Car & Bike Hammond in pole position for BBC job

abbY

Skilled
Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond is in pole position to become the lead commentator when the BBC takes over the broadcasting of F1 races next season.
With the BBC announcing they've bought the rights to F1 from Bernie Ecclestone after ITV's withdrawal, the race is now on to see who will take over from James Allen and Martin Brundle as the UK's new commentators.
And according to the Times, Hammond, who survived a high-speed crash while trying to break the British land speed record for Top Gear two years ago, is the most likely candidate for the job.
The newspaper also reported that the BBC are planning on letting the 'Hamster', as Hammond is known, along with Jeremy Clarkson and James May, loose at grand prix weekends in an attempt to extend the audience beyond "petrolheads."

Link->Hammond in pole position for BBC job - Planet-F1 News - from planet-f1.com

OH MAN !!! That would be AWESOME !!

Hamster, May and Clarkson would be simply brilliant !! It would turn into a comedy show and I am not complaining one bit !!

How I pray this comes true !! I'll start skipping the races on TV to download the BBC version !!

^^same here...have u guyz watched Top Ground Gear Force .......the new one off episode

but coming to the point I would just love to watch the trio hosting F1

This would be pretty awesome indeed. Now, they just need to fit that program in with the others, or better yet. Just create a sports channel for this.

Am I the only one who disagrees with this?

Come to think of it, IMHO they wouldn't be suitable for the commentary especially since they are not that keen about F1.

Kumar said:
Am I the only one who disagrees with this?

Come to think of it, IMHO they wouldn't be suitable for the commentary especially since they are not that keen about F1.

Who cares ? They rock. Their sense of humour is awesome indeed !! they will make F1 more enjoyable and funnier. F1 is kinda boring now.... and the current commentators are getting boring.

Hamster heads to the Beeb - Hammond to cover F1 for BBC

Formula 1 will hit the BBC air waves in 2009 after a long run on ITV. The move will require new figureheads to sit at the desk, and London's Times has said that Top Gear's Richard Hammond is the top man for the job. Economics at least partially drove ITV's decision to withdraw from F1 coverage. The coverage is expensive, so making money is challenging, even with newly rising star Lewis Hamilton making F1 more interesting for UK viewers.

Hammond's presence might help broaden the appeal beyond just racing fans, as would guest appearances by Jeremy Clarkson and James May, Hammond's cohorts on Top Gear. Letting Clarkson and May prowl the paddock could offer priceless moments of color commentary that would set YouTube alight. The BBC also plans to update the look, feel and pace of its coverage, and fans will be able to get at the presentation more easily with races going out across broadband digital outlets in addition to the standard radio and television. Thanks for the tip, Eric!

Hamster heads to the Beeb - Hammond to cover F1 for BBC - Autoblog

EDIT: Oops it was just the same article no new news guys sorry!

Though I am personally a huge Hammond fan, i have no clue how the hell he will pull of F1 commentary or show. I mean sure, in pre race, post race you can throw in typical Hammond content, but F1 has never been funny/humorous business, it never will be. I see big red blinking light here or Hammond will have to be very unlike himself which i would hate even more.

Back