Halogen Stoves

They work with all utensils (except for enamel bottoms) and are very convenient to clean. No issue of dealing with gas cylinder suppliers either.

Where are they available in Bangalore? I see single hobs for ~Rs3k in online stores. Any idea about price for a 4 hob cooktop? Why are they not more common? Please share your experience using them.

TIA!

Why are they not more common?
My guess is that they are not economical in a 4 hob configuration.

I used halogen lights when i lived abroad, wonderful lighting you bounce of the ceiling, no ceiling fans just plain white ceiling to reflect the light everywhere uniformly. But the electricity meter turns like crazy. In India where we have slabs to discourage use i doubt these will be cost effective in more than one hob configuration.

6pack, i wondered myself WTH a halogen stove is. Its just a halogen light that heats up and transfers the heat like a electric stove. There is more control over the heat and its advantage is it does not require containers with iron in them to work unlike induction. Induction is more efficient because there is no conduction loss. I'd have thought induction stoves would be easier to find in 4 hobs, as most people cook with stainless steel vessels. We dumped aluminium a long time back, for controversial reasons.

Read this thread for a more informative discussion.

You can easily get a built-in hob with 4 burners if you are willing to loosen up your pockets. :)

All the high end kitchen appliances brands have them.

^ Can you give some examples? I dont see anyone selling a 4 hob halogen cooktop here. I dont find even the single hob in stores (most just offer induction models).

Not able to find a better video of a halogen hob...

these are high end models of Kaff, Elica, Faber, Capella etc... or just search online for their "display only" showrooms for your area and check them out personally.

These are high end models and you may not get a cooktop version.

^ Can you give some examples? I dont see anyone selling a 4 hob halogen cooktop here. I dont find even the single hob in stores (most just offer induction models).
Not able to find a better video of a halogen hob...
Funny how the guy says aaahhh frequently :D
I still did not understand how it works exactly. I think these the same which are also known as coil stove. they were used a lot before during the kerosene era but they consume too much power and are risky (electric shock risk due to metal body).

aaah isn't it :rolleyes::banghead::dead:

Halogen stoves are one of the slowest and least efficient.
A clearly better one is the Induction stove which is faster and more efficient then other cooking methods.

if you'd used one, you'd know that it's not a coil stove! moreover, a halogen stove has a ceramic or glass top... so no risk of electric shocks. halogen stoves adapt to the area covered by utensils' bottoms - so, less energy is wasted.

if you'd used one, you'd know that it's not a coil stove! moreover, a halogen stove has a ceramic or glass top... so no risk of electric shocks. halogen stoves adapt to the area covered by utensils' bottoms - so, less energy is wasted.
Yes I have never used it. I have 4 gas cylinders so never try such fancy stuff. And yeah just googled and found out that it is not the coil one. This one is very much like the induction but only used halogen bulb.
And I said "I think" I did not claim that it was the coil one :)
But anyways the video man is still funny.... shared the video in my team and every one is laughing now :)

LPG ,Coil and Halogen stove are around 40 ,55 ,60 percent efficient respectively. Where as a induction stove is only heating up the utensil it doesn't heat the ceramic glass or surroundings and is close to 85% efficient.

I fail to see how any electrical method of cooking will succeed in a country with numerous power cuts sometimes daily. Gas is not efficient but is still the cheapest. When restaurants move to these new methods of cooking i will reconsider.

The main issue here is the inability or unwillingness of the OP to source a gas cylinder, because of non-refundable 'deposit' or whatever unstated reasons.

I have a gas cylinder and 2 burner stove already. Just noticed that my ignore list was lost with the forum upgrade - restored it and the thread looks great.

halogen stoves adapt to the area covered by utensils' bottoms - so, less energy is wasted.

That is good to know. I wasn't able to find any halogen models on Kaff, Celica or Fabers website. Can you help me find some resources?

^^ You may see these models in company's "display only" shops. Some brands invest in such displays. I've been to Kaff's "display only" showroom in Gurgaon and they've got all the models on display there, including the discontinued and imported ones. There is one such showroom for Capella in Delhi.

Indian websites are not updated with the latest information. I was told about this by Cata's regional head. Kaff guys told me the same story, when I enquired about a model from their website. I have lots of brochures stowed away somewhere in my house. I'll post the details if I manage to find them. Also, you can get a combination hob as well - e.g., with 1 halogen and 3 gas burners.

BTW, this is how built-in halogen hobs look like:
4burners.jpgadaptive.pngcombination1.jpgcombination2.png

I wonder how the halogen and induction people use Wok/Kadhai in their cooking?

Agreed with the fact that electrical methods are actually environmentally unclean compared to LPG.
The fact is that in India more than 80% of electricity is made from THERMAL power plants.
That means some fuel is being burnt somewhere. We convert this to electricity, transmit it to our homes, and use electricity to generate heat. Inefficiencies at each stage.

Now compared to LPG stove. Direct burning on stove. Heat.

Back