Storage Solutions HDD making sound during activity

ysrathore

Disciple
Dec 9, 2009
Hi,

I have a seagate 160 GB SATA 7200 HDD in my comp, whenever any disk activity takes place, I can hear a sound coming out of the hard disk.

Is it ok for some sound to come out? I ran Seagate's SeaTools & checked the drive, no problems were reported. Can I return the drive to Seagate for this or have to wait for it to fail to do so?

harryneopotter

NEO is my middle name
Adept
Dec 24, 2007
wat type of sound ??? if its like "tak-tak-tak" then you better back up your data and pay a visit to Accell Care Center in your city !!

ysrathore

Disciple
Dec 9, 2009
Thanks guys....
The sound is like soft ticking sound....but in a silent room, its audible from 10 ft. away too.....
I'll back up the data today itself...could you provide me the details of the Accel Care Center in Bangalore??

Jan 6, 2009
Delhi
dont worry .... its nuthin. Its just that the rea/write head is started or moving. In my case it happens when i start up the computer and soemtimes in between also.

No need to worry , has been happening to me for atleast last 2 years, still going strong. Though i think U SHLD ALWAZ BACK UP UR DATA !

ysrathore

Disciple
Dec 9, 2009
Just done with the backup now........I'll give a call to the support ppl just in case & maybe have it checked out. The sound that's coming from my drive is just to loud to ignore I suppose. But it's also been running fine for quite a while....

kaiserbreath

Disciple
Jan 7, 2007
About 3 years back I had the same problem , so I opened the HDD only to find that it was infested with ants (merry go round for them?). Anyways once clean it was working fine.

But its a definite sign of imminent danger.

thetoxicmind

ex-Mod
Jun 3, 2007
Interweb
Just a FYI, if your HD starts making click sounds it's probably struggling to read/write content. So attempting to run it in this condition will only lessen your chances of a successful data recovery.

dkt433

Disciple
Mar 18, 2009
I got a same issue, i can hear an audible spinning sound from my HDD when i boot my computer. Anyways i already got PC restart issues from a few months. Dunno what to do :S. I hear a "tak" sound and my pc restarts. Is that a bad HDD issue?

ysrathore

Disciple
Dec 9, 2009
It's a similar sound of scraping metal.

Anyone has any idea if I can get it RMA'd for this problem or have to wait for it to fail?

ysrathore

Disciple
Dec 9, 2009
I did the test with Seatools. Passed all of em. Will do it again & post the results.

Any other good tools which might help out?

axeman

Ye Olde Systems Breaker
Skilled
Apr 28, 2009
Asleep 1-4
www.torrentleech.org
Clicking noise, with no errors in seatools, can just mean regular ageing of drive. Keep monitoring it once a week.

Maintain a regular backup of your data. In case you start seeing even one bad sector, you can RMA.

RMA will not be entertained on sound/ clicking noises alone if there is no negative evidence to back it up.

ysrathore

Disciple
Dec 9, 2009
When I ran the tests on Sea Tools now, all are failing & there is one Bad Sector on the drive. I guess I should go to the Seagate ppl now....:(

Also, I ran some utility called "Hard Disk Sentinel". It reported one sector bad & one more is about to fail...

ysrathore

Disciple
Dec 9, 2009
But there are no error codes in the Logs...Just the failed tests...

Jus a quick ques, when I took out the drive, I noticed a scratch on the side of the drive.
It would have been caused while mounting the drive. Not that deep but is clearly seen.
On the Seagate website, its mentioned that a heavy scratch on the baseplate voids the warranty....

Is the warranty of my HDD void??

Hacker

Skilled
Apr 1, 2005
Pune
Dude, just take the hdd to the service center and tell them its not detected by the BIOS and windows.

You dont have to take any printouts.