Hdfc customer care says citrus pay gateway is unauthorized

I was trying to make a payment for my hathway broadband on their website . There are 2 gateways on the payment page-citruspay and Techprocess. I chose hdfc netbanking through citrus pay and after entering all details on hdfc site , i get an error "We regret to inform you that we could not complete this transaction.Please contact home branch or phone banking. " After several attempts with the same error, ended up paying via icici netbanking

I call up the HDfc phonebanking today and the agent says that citrus pay is not an authorized payment gateway and it has been blocked by their team. A lot of users apparently call up regarding money being debited from credit card but not credited to respective billers through this citrus gateway.

Has anyone faced similar issues ? How did it go through icici smoothly if it was an unauthrized gateway?
Also, How come hdfc hasnt implemented OTP for their netbanking transactions?No security?

I was trying to make a payment for my hathway broadband on their website . There are 2 gateways on the payment page-citruspay and Techprocess. I chose hdfc netbanking through citrus pay and after entering all details on hdfc site , i get an error "We regret to inform you that we could not complete this transaction.Please contact home branch or phone banking. " After several attempts with the same error, ended up paying via icici netbanking

I call up the HDfc phonebanking today and the agent says that citrus pay is not an authorized payment gateway and it has been blocked by their team. A lot of users apparently call up regarding money being debited from credit card but not credited to respective billers through this citrus gateway.

Has anyone faced similar issues ? How did it go through icici smoothly if it was an unauthrized gateway?
Also, How come hdfc hasnt implemented OTP for their netbanking transactions?No security?
I get OTP whenever I use HDFC netbanking.

A lot of users apparently call up regarding money being debited from credit card but not credited to respective billers through this citrus gateway
Unrelated to citrus but with netbanking i've had payments fail with gateways for reasons of load i suspect. Money was instantly debited each time i retried.

After getting charged twice with no successful transaction i got in touch with the vendor who informed me the payment would be reversed

The first payment was reversed in a couple of days the second took over a week

How come hdfc hasnt implemented OTP for their netbanking transactions?No security?
Is there a box to enter OTP or is it missing ?

Sometimes the OTP does not come over and you should have an option to make it resend. i'm surprised there is no 2FA with your netbanking otherwise

Sounds fuzzy but I think all transactions should go via sms authentication. Been using almost all banks debit and credit cards on many payment gateways incl citrus never had any issue unless the site itself notifies "we are facing some issue with xyz bank the payment may fail so opt for another bank" etc.
If 2fa aint setup login to your account and enable sms for every transaction

Also bit off topic but i shopped for some 8.5k from myntra sale a week ago and this week received 4 items in one go and in that 2 items having identical price tag of 895. It was cod and i always opt to pay via credit card. The delivery boy said 2 identical payments cannot be made as it fails all times and he kept forcing me for cash. One payment went good in his swipe machine for 895 while other 895 failed twice as he kept getting a call in between which kept interrupting the transaction. We then tried third time it again failed. Then something striked me and i immediately rushed to check my phone and found sms stating 3rd payment was successful. So i saved myself getting paying multiple times. I showed him the sms history etc he too got convinced and we shared snapshot of the sms and it was all good. After 48hrs checked my axis cr card history and luckily it reflected all transaction payments only once.

Carnival Cinemas uses Citrus. I'm must say Citrus is Crappiest Gateway I've seen.

They don't accept RuPay Cards and Some Netbanking options Fail.

Is there a box to enter OTP or is it missing ?

Sometimes the OTP does not come over and you should have an option to make it resend. i'm surprised there is no 2FA with your netbanking otherwise

A subsequent transaction on the same day for a different vendor, I was presented with 2 security questions(which i answered while i first registered for Third -party transfer) instead of the regualar 2FA
It said, it suspected an unusual pattern than the usual transactions i make and hence the security questions
Transaction went through successfully without any OTP after answering the questions

Sounds fuzzy but I think all transactions should go via sms authentication. Been using almost all banks debit and credit cards on many payment gateways incl citrus never had any issue unless the site itself notifies "we are facing some issue with xyz bank the payment may fail so opt for another bank" etc.
If 2fa aint setup login to your account and enable sms for every transaction

Exactly my thoughts. Been using netbanking for icici and sbi all these years , never had an issue. In fact, i have been paying this hathway bill via icici and sbi netbanking for the past 1 year on the same citrus gateway without any issues. First time , such a thing has occured.
I felt it might be a one- 0ff case and didn't ponder much over it as there was atleast a security question involved. Will definitely login and enable sms for every transaction if it happens again.
Also , the customer care agent suggested me to use the bill pay option in netbanking instead of going through the vendors gateway .
Isn't there a delay of about a a day or 2 for it to get credited into the biller's account? on the bill-pay page itself, they happen to mention "Please pay 2 days well in advance to avoid late-credit issues[DOUBLEPOST=1530963267][/DOUBLEPOST]
Carnival Cinemas uses Citrus. I'm must say Citrus is Crappiest Gateway I've seen.

