HC: Prove that women are equal to men

SharekhaN

Skilled
DNA 27th Sep 2009 said:
Mumbai: Are men and women equal? Apparently, the debate is not yet settled. In perhaps a first, the Bombay High Court has sought documentary evidence to support the 'claim' that men and women are equal.
The Womanist Organisation of India (WOI) and the Bhartiya Bar Girls' Union (BBGU) had filed a petition seeking the quashing of a provision in the Shops and Establishment Act, 1948 that forbids women from working in any establishments like restaurants and bars after 9.30pm. The HC has now asked them to produce documentary proof of gender equality to support their petition.

"We are looking up various studies carried out by reputed institutions which show that men and women are equal," said Vishal Thadani, advocate for WOI and BBGU. Thadani said that the court asked for documents that speak of gender equality in general and not just in the realm of labour laws.

The WOI and the BBGU had filed a petition contending that the 9:30 deadline deprived women working in bars as waitresses or singers (not bar dancers) the right to earn their livelihood.

The state government, in an affidavit filed before the court earlier, had refused to compromise with the provision in the Shops and Establishment Act, stating that "women employed in these establishments are from the poor strata of society and are prone to illegal exploitation at the hands of the male customers, hotel staff, etc. And hence they are not allowed to work after 9:30 pm."

The affidavit, filed by Pandit Kale, senior inspector of police, hotel branch, further said, "The waitresses working in these establishments can never be equated with women in other fields, such as air-hostesses and lady staff in the hospitality industry."

The police had supported the 9:30pm deadline for women employed in bars as the owners do not take the responsibility to drop them home and ensure their safety. Hearing the case last week, the court had remarked that if women and men were equal, why did the women working late need protection? It is then that the division bench of Justice DK Deshmukh and Justice RG Ketkar sought documents pertaining to the equality of men and women.

Brushing aside the wishes of nearly 2,835 women working in 292 bars in the city, Kale also said that "most of the bar premises are not suitable for ladies to work as they are not provided with basic amenities."

Going a step further, Kale, in his affidavit, has stated, "It was found that ... bar owners are exploiting the lady waitresses for immoral and illegal activities, which are against the public interest and society. I say that several lady services bars are mushrooming in the city, endangering the public morality and culture."

:eek:hyeah:

Very interesting. I always found some nazi females always made too much brouhaha over this feminist BS. I always used to think, even with this equality thing in place, why does the state promote this segregation with reserved seats for women on buses, (Trains I can understand). This has the same tinge of the caste system bias with reservations and stuff.

On a side note: I wonder how the women reading this article feel on this subject as that is a sensitive subject that the court has taken a stand on.

Well the reserved seat for women is more a sign of respect.

I am all for the respect for the females as no country can really be seen as mature until n unless the females there are respected and are secure.

Having said that, one point where i stand firm... I dont support the argument that the prize money in events like Wimbledon be same in the mens and ladies events. :eek:hyeah:

Well the reserved seat for women is more a sign of respect.

Ya i know......but most of the time its shown as their birth rights......Many times i have seen(including i have suffered myself).....when a lady courteously can say its a lady seat .....barks straight away its a lady seat dont u have any shame siting on it..being a young siting as if a monkey is sitting .....:eek:hyeah:

At that time i feel no reservation should be kept except for elders.......And instead of ladies seat all seats should be made to offer to ladies if standing but according to seat person discreet....

SharekhaN said:
:eek:hyeah:

I always used to think, even with this equality thing in place, why does the state promote this segregation with reserved seats for women on buses, (Trains I can understand). This has the same tinge of the caste system bias with reservations and stuff.

exactly ,i remember when in the pre university days when i went in a bus,even though me and my friend were sitting in the rear of the bus which is a general seat.two not so fat women came up and said us to get up ,the tone was like a command/order. we were stunned,i mean if they had requested we would have given them a seat.but it was kinda rude,anyway we gave them our seat,since they did look scary like a hitwoman.

In Mumbai local trains, there is a ladies compartment but all others are General. Where is men's compartment ??
Bias towards men :p

raksrules said:
In Mumbai local trains, there is a ladies compartment but all others are General. Where is men's compartment ??
Bias towards men :p

U forgot ..oops u in china..i guess now they have got ladies special..exclusive which drives at ard 6pm i guess.....where is mens special??...but i would still prefer ladies + gents single train..as i m straight and during long journey sometime pretty face makes the journey small :D

err

forget respect and security..

the reservation of seats in buses are because of the issues...a pregnant woman wouldn't want to fight over seat...a women in menstrual cycle need not fight for a seat...thus the reservation.

but it's arrogant when a woman makes an issue over this for apparently no reason...a Privilege misunderstood as a Right...

i think the equality can only be proved on the basis of 'opportunities offered' and not on the basis of 'opportunities taken'

in most occasions opportunities are provided but there always exists a 2nd and a 3rd woman to drag that 1st woman down from not grabbing that opportunity (atleast in our society and culture)...

the best example of the that '2nd' woman is a typical Indian mom in a typical middle class.

so better thing to prove would be 'equality within women' :cool2:

I think the original rule was created so as to protect women.

