Laptops Has anybody got their nVida 6150 IC reballed/reflowed or replaced ?

Hi guys.

well the GPU of my HP TX2000 conked off, and obviously owing to overheating as suspected with this chip. So visited nehru place, and the repair persons are asking Rs.1000-1500 for reballing and Rs.2500-3000 for a new chip replacement.
Next thing that bothers is maximum warranty they are providing is 30-45 days, and some shopkeepers warned against the cheaper (2000-2500 v/s 3000) ones that actually what they are gonna replace with is going to be another reworked chip having much lesser life in comparison to the stated 1.5-2 yrs of the original. So how can i ascertain whether its a brand new chip or a reworked one ?

Is anyone having any experiences for the same, or knowing of any reputed/reliable repair shop that can be trusted. Is it wise to spend money, and still be not sure for how much time is the laptop going to survive ?

TIA.
BBThumbHealer :)

Hi guys.

well the GPU of my HP TX2000 conked off, and obviously owing to overheating as suspected with this chip. So visited nehru place, and the repair persons are asking Rs.1000-1500 for reballing and Rs.2500-3000 for a new chip replacement.
Next thing that bothers is maximum warranty they are providing is 30-45 days, and some shopkeepers warned against the cheaper (2000-2500 v/s 3000) ones that actually what they are gonna replace with is going to be another reworked chip having much lesser life in comparison to the stated 1.5-2 yrs of the original. So how can i ascertain whether its a brand new chip or a reworked one ?

Is anyone having any experiences for the same, or knowing of any reputed/reliable repair shop that can be trusted. Is it wise to spend money, and still be not sure for how much time is the laptop going to survive ?

TIA.
BBThumbHealer :)

the reballing of chip might work for few hours to few months also, replacing the chip is the best option, but for an end user finding good bga rework person is difficult, what you can do is to buy chip with latest manufacturing code and ask them to replace in front of you

the reballing of chip might work for few hours to few months also, replacing the chip is the best option, but for an end user finding good bga rework person is difficult, what you can do is to buy chip with latest manufacturing code and ask them to replace in front of you

Where can one buy the chip and how does know the latest manufacturing code?

If you're graphics card is of MXM variant and is of the detachable kind, then you can bake it to get it back to life. Pretty simple process, I did that to my 9800m gtx when it conked off and it worked for another 6 months before it conked off again.. I do not have the normal oven with me anymore or would have baked it again and brought it back to life. BTW use the regular convection oven and not the microwave oven.

Where can one buy the chip and how does know the latest manufacturing code?
if you are in delhi try nehru place. the chip will be having two sets of numbers next to each other below 'nvidia' eg. '32N3P' '0833A2', in this the right side set of numbers when you are facing the ic '08' is year of manufacturing, '33' is the week of that year, 'A2' is the batch. you can buy '09' or '10' year code. the last line will be the BGA chip number 'NF-G6150-N-A2. it is easily available in nehru place

Back