HDD file system problems... pls help

Bob77

Recruit
Hi.
I have an external HDD.
It comes with some files copied on it by the manufacturer. Drive icon, registration software etc...
I did a quick format of the HDD because I did not need these files. Format was done through windows in NTFS.
After that I copied 200GB of files on it.
Disconnected it. Reconnected it. And all the files I copied were missing and the manufacturer's files were back.
But the HDD displayed that 200GB of files are still present although they are not visible in the win explorer. They are not in a hidden folder or anything like that.
So I used a program Paragon HDD manager and did a check on the file system. It did find an error and corrected it. And as it did that the HDD started to display as empty.
Manufacturer files still there. My files missing.
I have not done any further copying because I know my files are still there and I dont want to overwrite them.
I tried using Ashampoo Win Optimizer to recover the files but it does not find anything.
Any ideas on how to recover my files?

Try Recuva

and there are many more

there is a small tool called windirstat on fosshub ,which analyses the type of the files present on your partition and their sizes .So analyze using that, it will definitely find your lost files. Got back my dark knight rises BLuray back.

It could be maybe found under found.000 or some folder

Last edited:
Try Recuva

and there are many more

there is a small tool called windirstat on fosshub ,which analyses the type of the files present on your partition and their sizes .So analyze using that, it will definitely find your lost files. Got back my dark knight rises BLuray back.

It could be maybe found under found.000 or some folder
Windirstat dos not find anything.
Recuva does find some files but even though it claims they are in excellent condition when I recover them they are just pieces of files.
My files are videos in .mkv. I managed to recover some pieces of audio tracks but in this condition they are unusable.

I think, it could actually be a virus/malware in your computer. Try this -

- Go into the drive using file explorer
- Click on the navigation bar -
1622170477853.png

1622170492546.png

- After the \, press Alt key and using the num pad type 255, let go of alt and press Enter

If it's a malware/virus, it should enter in to the hidden folder with all your data inside it. You might have to scrub your system/all external drives to get rid of this virus. It may or may not infect all external devices. Worth a shot IMO.

Back