Hair oil vs cream

Do you prefer using hair oil or hair cream?

• Total voters

Emrebel

Adept
I have been using different hair oils for a long time but never liked the stickiness and intense smell.
I have been looking at hair cream as potential replacement of oil.
What are your opinions?
Also if you can recommend any products.

I've tried J&J's baby hair oil. It is significantly less viscous.

Never thought about this. Are there any specific products you looked into? I thought being sticky to retain the hairstyle & having some "attractive" smell is the primary gimmick of the entire industry.

I've tried J&J's baby hair oil. It is significantly less viscous.

Never thought about this. Are there any specific products you looked into? I thought being sticky to retain the hairstyle & having some "attractive" smell is the primary gimmick of the entire industry.
I cannot bear strong smell and also don’t like it when it rains and the hairs are oily.
I see alot of hair cream ads on insta and feel they are somewhat gimmicky. That’s why I was interested in knowing if any forum member has been using hair cream.

I left using hair oil- close to 16 years now when one of my family members suggested me that washing hair daily and daily oiling is harmful.
But seems it was all fake or may be the change didn't suit my hair as back then my hair was thick and strong hence no styling issue whatsoever.
Now my hair go curly when their length starts increasing where earlier it was never the case.

And oiling before night or before shampooing etc. is a boring job at least for me as these things are best done after bathing while grooming.

Now laziness kicked in esp. since the habit gone broken as it has been around 15-16yrs and I hardly oil my hair and gels/creams are a strict no-no as they prematurely grey your hair or do some or the other damage unless its is medically prescribed by a trichologist..

I have been using different hair oils for a long time but never liked the stickiness and intense smell.
What are your opinions?
Also if you can recommend any products.
Switched to hair serum couple years back and found it to be the most convenient solution.

A good normal hair oil massage is always good for hair, scalp and head, get it done atleast once a week to keep ur scalp free from dust and dandruff. That itself will improve ur hair growth and quality.
If ur work in a/c environment or travel less, u can try less sticky oils from parachute or hair and care, they are light on pocket and less smelly.
If u have daily travel or in dusty env, oil is strict no as ur hair becomes dusty, ur face becomes oily and u cannot do even a simple face wash and run ur hands thru ur hair as that makes ur hands oily and ur hair frizzy.
Serums like Silk and shine and streax does good job. Smells nice.
Never liked brylcream and set wet creams , felt waste of money.
Currently using Himalaya protein hair cream from couple of years, its good, suggest u to try once

I used same serum for few months but didn't found any benefits as such so discontinued.
It keeps the hair in check through the day and doesn't have any stickiness. Some of the Indian brands I tried simply repackaged oil as a hair serum which is impossible to have applied on a hot day, because leaving stains everywhere if you touch your hair.

Creams and gels simply ruin the hair to keep it in place, without offering the right nutrition or protection. Hence, I found this to be the best solution that does the job of oil without feeling like oil.

It keeps the hair in check through the day and doesn't have any stickiness. Some of the Indian brands I tried simply repackaged oil as a hair serum which is impossible to have applied on a hot day, because leaving stains everywhere if you touch your hair.

Creams and gels simply ruin the hair to keep it in place, without offering the right nutrition or protection. Hence, I found this to be the best solution that does the job of oil without feeling like oil.
Ya no stickiness and should be applied very light else once you step out dirt and pollution will stick to it making hair and then the scalp dirty!

If your problem is sticky hair or excess oil then try one of these:
1) Apply hair oil to wet hair, right after showering. You'll end up using less oil and it's easier to style wet hair.
2) Apply little more than the usual amount of hair oil right before showering. No need of lengthy massage; just quick application of oil. Then wash your hair with diluted shampoo. You'll end up with just the right amount of hair oil and soft hair.
3) Use hair conditioner. This will allow you to use less hair oil afterwards.
4) Use less amount of shampoo/soap to wash your hair and avoid clarifying shampoo. The idea is to not dry up the hair completely so that you end up using less oil for styling.
5) Some oils evaporate quickly. Try them. I've found Keo Karpin, J&J's baby hair oil, some serums etc to vanish after few hours.

If you are looking for a replacement of hair oil (and not a solution for sticky hair) then you'll need to try a lot of products, as the end result depends 100% on your hair type and hair style. e.g. If you can't set your hair without using oil, then serums and light oils won't work on you. Also, you won't find perfume-less products so easily in India.

I've tried every kind of hair product except hair colors, dyes and mehndi. I make my own concoctions as well. What I've ended up doing is changing my hair products according to the weather/season.

After using hundreds of readymade and homemade products, I can tell you that they don't leave a lasting impact on your hair. They won't turn your hair gray prematurely or won't increase/decrease the hair fall either. Your genes and the food/supplements you ingest play that role.

If your problem is sticky hair or excess oil then try one of these:
1) Apply hair oil to wet hair, right after showering. You'll end up using less oil and it's easier to style wet hair.
2) Apply little more than the usual amount of hair oil right before showering. No need of lengthy massage; just quick application of oil. Then wash your hair with diluted shampoo. You'll end up with just the right amount of hair oil and soft hair.
3) Use hair conditioner. This will allow you to use less hair oil afterwards.
4) Use less amount of shampoo/soap to wash your hair and avoid clarifying shampoo. The idea is to not dry up the hair completely so that you end up using less oil for styling.
5) Some oils evaporate quickly. Try them. I've found Keo Karpin, J&J's baby hair oil, some serums etc to vanish after few hours.

If you are looking for a replacement of hair oil (and not a solution for sticky hair) then you'll need to try a lot of products, as the end result depends 100% on your hair type and hair style. e.g. If you can't set your hair without using oil, then serums and light oils won't work on you. Also, you won't find perfume-less products so easily in India.

I've tried every kind of hair product except hair colors, dyes and mehndi. I make my own concoctions as well. What I've ended up doing is changing my hair products according to the weather/season.

After using hundreds of readymade and homemade products, I can tell you that they don't leave a lasting impact on your hair. They won't turn your hair gray prematurely or won't increase/decrease the hair fall either. Your genes and the food/supplements you ingest play that role.
Nice details. I have been experimenting something. After applying oil, I used aloe vera on my hairs during shower. It resulted in smooth shiny hairs with less oil.
I have also tried multiple hair oils and slowly switched to less sticky ones.

Agreed. Never liked the gels for styling. And applying oil on a hot or rainy day is horrible experience.

why not make coconut hair oil yourself.?
process is not that difficult plus you can guarantee of 100% genuine product, also no smell..
i cant stand usual parachute products now..

@chyawanprash , found out 1st 2 tricks by accidents.. great to know others follow too..

Insta really knows what I am thinking

IMG_8649.jpeg

Back