Graphic Cards HD 4650 on 300W hipro ..IS IT SAFE ?

quartzap

Disciple
i hv a compaq presario SR1928 IL desktop (pentium D 2.8 GHz 800 series+ 2 GB 667 MHz ddr2 ram + 1 IDE + 1 sata HDD +`1 DVD RW ) running problem free for nearly 4 years on a 300W HIPRO psu which came custom built.. planning to add a HD 4650 gpu on the existing power supply for medium level gaming and HD viewing .. how safe it will be (no intention of overclocking !) ??? ne 1 running similar config plz comment. :huh:

The OEM PSU's are generally of good quality, I dont think there should be any issues. Although you might wanna look at 4670 for a decent gaming performance.

^^ Are wattage everything... specially those listed on a product sticker ;)

I think 4650 will be ok but 4670 is cutting it too fine. Pentium D is not really a very power efficient CPU.

i had a SR1931IL with same psu 4 years back , was running 8600gt on it fine with pentium d 3.2ghz for 1 year .. it can easily handle 4670 or 5670 .

i think 300w is on the lower side... for the safe operation and safeguard of the components better get a 450 watt psu... it will serve ur purpose... ur current psu will be running out of juice pretty soon....

^^ Wattage is irrelevant in Indian terms, a 450 watts generic PSU will be much worse then the OEM 300 watt PSU's bundled along. Pentium D should not be an issue.

^^dude i am not telling him 2 buy a generic one... he should go for a good enough PSU from brands like CM, corsair etc with a rating of 450w... that should handle his system well...

Yes ,its true ""Wattage is irrelevant in Indian terms, a 450 watts generic PSU will be much worse then the OEM 300 watt PSU's bundled along. Pentium D should not be an issue. ""

Hipro is far better than generic 450W PSUs

@Aces170: i don't mean to say that cx400 wont be enough... everyone cant afford cx450 so why not go for a 400 and more watt psu from say gigabyte, cm etc... At least it will be future proof and his components will be safe... using 300watt hipro psu with 4650 card will take the psu to its limits... so its better to have a little breathing space or else all hell might break loose...

@Aces170: i don't mean to say that cx400 wont be enough... everyone cant afford cx450 so why not go for a 400 and more watt psu from say gigabyte, cm etc... At least it will be future proof and his components will be safe... using 300watt hipro psu with 4650 card will take the psu to its limits... so its better to have a little breathing space or else all hell might break loose...

Actually the CX 400 would be a overkill for that rig too, and a Corsair CX 400 would be better then a CM extreme 500 watts. Your post on going for wattage is completely wrong if PSU models are not provided. A lot of newbies are just throwing plain vanilla numbers around without digging deeper. 4670 would run pretty smoothly on an OEM PSU rated at 300 watts. If on the other hand he had a generic brand, it would be a cause of concern.

latino_ansari said:

dude generic 450w are rated at 15-18A on +12v , they even dont give 12a actual . that hipro is rated at 19A as i remember , 19*12 = 228w on +12v .

a 4670 / 5670 uses 40-50w max at load . no issue at all .

thnx for all the replies ......i just wanna be on the safer side ..so a bit apprehensive abt 4670..also not involved in serious gaming ..so based on the reviews and benchmarks found the 4650 to be the ideal option for my needs without changing the psu..wrried abt the fact that min power recommended is 400W for the same card.

RoBoGhOsT said:
dude generic 450w are rated at 15-18A on +12v , they even dont give 12a actual . that hipro is rated at 19A as i remember , 19*12 = 228w on +12v .

a 4670 / 5670 uses 40-50w max at load . no issue at all .

I had personally opened a hipro 300w psu.Its andecent smps with large heatsink,protection circuit,filters etc.So it wont be a problem for 4670/4650 to run

which is the best brand for radeon cards in terms of warranty and after-sales service in india ?

and the authorised dealers of the same in lammy ?

Back