Storage Solutions HDD giving sound

viiper

Disciple
My HDD is giving a sound (tick tick....) and it is not detected

I know it is damaged but can I recover the data....

Delhites - can you guys tell me some shops where it can repaired or data is recovered

The data is really very important for me...

If HDD is not detected, you cant get the data(by yourself). If it is detected in bios, then there is a solution. Otherwise you have to send it to data recovery shops

man..thats some bad luck there..the shops can probably replace it...i havent seen the prices of repairs but from my experience the Western Digital ones were quite hard to find replacement parts for :p

Tom Sawyer said:
man..thats some bad luck there..the shops can probably replace it...i havent seen the prices of repairs but from my experience the Western Digital ones were quite hard to find replacement parts for :p

viralbug said:
contact Amarbir or mediahome.in from dealers section.

thanks guys for your suggestion...

I have contacted data recovery guys in Nehru Place..they saying that it will cost me around 10000 to recover some data and that too much.... Will buy new HDD

viiper said:
thanks guys for your suggestion...

I have contacted data recovery guys in Nehru Place..they saying that it will cost me around 10000 to recover some data and that too much.... Will buy new HDD

If the drive is going to be trashed (out of warranty), there is this one method you can try.

Put it in two plastic bags, seal it properly.

Put it in your freezer for a few hours.

Remove it, attach to your computer. It may work for enough time to get some important data out.

Naga said:
^^Wow, how does that work?

The clicking sound is supposed to be an indication of a mechanical failure as opposed to bad sectors/circuitry problems.

Not sure why the fix works. Some people say that freezing contracts the heads/arm and gives you a few precious minutes. :huh:

I tried it once on an old 20 GB HDD. Wasn't being detected by BIOS. I froze it for an hour, it showed up after booting and I was able to get about one jpeg file before it crashed again. Other people have had more luck with this and got a bunch of stuff out.

The OP needs to weight the value of the information with the expense for recovery. Amarbir seems to be a valid approach unless you do have someone reliable or more in the place where you live.

Back