Storage Solutions Harddisk - Data Storage

McAgnel

Disciple
Guys,
I've got a Seagate 80 GB HD which is ~ 3.5 years old.
It has got 8 partitions

c - Win 98 [Installed 3 years ago ] + Movies
d - Win XP [Installed 2 years ago ] + Data
E - 7gb data not moved since 30 months
F - 5 gb data not moved since 3 years
G - MusiC about 6 GB not moved, rest is used regularly[copy + delete]
H - 6 gb data not moved since 3 years
I - 10 Gb once used for linux, now formatted and used for movies + videos
J - 4 gb data > songs

About 30gb of data has not been moved for the past 3 years. I heard from a close friend of mine that I need to move this data to some other HD or take a backup. What do you guys reckon i should do to extend this harddisk's life and to preserve this data? Till date I have had no problems. :eek:hyeah:
I am planning to format C + D and load XP and Linux alone.

Advice Please. TIA :hap2:

If you have a DVD-RW rather back up the data on DVDs than buy another HDD.

By the way your data wont get damaged regardless the age.But it can be lost due to drive failure.

Data doesnt have a shelf-life like vegetables or milk... It can be the way it is forever, if not tampered with. But you could argue that the data is only as safe as the stuff that holds it. May be a CD/DVD or HDD. So you could say the life of an HDD is the life of the data. You don't have to worry about keeping data at the same place forever...

But its something as philosophical as technical, that "Everything that has a beginning has an end"

About 30gb of data has not been moved for the past 3 years. I heard from a close friend of mine that I need to move this data to some other HD or take a backup.

Never heard of such a thing.....

He said data lying in the same place would make the HD R/W head would read them from the same location and wear n tear would happen more in those areas. Any views on that?

BTW, I have taken DVD Backup. :)

Back