Storage Solutions hard disk recovery

taher

Adept
i have a seagate 500gb hard disk.it suddenly stopped working

now when i connect it to the system at boot screen it gives "hard disk error" message.it is detecting hard disk in the bios but the capacity shown is zero, all the other parameters are normal and in OS(win 7) it is detecting but when i try to initialize it from disk management i get an error "initialization failed because of a possible i/o error".

now i had some very valuable personal data of about 40 gb in total in different locations in the drive

so is the hard disk recoverable?
if yes then what would be the approximate charges?

eagerly waiting for replies from fellow techies:(

Had a similar issue just a few days ago too... :( This worked for me so you can try it too... (unless people who know more about this jump in and say NOOO)

Step 1: Download a Linux ISO with the ntfs-3g tool (I used systemrescuecd (SystemRescueCd)) and burn it on a DVD

Step 2: Boot into linux.

Step 3: Mount the failed drive and a drive you can copy the files to

Step 4: Copy away

Google for the details but I got back about 200GB this way... If this doesn't work there's a bunch of other things you can try...

the problem is that at the bios screen itself it is detecting error in reading the hard disk....and the storage capacity in the bios menu is shown "0".anyways will give this solution a try.

Back