Graphic Cards HD4850 cooling fix!

mav3r1ck

Disciple
Hi,

I know how to create and save the profile on the ATI catalyst, however my only trouble is i can't find the saved profile file to edit in the ATI folder. Why is it showing an empty folder without any file? Can some one help!

Regards.
mav

^^done that too buddy, followed all the procedures correctly up until creating and saving the profile. Now to edit that i need to be able to open that file which i am unable to do since the file is not there where it should be.
Can somebody tell me the full procedure so that i could go through the steps again and see if i missed something.

TIA

Switch said:
Whats your OS...

You have to select Local settings>Application Data... Not directly Application Data ;)

Switch, the OS is Win XP SP2. I am pretty much sure thats the path i followed, will confirm once i reach home, right now at work. The only thing i want to do is to make the b1tch run cool, fan noise doesn't matter. So, for anyone explaining the full procedure, thanks in advance.

it will be c drive, documents and settings, your name, local settings, application data, ati, (some folder inside ati :p )

in vista its in c drive, users, your name, then same as above

just enter the ati folder and then do a search for the profile name

I'll hold onto this thread.Will need to get this fix applied as soon as I get my card in 2 days.:p

@mav3r1ck: Let me know what fan speed you have set it to & how loud is the fan noise?

^^hey buddy, i've set it to 50, and yeah the noise coming out can be compared to a hair dryer blowing at the lowest setting. That noise coming out is the only one i can hear, since i am not playing anything and everything else is quiet. Also, i have actually left my chassis (cabinet) open from one side, to improve the overall cooling. If you have a roomy cabinet, say any coolermaster mid-tower model, once you close down all the sides, i don't think it should be audible.

Wow that was prompt.Thanks for the heads up.My current card is very silent.I have never heard any noise coming out of my computer except for my DVD writer till now.So just wanted to know how noisy this card would be.Yes my cabinet is enclosed & it's the cheap Zebronics one.Hope that it is able to handle this card.BTW can you list a step-by-step path that you took for setting the temp right? Also what is the brand of your 4850?

^^mine is a sapphire 4850. Since my OS is WinXP SP2, i can tell you the step by step procedure for this OS only. After you have installed the card and then installed Catalyst drivers, open the Catalyst Control Center, go on ATI overdrive, enable ATI overdrive. On the top there is an option called Profiles, click on it and open profiles manager and create a new profile by typing any name then select the radio button option all Catalyst Control Center Settings and save that profile. Open My Computer and Click on tools and then folder options. Select the View tab and select the show hidden files and folders radio button. After that open the partition on which you have installed your OS. Mine is D, so the path i followed is D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE\Profiles, once you are inside that folder you can view the profile by the name you saved it with. It would be an XML document, right click on it and select edit, it will open in notepad, find and edit the following which are in BOLD only:

</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedProtocol_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedProtocolProperty" value="Percent" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Manual" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="45" />
</Feature>

After that save it and activate the profile in CCC and you will get the manual fan speed activated.

Alright I finally got my card.Now after a small sessions of Crysis as usual the temps went as high as 101 degrees.What's going on? I have enabled the fan fix & set it to 75.Activated it but how do I know if it's properly activated & is working? I am checking the temp through ATI's CCC & 101 degrees was the temp recorded after quitting the game.Idles at 67 degrees which I don't suppose is normal, right?

Also I have Everest Ultimate edition installed which earlier used to show my 7900GT's temp properly but after installing this card it's not showing it's temp at all.Any other utility which would accurately show me it's temp?

Back