Hacking Motorola MH702X: Where to start?

napstersquest

Thread Police
Adept
Hello TE,

I recently bought: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0CL4Y1X48/ Motorola MH7022 which is a router-satellite pair that has two 5GHz bands, one reserved only for mesh backhaul.

I haven't tried wired backhaul.

The package contains 2 units, identical in hardware except one has sticker 'Router' and the other has 'Satellite'.

The MotoSync app does not work. Upon factory reset/first setup, once you connect to LAN port/WiFi of the router, you can access the admin page, for which the screenshots are already shared by @greenhorn here.
Consider Motorola/Lenovo support to be dead.

The Satellite automatically connects to its paired router (Both Router and Satellite in one set have same default SSID and password mentioned on sticker at the back).

The Satellite from one set does NOT pair with Router from another set, it's WiFi never comes up.

I bought 2 sets of 2 units each, for science. I believe the hardware is capable enough for the price. AC2200. But one 5GHz band is reserved for backhaul only.

Now onto the journey of trying to hack it.

The routers (All containing same exact hardware) are sold in 4 different flavors. The MH7020 is satellite-only, which allows pairing with existing router. MH7021 is standalone router, supports adding satellites (max 2 additional - of kind MH7020). MH7022 is paired-set, one router and one satellite (supports adding one more satellite - perhaps of kind MH7020). MH7023 is paired-set as well, one router and 2 satellites.

What I would like to do:
  • Custom firmware? Don't know where to start at all. The SoC, flash, memory etc details are not to be found anywhere.
  • Maybe flash MH7020 firmware onto any satellite to allow it to re-pair?
  • Change the router to which a satellite connects to, so that I can use one satellite (MH7022) from another set into my MH7022 set?
I remember reading somewhere, that some ISP has the ability to do the conversion and pairing.

Where do I start? Since I have 2 sets, I am happy with hardware tinkering if required.

FYI @kuduku here we go, i was in the same boat and was planning to go for the same. Did search online, did not find anything custom for it, nor much reviews. Max reviews i saw were on walmart for the same. Very few youtube videos too for this model. In the end dropped the idea as was not sure, if this has ethernet backhaul also due to lack fo Wi FI 6.

Flashing the firmware appears reasonably safe as they have the same hardware but could still leave the device bricked in case there are subtle changes in hardware internally that you might not know of.

You can maybe choose to return this quoting the item is faulty and look for other refurbished options.

Another way is try downloading a older version of the motosync app, maybe they have the device not restricted there, hail mary but might just help you out.

Flashing the firmware appears reasonably safe as they have the same hardware but could still leave the device bricked in case there are subtle changes in hardware internally that you might not know of.

You can maybe choose to return this quoting the item is faulty and look for other refurbished options.

Another way is try downloading a older version of the motosync app, maybe they have the device not restricted there, hail mary but might just help you out.
The app is just a frontend to their cloud APIs which have shut down.
For the price I paid, the 2-piece set still works and is pretty good so not planning to return it.

My main question is, how do I flash the firmware? Where to start? How do I back up and edit the firmware?

What is the objective and what firmware will you flash ? Does the admin page have any option to upload the firmware ? See the last post -
Have seen that post on reddit, and all the other few ones that mention anything closely related to it. The admin page only has option to check for updates, not for uploading/downloading firmware.

What firmware:
If I am able to flash one 7022 with another's (from other set) that is victory for me. Or to edit the router the satellite pairs to.
In that case I can use 1 router + 2 satellites in one home, and 1 router in another (in-laws) where they don't need much coverage, all for ₹6000.

Have seen that post on reddit, and all the other few ones that mention anything closely related to it. The admin page only has option to check for updates, not for uploading/downloading firmware.
Then you are out of luck. If you can open it up and identify the H/w and if it has any diagnostic ports (serial etc.), then try asking in the OpenWRT forums for some guidance as a developer.

I Googled in detail , no 3rd party firmware exists . also read the Reddit thread about no WIRED backhaul so dropped it
  • Change the router to which a satellite connects to, so that I can use one satellite (MH7022) from another set into my MH7022 set?
Where do I start? Since I have 2 sets, I am happy with hardware tinkering if required.
Try with LAN , connecting all together . Reset satellite you want to add to existing 2 device MESH with LAN . Does it pickup that network upon reset with LAN connected
Also check wired backhaul

Last edited:
Have seen that on the motorola support site. But not as useful at it doesn't have technical specs like SoC, flash storage, RAM etc
Also check their performance as DUMB APs . I have adblock/DHCP etc running on a separate managed switch and a PC . My present MESH with 3x 1200Mbps Routers is also dumb AP .
So i require them as DUMB APs only with WIRED backhaul

Also check their performance as DUMB APs . I have adblock/DHCP etc running on a separate managed switch and a PC . My present MESH with 3x 1200Mbps Routers is also dumb AP .
So i require them as DUMB APs only with WIRED backhaul
My use case is same. It doesn't have AP mode, but if we disable DHCP on router and plug cable into 2nd (LAN) port, it takes IP from existing router and internet works.

I am starting to test it now.
Curiously, the sticker at the back on all 4 of them states model as MH7021. Same part numbers on all of them.

My use case is same. It doesn't have AP mode, but if we disable DHCP on router and plug cable into 2nd (LAN) port, it takes IP from existing router and internet works.

