PC Peripherals HDMI to DVI cable - where to buy?

mixke

Disciple
I want to connect my laptop's HDMI with my monitor's DVI. Can anybody tell me where can I find a good quality cable to do so? I'm located in Delhi for now. I tried a few shops with no luck.

Also, how do I check whether the cable is of good quality or not?

Sorry if the thread is in the wrong section. This is my very first post :hap2:

RedBull said:
Try ebay.in...u can easily pick one for around 350-400.
Thanks for replying. There are quite a few listed on ebay.in. Is there a way I can be sure that the cable will work, and is of high quality?

I have one with me, if you want. Bought for 1200 bucks, about 2 years ago (when my graphic card didn't have an HDMI port). Since I am using HDMI cable now, I can spare with that one for 500 bucks. Can ship it to anywhere.

mixke said:
Thanks for replying. There are quite a few listed on ebay.in. Is there a way I can be sure that the cable will work, and is of high quality?

It should! If it doesn't, you could claim a replacement or a refund.

sushantV said:
I have one with me, if you want. Bought for 1200 bucks, about 2 years ago (when my graphic card didn't have an HDMI port). Since I am using HDMI cable now, I can spare with that one for 500 bucks. Can ship it to anywhere.
With new ones available for 300-400 bucks, 500 bucks for 2-year old cable seems to be high. Please let me know if you could revise the quote.
Gannu said:
It should! If it doesn't, you could claim a replacement or a refund.
Ok! and is there any way I can be sure about the quality?

^Quality doesn't matter - if it's a digital signal, it doesn't matter if the cable is made by Monster or MX, the material is gold plated or titanium plated. Buy one which's the cheapest! You'll get the same IQ on the display. :)

mixke said:
With new ones available for 300-400 bucks, 500 bucks for 2-year old cable seems to be high. Please let me know if you could revise the quote.

Ok! and is there any way I can be sure about the quality?

Don't bother on quality too much. its digital, either you will get a signal or won't get a signal. gold plate or whatever it does not matter.

so get the cheapest one:)

Thanks a lot guys! Really appreciate it.

One more thing, you guys really trust the sellers on ebay.in? This weird question came because of the fact that I've never purchased anything off ebay.in :huh:

Gaurish said:
Don't bother on quality too much. its digital, either you will get a signal or won't get a signal. gold plate or whatever it does not matter.
so get the cheapest one:)
No Sir :no:. It is not like that. Digital signal are also prone to picking up noise, mostly noise from ac lines and wires running parallel to the cables. The signal levels is mostly 3.3v and I am not sure about the protocol followed by HDMI/DVI. But if the cable picks up the noise that is large enough, the receiving side may fail to differenciate between a logic high and low. The CRC may not match and whole frame may be rejected.
The attenuation of signal in a bad quality cable is also a big problem. Further DVI-D should faithfully transfer data up to 9.9gbps.. that may not be possible with a bad quality cable.
I agree that there are marketing gimmicks, but you can't rebuke everything on this basis. There are cables that is good, bad and very bad.

^Which's why most expensive ones come with ferrite cores. Cheapo HDMI cables do not come with one and are prone to pick interferences which essentially is not visible to the human eye!

I'd pick up the one on the eBay - generally most setups would not have lengthy wires from the source to the display nor any high-tension cables passing nearby.

I haved used a normal hdmi cable of decent quality and so called high-end cables.

and Essentially both have same picture quality. so why spend more for nothing, atleast I won't:)

mixke said:
I want to connect my laptop's HDMI with my monitor's DVI. Can anybody tell me where can I find a good quality cable to do so? I'm located in Delhi for now. I tried a few shops with no luck.

Also, how do I check whether the cable is of good quality or not?

Sorry if the thread is in the wrong section. This is my very first post :hap2:

I am actually looking for reverse thing.
My laptop is DVI output, which I want to connect to my LCD TV (which supports only HDMI or VGA).
Would the same cable which solves ur purpose, will work for me also (connecting its ends other way around) ?

cool.aquarian said:
My laptop is DVI output, which I want to connect to my LCD TV (which supports only HDMI or VGA).
Would the same cable which solves ur purpose, will work for me also (connecting its ends other way around) ?

it will work both ways.

cool.aquarian said:

As per the details available for cables listed on eBay, Yes!

One more thing, if you put up in Delhi you can get these cables in Nehru place for 250 bucks (+- 25 bucks). I called a few shops, and one of them (Satnam) have these cables :hap2: :cool2:

Thanks again for all the replies guys. I got my answer, and hopefully will get the cable in next few days.

Back