[Guide] Spotting ecommerce site red flags

calvin1719

Mostly harmless.
Adept
I saw this thread and was just going to put this there, but I thought it'd be more useful as a general guide.
A lot of you may already know these, and more, ways, so if I've missed anything please let me know.

Going to be using the website mentioned in that thread as an example, backpacks-online[dot]com.

1. Check contact details
    Ideally you want at least a street address and a phone number. Look up the street address in Google Maps and check street view, check if you can see the business' sign.

Red Flag 1: The site has no contact number.
    1692373420121.png

Red Flag 2: The address doesn't exist.
    1692373488115.png

2. Check privacy policy and terms and conditions

Ideally, any legitimate privacy policy/terms and conditions will identify clearly the company which is enforcing these. It may say something like "XYZ, LLC doing business as ABC Brand" or "XYZ, LLC trading as ABC Brand" etc.

Red Flag 3: Privacy policy mentions a name completely different than the domain with no clear link between the two specified. Terms and conditions switch between the two names.
    1692374209539.png

3. Check domain registration info, see how long it's been registered - this is to see if it's an established business

Use https://whois.com and the search bar at the top right.
    Red Flag 4: Recently registered domain, registered in China
    1692374361761.png

4. Check for anomalies on product pages

Red Flag 5: Why are they talking about shipping candles on a page or a climbing backpack? :tearsofjoy:
    1692374480855.png

5. Check for shipping information etc, see if it makes sense

1692374598535.png

Red Flag 6: DPD does not operate in the US, and the last line about essential items seems off.
    Do a Google Search with an exact line from this text, in double-quotes. Seems they have copied this from an Irish site, https://www.harveynorman.ie/customer-services/delivery.html :
    1692374723994.png

Any 1 or 2 red flags should be enough to make you avoid sites like these, but if you're still unsure, remember that prices too good to be true usually are.

Attachments

• 1692373393689.png
    1692373393689.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 46
Much appreciated.
Very well pointed out.

I almost got tempted to buy a $300 backpack for $90. Price was very tempting and I did check the contact details and saw the address but did not further verified it on Google.

Thank you.
It will help many here.

These Chinese are behaving like Nigerians scammers...3rd largest economy ke baad ab chori pe utar Aya hai.

Back