Storage Solutions HDD Health Query

DarkAngel

Skilled
As there were lots of threads on HDD health and HDD failures i checked my laptop HDD using the HD Tune Pro

hddhealth.png

hdderrorscan.png

Deep Scan says HDD is healthy.

So whats the probability that the HDD will give up on me all of a sudden? Its a 3 yrs old Laptop HDD so has no warranty.:no:

Also plz recommend a good software to do a secure erase of a HDD.

wdexternal.png

WD external HDD is in warranty. It says Current Pending sector is '1'. Can i ignore it?

HDD gurus plz help me out :)

That particular tab i.e Current Pending Sector reads 0 on my netbook's WD 500 GB drive. This does not indicate a bad sector as evident from the test as well.

I'd this same problem but in my internal HDD. I changed the cable & it went back to zero...

with this being a laptop HDD its hard to comprehend anything...

Thanks guys. :) Repped.

So is the laptop HDD in any danger of failing all of a sudden?

What s/w to use for secure erase of data from HDD? Is using 'Eraser' good enough?

^.. Thats pretty bad varkey.. Remove everything if you had not already & RMA it ASAP...

@DarkAngel.. Eraser is good enough. Or use truecrypt to erase everything if you want to be 1000% safe...

By the way its indeed 1000%... ;)

HailStonE said:
^.. Thats pretty bad varkey.. Remove everything if you had not already & RMA it ASAP...
Ya I know, but it came with my HP laptop, and the laptop warranty is over. So can't RMA it! :( Asked Hitachi if its possible to RMA it directly with them, but since OEM drive can't do anything! So will get a new one once this dies completely.

varkey said:
Ya I know, but it came with my HP laptop, and the laptop warranty is over. So can't RMA it! :( Asked Hitachi if its possible to RMA it directly with them, but since OEM drive can't do anything! So will get a new one once this dies completely.
Oh. crap... that's bad luck.. How much warranty OEM drives usually have.... I hope you do not loose data if it decides to go south...

HailStonE said:

@DarkAngel.. Eraser is good enough. Or use truecrypt to erase everything if you want to be 1000% safe...

By the way its indeed 1000%... ;)

Isnt truecrypt for creating encrypted partition :ashamed:

In case of eraser i have to either delete a data using eraser and for the free space i have to overwrite them with eraser to prevent possible recovery of data. Am i right? The default in eraser for free space erasing is psuedorandomness(1 pass). Should i erase using at least Guttman lite(10 passes)?

HailStonE said:
Oh. crap... that's bad luck.. How much warranty OEM drives usually have.... I hope you do not loose data if it decides to go south...
Ya :( The drive can be RMA'd only through HP, so only till the laptop warranty is valid. Not much important data in it and have backup too. :)

DarkAngel said:
Isnt truecrypt for creating encrypted partition :ashamed:

In case of eraser i have to either delete a data using eraser and for the free space i have to overwrite them with eraser to prevent possible recovery of data. Am i right? The default in eraser for free space erasing is psuedorandomness(1 pass). Should i erase using at least Guttman lite(10 passes)?
Indeed its for encrypted partition but when you make an encrypted partition with truecrypt it destroys everything on the HDD beyond recovery... So it turns out to be the safest.. nothing can ever recover it in this lifetime... thats why 1000% safe.... ;)

@varkey... that's good.. keep regular backup till it dies or better yet junk it when you get resources for a new one :)

Back