Graphic Cards GTX 670 from US or local?

sku11_munch3r

Disciple
Hey guys, I'm new here.

Considering building a gaming rig, Specs are i5 3750k, Gigabyte Z77 Mobo, CM 650 watt PSU, 8GB Corsair or G Skill Ram 1600.

Now onto the GPU, Im considering a GTX 670 as I want it to play the latest games on Ultra on a 23 inch Dell monitor (1080p res).

Heres where it gets complicated, I have a relative coming down from the US next month and I can get the EVGA GTX 670 FTW edition for 408 USD which is approx 21,500 RS. Not sure if I should go for it though due to warranty concerns and such. Really confused atm.:23:

What brands of the 670 are recommended locally (Mumbai) ? I know Zotac is selling the card at around 29000. But what about ASUS and EVGA and MSI?

Thanks for the help in advance.
PS: I've posted the link to the EVGA amazon card below.

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Dual-Lin...e=UTF8&qid=1349807967&sr=8-1&keywords=gtx+670

EVGA provides global warranty. Although, I'm not sure how to avail it. I'm also planning to get EVGA 660 from the US.

@sku11_munch3r If you're going to get it from USA then go for EVGA GTX670 OC,If going for it locally which you might have to pay more than abroad go for MSI GTX670 OC-29.5k.Also consider AMD HD7950 W/Boost Edition-29.5k or More,The HD7950 OC boost edition will give you better performance than GTX670 as it's factory overclocked.Here's a comparison between two-AnandTech - Bench - GPU12Hope this helps.:)

the FTW is a great card. if you have to avoid customs, you should remove all the packaging I guess.

in case of warranty I think you have to send it to the service centre in EU on your cost while shipping from their end is borne by them. (needs confirmation from actual users)

_

Thanks for the feedback Jakob. However, does evga have some service Center in india?
I've been reading about EVGA's global warranty, but on their website they have no contact for india.

On the 7950, I am just looking at Nvidia cards at present mainly because a few of my buddies have AMD cards and they are pretty much always running into issues with drivers or just quality in general. Also, the comparison you posted was the gtx 670 a brand OC version like the evga one or a reference model?

Appreciate the help.

- - - Updated - - -

the FTW is a great card. if you have to avoid customs, you should remove all the packaging I guess.

in case of warranty I think you have to send it to the service centre in EU on your cost while shipping from their end is borne by them. (needs confirmation from actual users)

_

Hey DD, will definitely remove the packaging to avoid getting shiested by customs lol.

That's going to suck if I have to send it to a service Center in the EU, btw any idea on what's the procedure like to send a card bought overseas to a service Center somewhere else? Do I use something like UPS or Fed Ex? Or do I just contact the company (evga) directly and do they set it up?

Can anyone with past experience weigh in ? It will be greatly appreciated.

It will cost somewhat close to what itz Priced in India,until u declare it as a Replacement or a Dead Card to avoid Custom Charges! take a Look at Asus 660ti DC2T should perform closer to 670 :)

7970 Price Cut is Now Effective in India,ringing bells at 28.5K over SMCInternational!

@sku11_munch3r it would be better if you bought the card local in my opinion, no issues of sending, receiving the card (hence no customs involved) and AMD cards are finally getting priced decently.

For your needs the AMD HD7950 3GB should be capable enough --
Sapphire AMD/ATI HD 7950 OC Edition 3 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card | Graphics Card | Flipkart.com
Sapphire AMD/ATI HD 7950 3 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card | Graphics Card | Flipkart.com
Sapphire AMD/ATI HD 7870 HDMI OC Edition 2 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card | Graphics Card | Flipkart.com
http://hardwire.in/graphics-cards/461-his-radeon-hd-7870-iceq-2gb.html
http://www.smcinternational.in/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=2111&category_id=33&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=91
http://www.smcinternational.in/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=2216&category_id=33&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=91

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

7970 Price Cut is Now Effective in India,ringing bells at 28.5K over SMCInternational!

Whenever quoting prices from SMC International, please provide the URL because till a few days back they were offering a HD6850 ~8100/- now it is no longer listed.

So just to be safe, not to impinge on the veracity of your information. Cheerio!

P.S. -- I have listed that card.

