Storage Solutions Hard drive crash :( Need suggestions

artattak

Disciple
Hey guys,

My external WD 1 tb my book essential drive went kaput taking all my data along with it- tonnes of my music and films gone along with a lot of other important stuff in a flash.
The drive was not getting recognized when plugged in the USB (its a usb 3.0 drive) so i took of the external casing off hoping that the circuitry in the casing is dead. Inside i found a WD caviar green regular SATA drive. Plugged it on my pc as a secondary drive and its getting recognized in the BIOS. Booted into windows but no drive. Checked computer management and the drive there showed up as non-initialized. Before doing anything else i tried a couple of data recovery softwares but the drive is not getting recognized in any of these. Then tried to initialize the drive but its saying "drive cannot be initialized due to i/o error".

Now i am stuck, i am desperate for the data and i called stellar data recovery in bangalore, the lady on the phone said they will need to examine the drive before giving me a quote. And to give this quotation they will charge 500 bucks. Now i am aware of the hefty charges of data recovery and people on the forum have got quotes from 30k to 70 k from stellar and dont want to be held for ransom by these guys.

Is there anything else i can do or any other option i have? Does somebody has any experience of swapping the circuitry of the drive with an identical one and making it work? Since i suspect that my drive is fine physically and the circuit is damaged or the firmware on the drive has gone kaput. Please help. :(

If its being detected in the BIOS its not a PCB/firmware issue. Is the drive spinning fine? Most cases are dead motors/crashed heads, which is difficult to fix yourself.

Back