h264 is too complicated for CPU

zhopudey

Skilled
We were shocked when we found out that the Athlon 64, FX, dual core X2, Pentium 4 or even dual core Pentium D won't be able to play this content for you. It's simply too complicated for the poor CPU to play back.
WTF????

Source

Ein said:
Check out Apple's recommendations here.

Download sample H264 clips and try them out.

I found this to be the shortest clip, at 14.3 MB, 960x540.

Bear in mind that u'll need "QuickTime 7 for Windows Public Preview " to play back the clips... that's another 24.5 MB

i think apple has tweaked the videos to its benefits so that other systems come down on its knees when processing it some loop theory or smthin i find this xtremely propaganda stuff wat du u think guys

You will need a graphic card with some dedicated transistor gates to be able to play back H264 content. Right now, the still unavailable but soon to arrive R520 is the only piece of graphic hardware demonstrated and capable of handling H264 content.

R520 can play H264 video content while Nvidia so far failed to prove that its G70, Geforce 7800GTX is capable of doing so. Nvidia claims it can but Nvidia has failed to prove that to the INQ and to the rest of the world. We will ask Nvidia again how it can be done on a Geforce 7800GTX.
ATi RULES Again ??? Sid's comments please :D

Tried it on my Tbred-B currently at 9.5x211(2.01Ghz),which just slightly exceeds a AXP 2600+ in performance and it sure isn't smooth,cpu utilization is at a constant 100%.May be it should work on an A64 2800+ or above but cpu utilization will still be in the 80% or so region.

Any A64 guy esp. those on overclocked rigs tried this?

The quality is good but not breathteaking,about the same as a very good quality DVD.

well I havent read up much on h264 yetso have lot of questions.
Exactly how much compression does it offer? how much space does the original HD content take anyway?
is h264 useful for current dvds? how does it compare to divx/xvid in that area?

Could someone just give me a link to h264 101? that'll be alot easier.

FAQ at Apple.

How does H.264 compare with MPEG-4 in QuickTime 6?

The MPEG-4 video in QuickTime 6, referred to as MPEG-4 Part 2, plays an important role in the evolution of standards for the Internet and wireless multimedia industries, where it has been widely adopted. H.264, also known as MPEG-4 Part 10, is a newer technology than MPEG-4 Part 2, providing up to four times the frame size of video encoded with the MPEG-4 Part 2 video codec at a given data rate. H.264 will undoubtedly build upon the success of MPEG-4 Part 2.

I interpret the above as meaning that, for the same video (frame size), H264 can perform upto 4x the compression of Divx/Xvid (MPEG-4 Part 2).
Thats probably a best-case scenario, tho.

WE WERE intrigued with H.264 content and the ability to play it back, and we spend two days of testing and finally came to some conclusions. At this time there is no graphic card hardware acceleration for this fancy codec.

It's very CPU dependent and we have some advice for both Intel,AMD and Apple computer users.

From the Inq

Well the quicktime codec is crap compared to the Microsoft WMV9 codec. I downloaded the V for Vendetta trailer (1080p) recently and the damn thing crawled at <1fps on my A64 with a couple of gigs of ram. WMV HD movies in comparison(same 1080p quality) run perfectly fine with <60% CPU utilization. On top of that I dont even have the VMR acceleration patch installed! So its doing it on cpu. Its just plain bad coding on apple's part.

Hint for you all.
Dont use Quicktime to play those videos.
Just install quicktime and use VLC media player.
CPU usage with VLC is half that of Quicktime while playing 480p and 1080p files and perfectly playable even on a 3Ghz Pentium 4 and Athlon 64 3000+.
Much better performance compared to the Quicktime.
VLC is ultimate video player. A must install on every system.

Back