Graphic Cards HD6950 Overheating on Two monitors.. that too without load

This may or may not help. I had a 7900GS a long time ago and the tiny fans on it went kaput. I took a generic 80mm fan and stuck it on top of the small heatsink with Feviquik. It ran smoothly for more than 1.5 years after that.

Today I tried to do it.. there wasn't much space for 2x80mm fans with a bit of improvising managed to attach it onto the Heatsink, but unfortunately I had forgotten that I'm out of thermal paste, due to many times removing applying thermal paste it got depleted. had used up some existing paste on the core and switched on the card.

now even with fans on the Idle temps are 60 degrees. so I'm wondering will applying thermal paste will solve the issue or I will need to change the fans too.

Get a tube of thermal paste, and reapply it on the core after cleaning the previous one. Reinstall the heatsink back and check if this resolves the issue.

Can we have a snap of the heatsink-fan please? 2 x 80 mm fans should be better than a single 120 mm fan I reckon.

uf5q.jpg

mine is very sloppy work the main aim was getting it fit together.. the fans do work. maybe after Re TIM it may bring the temps back to normal.

Back