Graphic Cards Happy With my 9800GT,Why want more?

Rogues

Disciple
So I got a second hand 9800GT 512MB from a TE member and I wanted to say that I am quite happy with my purchase. My monitors native resolution is 1440x900 and I can run Mafia 2 and Call of Duty:MW2 maxed out at around 30 and 45 FPS respectively. Finally I can play games "The way it's meant to be played". Maybe I feel that way because moving from an 8500GT,it's quite an upgrade.

I wanted to know what's with people buying all the 5970's and 5870's.I imagine that even with HD resolutions it's quite an overkill,don't you think?

Also I'd like to thank TE for providing a safe platform from where we can buy stuff even while we live in a shitty place where,if you are a technology enthusiast all hope is lost. 90% of the people here still buy Dual Core's. They think AMD is crap and Intel is the way to go,even if it's priced insanely high. Anyways I've made quite a few purchases already in my short time on TE and each one of them has been a satisfying experience.Thanks a lot TE.

Cheers.

Rogues said:
I wanted to know what's with people buying all the 5970's and 5870's.I imagine that even with HD resolutions it's quite an overkill,don't you think?
Have you actually seen Crysis/MW2/BF:BC2/Metro 2033 etc being played on a 24incher with all the settings maxed out? :)

exactly :p I can't play without a 22" nowdays lol. and 1980*1080 FTW,

[cliché]i'm also playing "the way its meant to be played ! " [/cliché]

completely agree with desecrator and aman27deep

i once had a 5770 on a 22" and it was ubercool

will wait for the day when i could have a high end gpu :)

If those things have 2560x1600 then I guess it makes sense to get a 5970. Still I think for 1080p resolutions a 5850 should suffice no? I doubt it'll make a lot of difference if you play at 50FPS or 100FPS,the human eye and brain can perceive only so much.

Rogues said:
If those things have 2560x1600 then I guess it makes sense to get a 5970. Still I think for 1080p resolutions a 5850 should suffice no? I doubt it'll make a lot of difference if you play at 50FPS or 100FPS,the human eye and brain can perceive only so much.
What do you imply when you say "if those things have 2560x1600"? Are you talking of the highest resolution supported?

Besides, not all games may require a 5850 but the newer ones may. OTOH, Crysis cannot max out with a 5850 and cannot output 35+ frames (which btw is quite playable in Crysis) consistently at the highest settings.

thebanik said:
I am happy with my Wagon-R, I have even run it at 140 Kmph, dunno why people buy Ferrari, :p
You don't wear or drive your graphics outside do you? :p If all you want from your car is to go from Point A to Point B then that statement does stand. People buy Ferrari for the brand value,attention and the pleasure. There are only two main brands as far as graphics card are concerned.

Crysis...hmm I agree that's a different story all together. But I guess I don't see the point of buying a graphics card just so I can play one game maxed out,maybe I just don't have the money to spare. Poor me...

Descrator : Yeah I was referring to the resolution.

If the mods want to change the title,"Anything over 5850 is overkill?" sounds okay?

Cheers.

Rogues said:
You don't wear or drive your graphics outside do you? :p If all you want from your car is to go from Point A to Point B then that statement does stand. People buy Ferrari for the brand value,attention and the pleasure. There are only two main brands as far as graphics card are concerned.

and the Performance

Depends on what kind of games do you play and at what eye candy level.

I cant play a game without minimum 4xAA and 16xAF. I cant tolerate jaggies.

At 1920x1200 which is my native resolution, even GTX 460 does not cut it in many games. Play Metro 2033. It will bring even mighty GTX 480 to its knees. Try playing Crysis with Nuke mod even at your resolution, see what happens when nuke explodes with everything set to high.

its not even about one game anymore. There are plenty of good looking and perfectly fine games out there which can really benefit from a decent GPU. Specially when you play FPS online with large maps and lots of players. You really dont want stutter or even occasional slowdown there. You dont always need a enthusiast GPU. But GTX 460, and 5850 can be considered as bare minimum to really enjoy recent titles at FHD or beyond.

1920x1080 is fast becoming a standard LCD resolution. You either want to buy a high end gpu and upgrade it alternate generation or buy midbudget card and get maximum out of it until games become unplayable.

Then ocassionally you come across cards like 9800pro, 8800GT/GTX, 4870/4850, GTX 280 which lasts a year or more and gives you very good returns for your money. but 9800GT in today's gaming world is only good enough if you play at low resolutions, or you play old games or you are ready to compromise on image quality. Some people are ready to make this compromise. Some wont.

I dont like many games, I try a lot and play only handful of them. But I put the game on hold if I am not satisfied with the performance my machine is giving. I am yet to complete Metro 2033. I will play it when I end up buying(and keeping) card that can play it smoothly. Until then it sits on the shelf.

Back