Last edited by a moderator:
AKAIK, you should contact tirupathi for any query related to EVGA global warranty. They are the distributor of EVGA in India.

I've been reading about EVGA's global warranty, but on their website they have no contact for india.

Like d6bmg said, EVGA does show Tirupathi as their "official" distri for India -

http://www.evga.com/WhereToBuy.asp?t=Distributors

There's one thing I dont get about Tirupathi though.

On their website, the FASTEST Nvidia card I could find was a GTX 580! Similarly, the fastest AMD I found was the 6990. Both these cards are one generation older than what is currently available.

Is it the fact that they don't update their site or are these really the "latest" cards they have in stock?!

1. For all the noise about removing packaging to avoid customs etc, it may not be necessary. When coming to India, Indians can carry along 35k worth of new items without any customs issues. So long as they dont have a lot of other, new packaged stuff, the card can be brought directly in packing and all. All they need to do it carry the bill to prove its value :)

2. While Tirupati is the official distri in India, they will NOT provide warranty service for a card bought in the US.

3. For availing warranty, you will either need to ship it back to your relative in the US, or to the nearest EVGA service center in Europe. You need to pay the shipping cost to send the card and mark it as warranty replacement. EVGA will then RMA it and send it back to you marking it as a replacement card, which will avoid customs on it. EVGA will pay return shipping so you dont need to pay for Europe to India.

Considering that there is a 30% difference in cost, and that too around 10k rupees, I say go ahead and get it from the US :)

Hey everyone, thanks for the amazingly quick replies.
I think that its definitely a risk in getting the card from the US.
Im looking at the Zotac GTX 670 AMP edition and can anyone talk about the quality of Zotac cards, has anyone had any good or bad experience with them?
Also i remember reading somewhere that the "cooler does not make proper contact with the GPU, resulting in high temps" now apparently this can b solved
by using some washers to tighten the gap. However I dont really fancy tampering with the card.

The article is below.
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 680 AMP! Edition 2 GB Review | techPowerUp

Really confused and I need to make up my mind soon. What are the shipping charges like to the EU ? I'd rather pay a little more (If 10k is a little :p) than spend the same in shipping charges in case the card needs to be repaired.

Once again thanks a lot.

Hey everyone, thanks for the amazingly quick replies.
I think that its definitely a risk in getting the card from the US.
Im looking at the Zotac GTX 670 AMP edition and can anyone talk about the quality of Zotac cards, has anyone had any good or bad experience with them?
Also i remember reading somewhere that the "cooler does not make proper contact with the GPU, resulting in high temps" now apparently this can b solved
by using some washers to tighten the gap. However I dont really fancy tampering with the card.

Really confused and I need to make up my mind soon. What are the shipping charges like to the EU ? I'd rather pay a little more (If 10k is a little :p) than spend the same in shipping charges in case the card needs to be repaired.

Options in India are really expensive and the shipping charges to and fro EU will not amount to ~10000/-.

The only issue is which company is the easiest to service, even if you manage to import the card.

eVGA may have an International warranty cover clause but hardly anything apart from that, no material to back it up, so it might be risky buying stuff from a brand that hardly has a presence in India.

Consider cards from Sapphire, GIGABYTE, ASUS and MSi for AMD Radeon based options. For nVidia you have the following options -- ASUS, ZOTAC! and MSi.

AMD options --
Sapphire AMD/ATI HD 7950 OC Edition 3 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card | Graphics Card | Flipkart.com
Sapphire AMD/ATI HD 7950 3 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card | Graphics Card | Flipkart.com
Sapphire AMD/ATI HD 7870 HDMI OC Edition 2 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card | Graphics Card | Flipkart.com
Buy HIS Radeon 7870 IceQ Online | India
MSI R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC Graphic Card
MSI R7950-2PMD3GD5/OC

nVidia options --
Zotac NVIDIA GTX660 Ti 2GB ( ZT-60801-10P) 2 GB DDR5 Graphics Card | Graphics Card | Flipkart.com
Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 (ZT-60304-10P) 2 GB DDR5 Graphics Card | Graphics Card | Flipkart.com
Buy MSI GTX 680 Online | India
ASUS GTX 670 Direct CU 2GB - Hardwire.in
Buy MSI GTX 670 Online | India
Buy MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition Online | India

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Back