Hands-on Review: Sony Play Station Portable

I would like to share with you my hands on experience with my Sony PSP, which not only plays games but also music & movies and displays images. Lets start off the review with some technical specs.

Technical Specifications:
- Processor: 333 MHz PSP CPU (underclocked to 222 MHz to save battery life.)
- Internal Memory: 32 MB
- GRAM: 4 MB
- Display: 4.3 inch, 16:9 Wide Screen TFT LCD
- Input: USB 2.0, Memory Stick DUO/ Pro DUO, UMD Media, Wi-Fi, Infrared Direct Access Port
- Multiplayer Connectivity: Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11b (Ad-Hoc and Infrastructure)

Value Pack Contents:
- Sony PSP
- Headphones with remote
- PSP cover with wrist strap
- 32MB Memory Stick DUO
- DC Adaptor/Charger

Must Have addons:
- 256MB+ Memory Stick Pro Duo
- USB Cable
- Carrying Case
- Better quality headphones

Supported Formats:
- Music: MP3, MP4, ATRAC3, WAV
- Video: MP4

The PSP is truly an all round portable entertainment system. It's your MP3 player, gaming console, picture viewer and movie viewer all packed into a small package. The sound quality on the PSP may not be impressive on the PSP's speakers which are not quite loud enough, but plug in the head phones and you have excellent sound quality and volume. Even my compressed 64 KBPS MP3 files sound good with the headphones on. The MP3 playing software is quite basic. It features shuffling, group mode and standard play functions. The one thing that's lacking is a visualization system. That doesn't matter too much though, because you will rarely find yourself staring at the PSP's display while listening to music.

The video quality on the PSP has been improved drastically after the 2.0 firmware update. Video quality similar to UMD video can now be used for Memory Stick video. This means you can watch high quality movies and videos on your PSP, albeit at a higher file size. The video player, like the MP3 player, is quite basic.

The photo viewer on the PSP is quite impressive. Your photos will look amazing on the bright 4.3 inch display. The viewer also has a slideshow mode with some nifty features, like a filmstrip that pops up at the bottom of the screen displaying a scrolling view of all your photos/images. You can exchange your images with nearby PSPs via Wi-Fi. The 2.0 firmware update has also added a wallpaper function, so now you can set any of your images as your PSP's background if you get bored looking at the wavy animated backgrounds. These animated backgrounds change to a different colour every month, which can get annoying sometimes because some of the colours (eg. lime, bright pink, etc.) look extremely bad.

Though many say the battery life is not satisfactory, the truth is it couldn't have been better. The battery can last for over 6 hours when playing games at low brightness. It lasts over 20 hours while continuously listening to MP3s with the display turned off. It will last 6-8 hours while watching movies. Even multiplayer gaming via Wi-Fi can be continued for about 4-5 hours at a stretch. Now, unless someone out there has perfected some new technology to make batteries last much longer with such intensive continuous use, I would say the PSP's battery life is quite good.

One of the most important new additions to the PSP is a web browser. It is very fast and renders pages accurately. Flash is currently not supported, but everything else (internet related) works fine on it. The browser itself has all the functions a browser should have, like tabbed browsing, history, cache and even a mouse pointer which can be controlled by the analog nub!

Right now, it is impossible to pirate the UMDs that the PSP uses for gaming and movies. However, hackers have provided game ISOs that can be run off the Memory Stick. Unfortunately, this only works on older versions of the PSP firmware. It's the same with all of the free software available for the PSP, such as PSP versions of DOOM, Duke Nukem, Heretic, console emulators, homebrew games etc. Only version 1.50 and older can run these software, because Sony added many security measures to versions 1.51+. This is a HUGE turn off for all the people who upgraded their PSP's software, as it cannot be reverted to an older version.

So, overall the PSP is an excellent buy, retailing for just Rs. 13,000 and providing features that would usually cost much more if bought individually in the form of MP3 players, media centres etc. I rate the PSP a 9.5/10 - A MUST BUY portable device.

This concludes my review for now. If you have any questions related to the PSP, please ask me so that I may be able to help you out. :)

Regards,
- Deathdart.

Images of the Sony PSP

psp33dl.jpg

------------------------

Sorry, I couldn't find the signature rules, but I guess there's something against links to private websites or something, so I've removed all links from my signature. Please do give me a link to the signature rules.

ya really nice review........i wanted this stuff....but i m shelling my pocket money on new comp right now.......will get it b4 this year end...my resolution...lol...yup the umd disc is biggest problem...sony gets huge profit on umd...so they will try every masure to stop umd piracy......nyways on wht firmware u r using...i guess its 2.0.......and is it backward compatible...to 1.5 and so?????

and do add pictures dude....also i heard some new battery is going to come ard soon...which will double the timing of the psp.......and yup do keep updated abt it......lik which game is gr8 to play and all....
and bet me guys though xpensive its damn kool stuff to have rather than mobiles..whose price turn down ard 5-10k within a week......

Thanks everyone for reading my review and adding to my rep! (Rep points are up to 2230!!!) Thanks very much. Now to answer some of your queries...

@MAGNeT: I am using firmware 2.0. This firmware runs all current games, but it does not run the free and 'hacked' software available for the PSP. I wouldn't have upgraded my 1.5 if I knew that I could play awesome (older) games on my PSP. I found out about it the day after I upgraded.
About your second query, a new battery is not coming. It's an addon battery pack that's already available and increases the battery life of the PSP by 8 hours. But then you have to carry around an extra battery with you. I would rather just have my 6 hours of portable play. If I have access to a plug point I can just plug in the adapter and play games while charging my battery ;)

@bosky101, tifôsi and all others: Thanks for the comments, rep and rating very much!! :) I will be adding pictures of my PSP hopefully in the next few hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are a few photos of my PSP and a UMD (Ridge Racer). The quality is quite low because these were taken from my bro's cell phone camera:
------------------------
psp33dl.jpg

------------------------
------------------------

EDIT: For some reason, I cannot edit my first post in this thread, so mods could you please edit it and put these images in it?

@Anish - He already posted its 13K

In Mumbai , Inorbit Malls , Malad [West]
Japnese Ver - 11K approx
2 US Versions 12K & 13K approx.

Deathdart said:
So, overall the PSP is an excellent buy, retailing for just Rs. 13,000 and providing features that would usually cost much more if bought individually in the form of MP3 players, media centres etc. I rate the PSP a 9.5/10 - A MUST BUY portable device.

@satanofgamers: The graphics are pretty good. Some games have graphics comparable to the PS2, but mostly it is between the PS1 and PS2 as you said. One thing I dislike is that there's no antialiasing on the PSP, so the display looks pretty pixelated sometimes while playing games, but while on the main menus the display looks nice and smooth.

@Blade_Runner: Thanks for editing my post :)

Back