Anyone would agree that the chance of a drunken male molesting a female worker without her being able to defend herself is higher than a drunken male or female molesting a male employee. In fact a typical male worker might even welcome advances from a drunken female :rofl:, so if the women are fine with dealing with such situations, then I guess there is no need for such a rule. Its easier for the govt to put a rule banning women from working at such places at night than ensuring that no harm comes to women working at zillion such places in the country.

As for equality of men and women, that cannot be possible till special rules, privileges, reservations exist for women. I respect women who show that they are equal to men though their actions and not just by words. Unfortunately, most women have just a lot of talk and no actions to substantiate it.

Once I was standing in line for more than 2 hours to pay an electricity bill and this young "empowered" girl comes in just then and demands that the women should have a separate queue saying that women are equal to men and that the lady collecting the bills should collect form one male and one female. I told her that as long she demands special privileges and not stand in equal footing with the rest of the men in the same queue, she is proving that women are not equal to men. Everyone laughed at that and she was embarrassed as hell.

Another time there was a debate session at college and and a girl debated that women are equal to men and so they should have 50% reservations in all colleges and for jobs at private/govt offices. I asked her why she needs reservations in everything if they are equal to men. Shouldn't they be able to compete with equal footing without any reservations? She had no answer to that, but still blindly argued that they should have 50% reservation as otherwise more than 50% of the openings will be occupied by men merit wise. (Which kind of defeats the purpose of her argument).

So that just goes to show that what they want is the biased privileges, very few women even try to get on an equal footing with men.

Ethan_Hunt said:
You get to see pretty faces in Bombay locals general compartment? :S

Sorry OT stuff

Depends on the timing.....if u r close to first class.....

many time i have seen...gf/bf....though many times not preety looking do behave in general compartment such that it make ppl feel that they seeing Sun tv at 12 am.....

My friend has this habit(doing KANDI) ...knowingly first try to tease them saying please move ard u not give us space to stand......as u know the guy thinks he is the owner of the compartment ...he doesnt pay to my friends advice..and once our station comes he kicks the guy hard(i mean it seriously).....that the hero falls outside the compartment ...

And that sight makes all of our fellow travelers :rofl:

Can't find it anywhere except dnaindia. Duh! (was hoping to locate the case on Bombay high Court website...no show. Court orders are often prone to misinterpretation when not read in totality).

Anyways, I find the Delhi Metro announcement funny (sorry if it offends anyone)..it goes like.."ting tong, kripya mahilayon, viklangon evam varisth nagrikon ko baithnay dain ... please vacate the seats for ladies, physically challenged and senior citizens". I asked a lady friend whether it was not demeaning for perfectly fit women like her to be clubbed with physically challenged and senior citizens, and why she doesn't complain to Metro authorities about it...don't think she did till date :p

and Further "THOSE WHO SUPPORTS 2 BAN LADIES COMPARTMENT they must travel action packed Public Transports wd their mom/sis/gf(specially) they can easily .............

hellfire said:
Can't find it anywhere except dnaindia. Duh! (was hoping to locate the case on Bombay high Court website...no show. Court orders are often prone to misinterpretation when not read in totality).

Its good you attempted to verify the sources.

Media here makes a living outof misinterpretation :(

MAGNeT said:
Ya i know......but most of the time its shown as their birth rights......Many times i have seen(including i have suffered myself).....when a lady courteously can say its a lady seat .....barks straight away its a lady seat dont u have any shame siting on it..being a young siting as if a monkey is sitting .....:eek:hyeah:

Would you be in trouble if you refused to get up ?...i mean legally.

Having a designated seat i think means if you ain't the designated one, then you can't be there in the first place.

Spacescreamer said:
Having said that, one point where i stand firm... I dont support the argument that the prize money in events like Wimbledon be same in the mens and ladies events. :eek:hyeah:
But its been that way at the US Open for sometime now. Why does the same not apply elsewhere then ?

^ cause men play five sets and women finish it in 3. let women play 5 sets too if they are equal. i bet most of them will start cribbing that they dont have the energy and what not.

Back