Storage Solutions HDD: Buy or Not to Buy?

Nishu

Adept
Hi guys,

I Build my rig a few days back and the config is as follow;

AMD Phenom IIx4 955 BE
Gigabyte GA-880-GMUSB3
MSI Cyclone PE HD6850
LG DVD writer
Seasonic s12 II 520w PSU
NZXT Gamma
Monitor BenQ G2220HD
Yes you got it right,I didnt buy HDD.

I thought that i might a HDD from my friend for 1 or 2 months after which there might be decraese in HDD prices.

But none of my friend had a spare HDD so i am running my PC on live Mini XP Cd.

Its already been a week that i bought my new pc and running on live cd to just browse net and post in forums.

Now i am really pissed off and want to buy a HDD.

So guys i need your help to make decision.

At present Segate 160 GB costs 1900/-
And 500 GB 4300/-

Is it a good descion to go for 160gb and upgrade to HDD after prices are settled.

OR Is there a possibility of drop in price in 2 months or so. So should i manage a HDD and use it for somedays instead of spending money right now.

I'd say if its absolutely necessary get the 160gig HDD... coz mathematically speaking u'll be halving your losses...

Even if the prices fall back to normal sooner or later, i'm sure u'll be able to sell a 160gig off for atleast 1K... On the other hand, the 500GB would fetch you something between 1.5K to 2K... u can calculate the losses and do the math yourself ;)

^
Lol
i calculated the losses and did math myself and i am thinking to buy 160GB. :)
But the thing holding me back is that if in a month a 500 GB HDD might be sold for 3k .
So is there any news that there might be decrease in cost of HDD.

But i am not very impressed by the capacity,performance for the price at which SSDs are sold.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Sorry that i didnt mention my budget.
Its 2k.

try to source a used drive! I recently brought a 4 year old 80 gb drive to life which was lying in my ancient desktop!!!!! my cousin is running his dad's system with a 10 year old 20 gb drive just fine!

Nishu said:
So is there any news that there might be decrease in cost of HDD.

The HDD prices are going to remain high for a few weeks cause the rupee v/s dollar is already Rs 52 for $1 which is not going to change easily in near future unless RBI does something. So don't expect the new stock of HDDs to come & bring down the rates back to normal any soon . . .

Hope it helps :cool2:

one of the member of the forum offered me a 80gb HDD its from a laptop and its 6 years old.
And its a sata 1 drive where as my mobo has sata 2 ports will that cause any issue.
And here is the link to HDtune scan of drive.

http://i.imgur.com/ACQNw.jpg

SO guys what do you say will it grow badsectors more rapidly and can it be used for atleast 2 or 3 months.

I think it can be used for 2-3 months,if it is working fine now.I have a 6 year old drive that has been not used for the last 3 years and is in storage.If you have some pals in chandigarh or know a willing forum member from chandigarh,i can drop it in their place so they can have a look.It should be working fine though,it was a running xp system before i bought my laptop! The phrase OLD IS GOLD comes to mind now :)

We Could Run Out of Hard Drives Soon, Says Analyst

Global HDD Supply 70 Million Units Short in Q4 2011

WD Resumes HDD Production at Just One Factory

WD Resumes Production of Hard Disk Drives in Thailand

Looks like production capacity will reach to previous level till march and prices will stabilize 2-3 months after that given that Rs improves vs $ and our dealers dont keep the HDD prices jacked.

I hope WD's drives dont start getting problems from the refurbished equipment from their submerged factories. Until and unless WD enters the competition with full capacity Seagate wont bring their prices down.

devilinearth said:
Prices will be normal by 1st week of Jan 2012, thats the update.

Seagate chairman said recently in Economist, that he expects production 'might' reach pre flood levels by end 2012. I am also waiting to buy a 2 TB but not in a real hurry.

Back