Has AC energy efficiency increased drastically in the last decade?

I made something similar a few months ago but went with a wifi connected approach since I'd like to set up logging and graphs someday. It's an ESP-01 running tasmota wired to a temperature sensor and a Peacefair PZEM-004t module that's been modified to make it more electrically safe as described in this video:

I haven't setup anything on the software side yet so all I have now is the tasmota webpage:

Screen Shot 2023-05-19 at 6.33.53 PM.png

this is attached to a stabilizer, wired to its input (this is a crude prototype, a proof of concept)

20230226_123918-01.jpg

20230226_131916-01.jpg

Total cost was around Rs 1000: 750 for the pzem004t (robu.in), 150 for the wifi module (amazon), 80 for the enclosure (probots.co.in) plus something for a 3.3v buck converter and a basic 5v charger that was zip tied to the peacefair module.

And since it's a wifi device that responds to pings, I set up a simple one-ping-every-minute script to get power outage/restored alerts through a bot on Telegram:

photo_2023-05-19 18.55.06.jpeg

I finally implemented this after mentioning it about two years ago: https://techenclave.com/threads/wtb-sinewave-ups-inverter-so-need-suggestions.198174/ @rdst_1

Last edited:
I made something similar a few months ago but went with a wifi connected approach since I'd like to set up logging and graphs someday. It's an ESP-01 running tasmota wired to a temperature sensor and a Peacefair PZEM-004t module that's been modified to make it more electrically safe as described in this video:

I haven't setup anything on the software side yet so all I have now is the tasmota webpage:

View attachment 168759

this is attached to a stabilizer, wired to its input (this is a crude prototype, a proof of concept)

View attachment 168760

View attachment 168761

Total cost was around Rs 1000: 750 for the pzem004t (robu.in), 150 for the wifi module (amazon), 80 for the enclosure (probots.co.in) plus something for a 3.3v buck converter and a basic 5v charger that was zip tied to the peacefair module.

And since it's a wifi device that responds to pings, I set up a simple one-ping-every-minute script to get power outage/restored alerts through a bot on Telegram:

View attachment 168762

I finally implemented this after mentioning it about two years ago: https://techenclave.com/threads/wtb-sinewave-ups-inverter-so-need-suggestions.198174/ @rdst_1
Excellent DIY!
Can this be implemented across AC brands or is specific to yours?
And does this require any programming knowledge ?

A tutorial will be great for beginners like me!

It'll work with any AC powered device. I undertook the modification of the module as a personal challenge, it isn't required — many people are using it fine without the modifications.

The basic outline is to connect an ESP8266 based module to the PZEM-004t and there's a useful guide over at Tasmota: https://tasmota.github.io/docs/PZEM-0XX/

Do products like above work for measuring AC power consumption? Many reports of it being burnt for same usage. Cannot do any DIY, looking for plugnplay type.
Products that you linked I believe are best used for target practice. Your friend throws it up in the air and you try to get it with one shot :dead:

Or if you don't want to do that then as a programmable timer switch.

Why do I say so? See this post

Get this instead

Last edited:
Products that you linked I believe are best used for target practice. Your friend throws it up in the air and you try to get it with one shot :dead:

Or if you don't want to do that then as a programmable timer switch.

Why do I say so? See this post

Get this instead
Thanks. Really wish an Indian company made these instead of generic Chinese items rebranded by meco.

Which is better one among the two 1) amiciSense Digital Energy Meter or 2) Meco PG09 ?
I am got a bill shock this time and need to figure out what is driving up my consumption.

Yeah I got electricity bill shock (pun intended lol) last year and again this year (I'm in Pune) even after replacing my 10 year old Hitachi AC with a new Daikin inverter model (and saw some relative cost savings) and turns out it's just the public power corp (MSEDCL) authorised by MERC to charge higher per-unit rates, nothing wrong with my usage patterns.

Back