Storage Solutions Hard disk crash.... please help

zorg4u

Disciple
Hi all,
I have been using a two year old hitachi 80gb SATA harddrive. i was downloading a large torrent file last night. in the morning when i switched on.. the system failed to boot. when i checked bios setting it failed to detect the hard disk at all. I really dont know what happend last night. would it be a Power failure...? we usually have low voltages at home....
I really need to recover the data into... i have not backed up anything....please help......

some times it happens with loose ide cables also. try removing the cable and putting it back.

get urself a ubuntu disk

boot into it

cancel when u enter the partitioner.

u got into a live cd now

browse ur computer's contents now. back up ur data immediately to a dvd/usb drive

see if ur data is still availble(ubuntu will not open it it is a ntfs partition and had a bad shutdown)

then u just need to attach ur hd to a clean win xp pc and boot.

if u can see ur data , back it up immediately in usb/dvd.

then proceed to repair ur os

:no: another guy with damaged HDD:no:
First impotent thing is Hard disk must be detected by BIOS:cool2: Well if you succeeded then have many options to recover data.First you need another healthy Hard disk(or healthy partition on damaged drive) to recover data writing DVD,s is secondary option. Try Getdata back software according to your file system NTFS or FAT32.It will recover 80%(100% also in some cases) of data.well try to get full version of software,am not going to tell where to get full version:bleh:
Download here.
http://www.runtime.org/gdb.zip

Hope it helps

Well mine is a SATA HDD not IDE, the cables is all perfectly fine. I plugged in other clean Seagate 500GB drive it is able to detect that drive....
i dont know what's wrong with this one...

main_trouble said:
get urself a ubuntu disk
boot into it
cancel when u enter the partitioner.
u got into a live cd now
browse ur computer's contents now. back up ur data immediately to a dvd/usb drive
see if ur data is still availble(ubuntu will not open it it is a ntfs partition and had a bad shutdown)
then u just need to attach ur hd to a clean win xp pc and boot.
if u can see ur data , back it up immediately in usb/dvd.

then proceed to repair ur os

+1 on that..
U could also use KNOPPIX instead of Ubuntu..
and if either one detects ur cd/dvd writer,you can use that to back up data too..

First impotent thing is Hard disk must be detected by BIOS Well if you succeeded then have many options to recover data.
Unfortunately,that's true as well..

zorg4u said:
Well mine is a SATA HDD not IDE, the cables is all perfectly fine. I plugged in other clean Seagate 500GB drive it is able to detect that drive....
i dont know what's wrong with this one...

Sata Hard drives are more prone to get damaged..well if you are unable to see hard drive in BIOS by any mean like trying new cables,tightening etc..you cant do anything now:( recovering data from this drive becomes very hard else you have another circuit board to replace.

cool_boy4ua said:
Sata Hard drives are more prone to get damaged..well if you are unable to see hard drive in BIOS by any mean like trying new cables,tightening etc..you cant do anything now:( recovering data from this drive becomes very hard else you have another circuit board to replace.

wat do u mean by sata drives are more prone to damage.
plz post any reliable source for ur comment.

try not to spread rumors /FUD here!!

main_trouble said:
wat do u mean by sata drives are more prone to damage.

plz post any reliable source for ur comment.

try not to spread rumors /FUD here!!

well dude i have more then 5 drives sata damaged within 1-6 month after purchase,i was lucky to get RMA.do i need any other reliable source?(well i dont knows why all gone bad in short period may be some moving parts are more prone to damage)..further mind your language and am not spreading rumor .:mad:

Well yeah even i have head that sata drives are prone to Failure more than an IDE. I heard this from my systems admin. Who says they usaully load their OS for their Servers on IDE HDD for more stability.
Anyways i guess my hard disk has gone to the grave :( if only i could find a way to resurrect it ;)

cool_boy4ua said:
well dude i have more then 5 drives sata damaged within 1-6 month after purchase,i was lucky to get RMA.do i need any other reliable source?(well i dont knows why all gone bad in short period may be some moving parts are more prone to damage)..further mind your language and am not spreading rumor .:mad:

Thats no guarantee everyone will face the same, right? It could be your PSU, power supply quality (the 220V one I mean), cables, tons of things possible, handling, shocks etc etc.

No need to heat up.

cool_boy4ua said:
cool down bro
can u plz tell me bad language i used?

main_trouble said:
cool down bro
can u plz tell me bad language i used?

ok chill bro....i just wanted to tell you all my bad experience with sata drives in compare with long time used IDE.
Thats no guarantee everyone will face the same, right? It could be your PSU, power supply quality (the 220V one I mean), cables, tons of things possible, handling, shocks etc etc.

No need to heat up.
These six failed sata hard drives were from four different systems.Is it possible to had every system either bad PSU,cables another etc things:huh: this is true everyone will not face same problem,but i am just telling my own experience with sata drives.

Never had a SATA HDD fail on me (and I'm talking of lots of systems here). And the system admin using PATA only, some ppl have their own notions abt these things. I have my quirks too.

me and my frnd have bout 8 sata drives.

3 are very old(when first sata mobos came (7200.7 series disks)

to tell u the truth none of them have failed so far.

main_trouble said:
me and my frnd have bout 8 sata drives.
3 are very old(when first sata mobos came (7200.7 series disks)

to tell u the truth none of them have failed so far.

Thats sound good:) well mate am not making argument with anyone n not trying to prove sata as bad drives..so chill out now.Just told ya my experience.

Naga said:
I have my quirks too.

Mee too :D but it's more to do with WD vs Seagate. Btw, my uncle (who is in his forties) uses linux to recover a crashed Win XP installation. Guess I must finally try out a distro.

OT: I accidentally renamed shell32.dll on my laptop today and couldn't boot my laptop(endless reboot in XP). Called the IT helpdesk for recovery. He came with a Transcend USB drive with Hiren's Boot CD on it, set my laptop SATA access to compatibility mode, booted from USB, loaded NTFSForDOS, accessed the HDD via DOS commands, renamed the file back, set my laptop HDD SATA access back to AHCI and voila, my laptop was booting again.

Hi ,
Its Extremely Bad that We Are discussing Stuff that Is Not Revelent to the Poor Man who Has a Crashed HDD .Hello zorg4u i Have Very Good Experience With The Recovery Of Physical Defective HDD And Pen Drives ,To Give you More Info On The Same I Will Request you To Provide Me The Top And Bottom Photos Of Your HDD .Once i Have That I Can Give You More Idea .This Might Be Till The Grade of Head Platter replacements and firmware Defects .Also Please Answer Some On My Questions

1 :Is the HDD Spinning ..........Buzzzzzzzzzz
2 :If you touch the Logic Board Can You Find Some IC Extremely Hot
3 :Does the HDD Initialize Like That Spinup and Kar Kar Sound and Then Total Sound Stop But HDD Keeps On Spinning .
4 :Is the HDD Knocking Like Tick Tick Tick Etc

I Do Have Access To Many russian And Chinese Hardwares For Doing Professional Data Recovery But My Intension is To Guide You And Not Make Money Here .

I guaranty you We Both Will Recover 100% Data From This Drive Come What May rightooo

:hap2:

Hi,

I dont get to hear any noise at all from my HDD. i really doubt if its running at all. How do i check if power is getting supplied to the HDD? i dont see any LED's glowing that are present in old IDE hard drives...
Let me run the system for sometime to check if the HDD heats up also
I'll try to get the images of my hard disk.

Back