Graphic Cards GTX 460 to take on HD5850

Anubis

Skilled
GTX 460 to take on HD5850

Coming June 1

According to expreview.com, Nvidia will introduce another Fermi iteration on June 1.

The card, designated GTX 460, will take on AMD's HD 5850 both in terms of price and performance. It will pack 1GB of GDDR5 memory on a 256-bit bus, but there is still no info on the possible clocks or the number of shaders.

Nvidia's planned GTS 450 is rumoured to feature 192 shaders, while the GTX 470 has 448, so the new card should fit somewhere in between, which leaves a lot of room for speculation. We can only guesstimate that it will end up around 400 mark. (416, 384, take your pick. sub.ed.)

Nvidia will let partners mess around with the design, s a lot of non-reference cards can be expected.

More here.

http://en.expreview.com/2010/04/08/geforce-gtx-460-to-arrive-in-early-june/7014.html

Source : Fudzilla - GTX 460 to take on HD5850

Now we ll see some serious price cut wars :D Whoever wins, we loose :D

i mean the cash lose, but performance will get cheaper for given price. Thank GOD.

^ Hope so... but June it still far, and so far nVidia's track record on meeting deadlines has been anything but spot-on... and the price cuts will only happen if the 460 is competitive on price-power-performance ratio. Anything less and ATi won't see the need to make any drastic price cuts. At best, they'll shave off $10-20 with/without MIRs.

Although the overall Price-to-Performance ratio is pretty good enough on HD5000 series, everyone would still want price cuts... but frankly, I wouldn't hold my breath on it. :)

The Fermi architecture seems to inefficient, so in terms of power and temperature the GTX460 should still trail behind the HD5850 hence I agree with iGO, if it is then it will be $10-20 with/without MIRs.

hey iGo howz it going dude, long time we spoken.

i can see myself getting this if the heat and temps. are decent. and obviously if they don't cripple the number of shader units, clocks etc. still wouldn't touch one without a decent cooler though :p

Dont think it would be wise to expect price cuts. Nvidia are NOT known for aggressive pricing. That has always been ATI's thing. If anything, Nvidia will probably give comaparable performance and price the new card 10-20$ above the 5850.

I am least interested in Fermi . I mean seriously 94c in just 26c ambient temperature . Fermi is not at all meant for hot and humid India . Keeping Fermi in an Indian PC is next to having a microwave / instant heater inside .

What I am interested is in the production numbers of Fermi . The more the merrier and it will instantly bring down ATI 5xxx prices down .

Don't expect to buy Nvidia DX11 until 2nd generation Fermi is out on q4 2010 :p ( actually q3 2011 :D )

And yeah I am also desperately waiting for Phenom II x6 . My hands are itching to grab 1

94c with 26c ambient would surely end up in a dead card in India. It's thermal limit is 104c or something. And it surelly gonna be around 110c with some dust inside after 3~4 months, and ambient of 32~35.

dOm1naTOr said:
94c with 26c ambient would surely end up in a dead card in India. It's thermal limit is 104c or something. And it surelly gonna be around 110c with some dust inside after 3~4 months, and ambient of 32~35.

i guess that is why they are releasing it after 3 months.. when hopefully summer ends :p

once heard, theyve to reduce the clocks on their 3rd revision [yup 3rd], before the release itself, to keep in control the thermals and power requirements. Still its kinda killing the wafer.

comp@ddict said:
3 months later in Delhi

Humidity - 90%
Temperature - 46C

LOL, that card will cook faster than my omlette.

Think about Kolkata . Humidity is 97-98% and temps touching 40-45c . Just start your pc and voila , instant GTX 4xx omlette ready to serve

Nobody in India will dare buy these hothead cards. GTX 4xx cards are not at all for hot and humid countries and definitely not for India :no::no:

Back