive in India. XFX distributors quote for a 4870 is 15000+.

As far as Palit is concerned, it does not even appear on newegg or tigerdirect. I guess it is a card meant for developing countries. But people who recommend video cards on internet claim that the quality is ensured by GPU manufacturers. Also if the warranty is good, then there shall be no issue. But only if the distributor honours the warranty properly. Here i was irritated by SMC (think he is a MSI distributor). He does not keep a track of Serial No. of material imported. But if you lose the bill, the warranty expires. But Rashi peripherals (distributor of XFX) scores here. He may take a week to replace, but no headaches. So extra money is well spent. Mind you, as per my experience, if nothing else, the FAN starts making a terrible noise after a year or two. (it did in my XFX 8600GT)Enough to irritate you. This is probably because of huge amount of dust. Even if you clean it, some of it enters the bearings and makes a noise. But instead of simply changing the Fan, rashi upgraded the card itself because he does not have a repair facility.

The cheap price on newegg made my mind, or else i have been confused since some time.

Another card that comes to my mind is Sapphire GTX 275 at 13.5K.

SAPPHIRE GTX 275..:O dude its galaxy.:ashamed: sapphire is a exclusive ATI partner:eek:hyeah:
buying frm newegg is k as long as u hv a mode to return it to us....:cool2:

matoind said:

Another card that comes to my mind is Sapphire GTX 275 at 13.5K..

Incorrect! The MSI custom dual fan HS is available in 2 models.

One comes with 1792MB of Ram and a Black PCB (called N260GTX Lightning Black Edition) and the other with 896MB of Ram and a Red PCB (called N260GTX-T2D896-OC).

The "General OC Card" (N260GTX-T2D896-OC) which is being sold in NP/Delhi and by Mediahome is pre-overclocked to 655(Core)/1408(Shader)/1050(Memory) and does come with the dual fan custom cooler.

I know this because I bought this card a week back. MSI GTX260 w/ a killer custom cooler

The cooler is very efficient. I have OC'ed the card further to 700/1500/1100 and the max temps dont cross ~70*C at 60% Speed.

@Mohit: Congos dude for the great purchase :hap2::clap:

I think i'll go for the MSI OC version, looks like a great deal for me. Now only thing is to see whether I'll get a good deal in S P Road, Bangalore ...fingers crossed:|

confused enough. exactly it is nvidia GTX 260.
but u should gor for winfast leadtek GTX 260 Extreme+,896 mb
comes with 3 yrs local warranty, and can get within 12.2k.
its durable and performing.

Back