Storage Solutions HDD Issue

SOM1

Disciple
Hi all,

I have AMD Machine (single core), with windows Xp running, 1 GB Raand. i have 3 HDDs totalling 600 GB. Now I am facing a seriuos issue. My windows is booting up properly but rather very slowly and after the OS is loaded it is not able to load all the applications and the primary hard disk - Seagate 160 Gb (master) is making some sounds when running.
I booted up the machine in safe mode but the same thing persists there too .. very slow application initialization and there after i can do nothing ..

I executed the Symantec anti-virus with a lot of difficulty and it showed no viruses ..

Is it a Hardware issue ?? If yes then how is the OS being loaded ? If no then then why is the OS not initialising the apps ??

But the HDD makes a purring sound in regular intervals of 2 secs or so ..

Kindly guide me ...All help is appreciated ...

rgds

:p :p .....my friends has the same prob..HDD read is quite slow....its dying ,i think......better backup ur all data quickly.
SOM1 said:
Hi all,

I have AMD Machine (single core), with windows Xp running, 1 GB Raand. i have 3 HDDs totalling 600 GB. Now I am facing a seriuos issue. My windows is booting up properly but rather very slowly and after the OS is loaded it is not able to load all the applications and the primary hard disk - Seagate 160 Gb (master) is making some sounds when running.
I booted up the machine in safe mode but the same thing persists there too .. very slow application initialization and there after i can do nothing ..

I executed the Symantec anti-virus with a lot of difficulty and it showed no viruses ..

Is it a Hardware issue ?? If yes then how is the OS being loaded ? If no then then why is the OS not initialising the apps ??

rgds

1 GB Raand :ashamed: raand=whore correct me if raand is name for memory ;)

Regarding your problem..
1.Check Hard disk data cables inside,try replacing also.
2.Try another SMPS some time weak SMPS could be issue.
3.Scan your hard disk for bad sectors and other SMART information in HDD tune.

If results from HDD tune negative then recover your data and Change/RMA hard disk.

SOM1 said:
Hi all,

rgds

Format your Windows Drive
Install Windows XP SP2 (No add-on,soft, themes , gadets)

thanks everyone for chipping in ... hhhmm it looks like my HDD is really in the death bed .. i contacted the Seagate customer care thru mail and they have responded very favourably .. all my concern now is to backup the data ...

Things i have to do before i dump / replace the drive :
check for any bad sectors
check for any smps related failures
check for any SATA cable failures

One lesson i learnt from here is :

- Never have a bad circuit like a ungrounded earthing connected to your PC - which in my case was , i was getting residual current shocks from my cabinet all the time .. residual current is nemesis for HDDs !!
- Always connect your PC to an UPS or inverter as sudden power disruption affects the magnetic storage media ..which in my case was none !!

once again Gentlemen i apprecaite your inputs which were timely ...

P.S. If anyone knows how to get my data backed up in this particular condition it will be a real favour. Just in case any one needs the contact info :
a.ramalingam@accelfrontline.in -- he is senior person in Seagate service (outsourced )

Regards

Hi All,

i would like to share the good news that i have been able to recover my PC which was having a bad Sector in the Primary HDD from where it booted.

Process:

I had a Hiren's boot CD with me.

Using that i booted up the PC

I used the seagate disk tool wihch indicated that i have a bad sector

in my HDD after running a full scan of my HDD.

After that i found an application "HDD Regenerator 1.51" in the Boot CD

This application detected the Bad sector and repaired it.

It took a whole 10 Hours for it recover the bad sector.

now my PC is up and running fine !!

But mistakenly while loading Windows in another of my secondary HDD

i had formatted it :( .. I know how to recover the contents but i only issue

is it takes a long time and i have to recover 320 GB of data :( and i cant dump recovered contents in the same disk ... so i need another disk of the same size !!

chalo it has been a nice learning experience for me ...

Only thing that i have in my mind is how good is the intergrity of a HDD which

has been repaired from Bad Sector issues .. like how many more days before i face with wnother such issue under normal conditions ...

Back