I am starting to test it now.
Curiously, the sticker at the back on all 4 of them states model as MH7021. Same part numbers on all of them.
All are same hardware wise so Product code should be same
Also check iPV6 error as read on reddit , if you have iPV6

Here are my findings.
  • One Satellite from one set can be paired easily with router of another set.
    Just boot the new satellite in the viscinity of the Router, and it configures everything (The SSID, Password etc) over the hidden 5GHz band.
  • Wired Backhaul must be working. Here is how I know:
    • I plugged the router in one end and satellite in other end of the house. Did not connect any ethernet cable into the satellite. Bandwidth was ~30mb/s on fast.com, the main unit (router)'s status page showed 22% signal strength. The Satellite itself had blue light in the logo (indicating OK connection, not great).
      Screenshot taken on Nord 2, near Main Router.
      Screenshot_2024-10-23-22-22-26-34_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg
    • When I plugged ethernet cable into LAN port of Satellite, logo went to green. Local speedtest ~550mb/s and ping ~9ms. (Ping similar to other WiFi I already had) Note that the main router needs to be in AP mode and both router and satellite must be plugged into switch with their LAN ports.
    • IMG_20241023_224257.jpg
      IMG_20241023_223546.jpg
  • How to set Router into AP mode:
    • Simply connect its LAN port to your switch. Please note the Admin web dashboard is not accessible when you do this. It only works when it is in router mode (probably if I enable port forwarding for port 80 of router, it might work, as my home LAN is like WAN for it).
  • How to set all of this up:
    • Boot all units near each other, only connecting the Router unit with its WAN port.
    • Connect to WiFi using credentials mentioned on sticker.
    • Set up your SSID and Password, Guest WiFi if needed. You won't be able to do this once you put the router in AP mode.
    • Unplug satellites, put them in their places and connect using their LAN ports with your switch.
    • Turn off router, change the connection from WAN port to LAN port, boot it up. Your WiFi settings should stick, and your devices should get IP from your existing router. Et Voila!
  • Some things to remember:
    • These things take a lot of time to boot. 4-5 minutes.
    • Main router logo will keep blinking green, because it thinks it's WAN isn't connected.

Last edited:
Here are my findings
  • When I plugged ethernet cable into LAN port of Satellite, logo went to green. Local speedtest ~550mb/s and ping ~9ms. (Ping similar to other WiFi I already had) Note that the main router needs to be in AP mode and both router and satellite must be plugged into switch with their LAN ports.
  • View attachment 211924View attachment 211923
Can we know your connection speeds and more pics of speedtests pls
Like 1 & 2 near router on LAN then WIFI
3 next Room on router with WIFI
4 Connected to Satellite in next room
5 and farther most on satellite on WIFI
On amazon it's showing at price of 3k however I'm not convinced with seller. Amazon is not showing as preferred partner.
We have at least 2 users with 6 devices purchased from same seller . Its Amazon delivered , Make a video while taking delivery and opening it .
FYI I am not related to seller .......

Last edited:
Like 1 & 2 near router on LAN then WIFI
3 next Room on router with WIFI
4 Connected to Satellite in next room
5 and farther most on satellite on WIFI
Didn't understand what you meant by LAN and then WiFi. These don't have LAN ports since I am using the only LAN port it had

In screenshots I attached, 4 and 5 are there. Bedroom 2 is next room, Living room is the farthest one.

I have 240mb/s internet, and all speed tests were local only (Openspeedtest running on my NAS).
Speedtest results on local host are almost as same as I got on Asus AC-68U (with respect to ping and bandwidth both).

fast.com speed tests maxed out the 240mb/s conenction near every satellite/router.

Didn't understand what you meant by LAN and then WiFi. These don't have LAN ports since I am using the only LAN port it had

In screenshots I attached, 4 and 5 are there. Bedroom 2 is next room, Living room is the farthest one.

I have 240mb/s internet, and all speed tests were local only (Openspeedtest running on my NAS).
Speedtest results on local host are almost as same as I got on Asus AC-68U (with respect to ping and bandwidth both).

fast.com speed tests maxed out the 240mb/s conenction near every satellite/router.
So You have a 240Mbps connection and are getting same speeds but Pics were showing 704 Mbps and 511 Mbps
I meant connect laptop with LAN port of router do a speedtest( through a switch if required ) , same place connect with WIFI do a speed test
Go to farther most room check with Router ( Satellite off)
Switch on Satellite and do a speed test same location . Now because satellite connection will be better device will pick that up on wireless

What this will achieve is Same place loss in network over WIFI using Router
Farther most place , speeds using only router then satellite , loss due to satellite

So You have a 240Mbps connection and are getting same speeds but Pics were showing 704 Mbps and 511 Mbps
Because those speed tests are with openspeedtest server running on my NAS.
I meant connect laptop with LAN port of router do a speedtest( through a switch if required ) , same place connect with WIFI do a speed test
There's only one LAN port, and that connects to my main switch. Can't connect another device to LAN. So LAN test between two devices on the Moto router isn't possible with config I have.
Using a switch, connecting Moto device and another client to the switch, well it won't go through the Moto Router when it is in AP mode.
Go to farther most room check with Router ( Satellite off)
Switch on Satellite and do a speed test same location . Now because satellite connection will be better device will pick that up on wireless
Signal strength was 15-20% as seen on Moto dashboard. Speeds were 10mb/s. Don't have a screenshot, but have tested this, and that's why I know that wired backhaul was working.

Back