Graphic Cards GTX 285 or wait?

Vandal

Skilled
Moved to Vista totally; XP gone.

Have been playing a lot of WC3 and little else, so I don't know what DX 10 will do to my 8800 GTX, but the prices of GTX 285's look like they will move southwards of the 325$ mark. That represents value for me :p

Should I wait for DX 11 and the GTX 380 (whatever its called) or should I bite now? Will the prices fall more by May-June?

lol, I was planning to get a 280SSC to SLi as they are EOL, now you've put me in two minds :mad:

The way I see it, I can SLi for 20k approx or spend 30k approx for a single DX11 in a few months. Not interested in DX11 as such (will take lotsa time to be implemented), but worried about the performance. Will it be visibly better than a 280 SLi or be a so so :huh: ?

Hijacking in full swing@vandal but the queries are similar ;) !

Waiting--->cheaper---->older---->waiting----->newer----->waiting--->cheaper----

Its a cycle. It all boils down to you planning to game now or not.

I know, but since the 280s are EOL, I have to make a decision now even though even my single 280 is enough for now. It might not be enough in six months or so hence a SLi is planned. Don't wanna end up with a SLi and see a humongous leap by nVidia (as in the 8xxx series) in just a few months!

Oh wth, SLi, here I come!

there isn't a lot that an 8800 gtx can't handle these days pretty well. nor can i think of anything offhand that will be releasing shortly that will stress systems... so basically, if it's doing it's job fine right now, you might as well save the money and see what happens in a few months. and if for some reason you do decide later to buy it anyway, it will be cheaper.

@naga, there is almost no scenario in which sli is cost effective. at least not for the performance you will gain. when you do your maths of 20k now for sli, 30k later for another card... you should also consider that you can sell your present card and that will pull the cost down from 30k.

edit : looking at your post... if you think sli will be required 6 months down the line (i still don't see why), you might as well buy the 2nd card then and you'll still save money.

Buy dude.

Don't expect a major fall in the prices of Video Cards. As per me that won't be happening until dx 11 is about to launch , most probably along side Windows 7 which would be like somewhere in the first quarter of 2010 maybe. :)

if u game on 1920x1080 OR BELOW, a GTX295 will keep u running till 2010 FOR SURE......................................

Incase u wish to keep playing WC3 stuff, DONT purchase ANYTHING now.

Incase u wanna go HardCore Gaming with latest games, buy a 285/295 according to ur budget

spindoctor said:
@naga, there is almost no scenario in which sli is cost effective. at least not for the performance you will gain. when you do your maths of 20k now for sli, 30k later for another card... you should also consider that you can sell your present card and that will pull the cost down from 30k.

edit : looking at your post... if you think sli will be required 6 months down the line (i still don't see why), you might as well buy the 2nd card then and you'll still save money.

I don't think I'll be able to buy a 280 if I wait too long as they might be hard to source later on.

Your 1st point makes sense. I had actually gone for a tri-SLi board thinking of getting another card or two when the next gen cards arrived at dirt cheap prices but the 285 spoiled that :mad: ! best laid plans... I suppose getting a 280 for 20k approx with warranty makes sense now as a next gen card would be 30k thru kmd/ no local warranty only. But then, a 280 should suffice until Indian prices reach the mark :p

bah, I'm just rambling :mad: ! I'll get the 280 now and stick with it until a major platform change by 2010 or 11!

Edit: Even my SLi board purchase was a fiasco with a 4870 beating the pants off the 280 vfm wise. But that's another long ramble...

i guess you should not wait for price drops...it will take some time until prices drop and they will come down only after release of dx11 cards..but going straight away for dx11 card wont make sense as it would not be used widely immediately..so going for dx10.1 card at the least makes sense now ;)

Naga said:
Edit: Even my SLi board purchase was a fiasco with a 4870 beating the pants off the 280 vfm wise. But that's another long ramble...

i wouldn't say that... while i don't want to debate the pros and cons of the 4870 v/s a 280, i will say that at present it makes more sense to have an nvidia card. a lot of games that have been coming out recently are doing better with nvidia... be it physx, driver support or just plain iq, ati seems to be falling behind. this is just a general impression that i have, ati fans don't need to whip out the benchmark numbers to prove me wrong ;)

^^ Actually, you ARE wrong on 1 count. ATI seems to be the overall choice when it comes to IQ.. the G92 series onwards has taken a lot of heat for its lower IQ compared to the G80 series cards

Naga said:
I know, but since the 280s are EOL, I have to make a decision now even though even my single 280 is enough for now. It might not be enough in six months or so hence a SLi is planned. Don't wanna end up with a SLi and see a humongous leap by nVidia (as in the 8xxx series) in just a few months!