They don't accept RuPay Cards and Some Netbanking options Fail.
It is crappy. Looks shady too. I don't prefer it either.

A subsequent transaction on the same day for a different vendor, I was presented with 2 security questions(which i answered while i first registered for Third -party transfer) instead of the regualar 2FA
It said, it suspected an unusual pattern than the usual transactions i make and hence the security questions
Transaction went through successfully without any OTP after answering the questions
Those security questions is new for me. My bank does not have that option. It's either 2FA or not and if 2FA then gateway accepted or not. This is a nice catch 22 because both vendor and bank can blame gateway and leave you in the lurch

The only time 2FA does not arrive is when i'm paying advance tax.

Guys , need some clarity on this. I had a long chat with phone banker on this but still couldn't get a proper answer.
i made a transaction on swiggy today through hdfc netbanking and as usual got presented with 2 security questions instead of otp and after ansering the questions , the transactions went smoothy.
A while later, did a dth recharge via same netbanking on amazon and to my surprise , there was neither any security question nor any otp required . The transaction went through after clicking the confirm button
The phone banker says, every website is different. For swiggy , authentication may be required but for amazon it may not. The cust id and the password you enter is the only authentication
can anyone confirm if amazon transactions go through without nay otp?
Also, is there something i am doing wrong?Do i have to register somewhere in netbanking to get these otp? cause for imps and neft, it always prompts for otp

@hotshot05 @vivek.krishnan

is this really a big deal? It all depends on how long the merchant has the relation with hdfc and how many disputes the merchant get's. Also depends on your recent transaction behavior. It all depends on the bank. Stop wasting time on this really. I do ICICI imps transactions to my usual beneficiaries and sometimes it asks for ootp, sometimes doesn't , sometimes it asks for codes on back of debit card with numbers on it.

Guys , need some clarity on this. I had a long chat with phone banker on this but still couldn't get a proper answer.
i made a transaction on swiggy today through hdfc netbanking and as usual got presented with 2 security questions instead of otp and after ansering the questions , the transactions went smoothy.
A while later, did a dth recharge via same netbanking on amazon and to my surprise , there was neither any security question nor any otp required . The transaction went through after clicking the confirm button
The phone banker says, every website is different. For swiggy , authentication may be required but for amazon it may not. The cust id and the password you enter is the only authentication
Also, is there something i am doing wrong?Do i have to register somewhere in netbanking to get these otp? cause for imps and neft, it always prompts for otp
I've never been able to make a netbanking spend without OTP AND a transaction password on any website. My bank does not use security questions.

I did get charged twice with zomato on a weekend because of gateway failure. Bank debited but vendor didn't get paid. Gateway reverersed the payments later

@hotshot05 @vivek.krishnan

AMEX is the only card which does not need an OTP on Amazon.

HDFC asks for OTP, but not via its 2FA page, but via directly itself, but you can cancel and opt for the 2FA site (which is generally safer)

Other banks redirect to their 2FA site.

HDFC has some issues, over this week and particularly yesterday, several cards did not work...[DOUBLEPOST=1531362842][/DOUBLEPOST]Edit - for Netbanking, HDFC does not have an OTP, all you need is login. The security questions are not a 2FA, even though you think it makes you secure, since the details are usually found via social engineering (Facebook)

AMEX is the only card which does not need an OTP on Amazon.

HDFC asks for OTP, but not via its 2FA page, but via directly itself, but you can cancel and opt for the 2FA site (which is generally safer)

Other banks redirect to their 2FA site.

HDFC has some issues, over this week and particularly yesterday, several cards did not work...[DOUBLEPOST=1531362842][/DOUBLEPOST]Edit - for Netbanking, HDFC does not have an OTP, all you need is login. The security questions are not a 2FA, even though you think it makes you secure, since the details are usually found via social engineering (Facebook)
If I pay on PayTM, Freecharge, Swiggy, Zomato via HDFC Netbanking, it always asks me for OTP.
I have never been asked for answers to security questions. But OTP comes everytime except on sites where I have added the HDFC account using One Time Mandate (e.g Zerodha)

If I pay on PayTM, Freecharge, Swiggy, Zomato via HDFC Netbanking, it always asks me for OTP.
I have never been asked for answers to security questions. But OTP comes everytime except on sites where I have added the HDFC account using One Time Mandate (e.g Zerodha)

Hmm, I guess my info on HDFC is outdated then. Hence not bothered to get an account either, will check...

Maybe there is some setting which people can change to get OTP for all transactions. Not sure where that setting is though
It was optional years ago but now a mandate. Sbi still have it as optional with multiple radio button options against to choose from.
You can try for other banks by login into net banking and exploring some deep options further.

Back