Oh wth, SLi, here I come!

For you I advise a wait. I tried the whole CF thing with 2x X1900's. Multi GPUs are not worth the premium man, no matter how hard you game. Just wait for NVIDIA's new monolith and dump your GTX 280. Seriously; both SLI and CF are overhyped and just a method of getting you to buy two of your favourite card; not to mention getting you on to a particular chipset and thereby restricting your options.

I mean, I would prolly sell my GTX 285 (if I got one) maybe a year after the GTX 380 launches. In fact I really liked the GTX 280, but was waiting for a cooler running part that was 5-10% faster.

Imax - 3-4 months! You sure?

The Sorcerer said:
Waiting--->cheaper---->older---->waiting----->newer----->waiting--->cheaper----
Its a cycle. It all boils down to you planning to game now or not.

Rightly put.

@ Topic Poster: GTX 285 is surely not coming down to $325 in a while. But, be on the look-out, u may get the XFX 285 for $324. Its a One day Deal, so watch-out for it.

sTALKEr said:
^^ Actually, you ARE wrong on 1 count. ATI seems to be the overall choice when it comes to IQ.. the G92 series onwards has taken a lot of heat for its lower IQ compared to the G80 series cards

i was referring to discrete examples recently where ati is noticeably worse than nv. games like burnout, pop, mirrors edge and some others are examples where nvidia is just doing better. as i said, it was a general observation of mine.. not necessarily scientific but i think it's reasonably accurate ;)

w1nD said:
i guess you should not wait for price drops...it will take some time until prices drop and they will come down only after release of dx11 cards..but going straight away for dx11 card wont make sense as it would not be used widely immediately..so going for dx10.1 card at the least makes sense now ;)

^^ Absolutely !
So you can go for a DX10.1 card as of now , obviously the one which is in your budget (don't spend too much).
Use it for a year or so and when you have the cash to buy a dx11 card , go for it. :)

Vandal said:
For you I advise a wait. I tried the whole CF thing with 2x X1900's. Multi GPUs are not worth the premium man, no matter how hard you game. Just wait for NVIDIA's new monolith and dump your GTX 280. Seriously; both SLI and CF are overhyped and just a method of getting you to buy two of your favourite card; not to mention getting you on to a particular chipset and thereby restricting your options.

I mean, I would prolly sell my GTX 285 (if I got one) maybe a year after the GTX 380 launches. In fact I really liked the GTX 280, but was waiting for a cooler running part that was 5-10% faster.

Imax - 3-4 months! You sure?

I tend to disagree a bit here, and I can see why you were dissatisfied, its been almost 3 gen's after x1900, and seriously vandal SLI for sure and cf drivers have considerably improved, I have always noticed, that if there is a right platform i.e. say 1920x1200+ resolution, overclocked proccy, and a game good enough to stress the cards SLI kicks in big time, I have seen tremendous improvements in Crysis/warhead - the 2 most stressful games, and for most other games the fps definitely nearly doubles. Seriously SLI / CF is the only way to go in most games at 2500x1600. My point being if u have a good oced procy, and a game to stress it the results will be there. There is nothing my rig cant handle right now, sometimes I play warhead with 16XQSAA and its still very playable :D

Now from what I have read, I cant find where, but it seemed that end of Q2 beginning of Q3, we could see DX11 coming out, if you remember the last time, in October 06 8800GTX was out and in end of Jan 07 Vista came out, as of right now windows 7 will be out Q3 09, and so it does make sense that dx11 cards come out 2-3months before that.

Vandal said:
Have been playing a lot of WC3 and little else, so I don't know what DX 10 will do to my 8800 GTX, but the prices of GTX 285's look like they will move southwards of the 325$ mark. That represents value for me :p

Should I wait for DX 11 and the GTX 380 (whatever its called) or should I bite now? Will the prices fall more by May-June?

simple question ......
is ur present card (8800GTX ) is able to run all the games u play ?

if yes, then wait for DX11 cards to be released OR for prices of GTX285 to come down ...........as u don't need it badly .....right ?

if NO , i say sell ur 8800GTX & get 4870 512MB @12.8k .......that will handle all ur games (on ur 20.1" Monitor)& would be enough to handle games that will be released before WINDOWS 7 is released .......so 4870 will help u hold ur horses & would not be huge damage .

so in all ,NO GTX285 for now :no:
4870 only if , not satisfied with current performance ........

Back