HDR in Far cry

Hi guyz
i enabled HDR in Far cry & was just blown away with the amount of lighting detail it can show over the Textures & Light sources.
Is anyone using it in FAR Cry - which i guess is till now the only game using HDR(correct me if any other)

HL-2 Lost Coast is said to have a way better implimentation Of HDR in it coming in Sept..

I guess its a complete new step towards texture rendering which is gonna just put life like 3d worlds in coming time

No,it will work only on cards will full DX 9.0C support i.e. it will not work on any current ATi card! :bleh:
Ati did get crytek to come out with alternate version of HDR for its X800 cards however that was just a demo and can't be applied to the game. :eek:hyeah:
To be fair,performance with HDR is low even on the NV40 and you can't use AA and HDR at the same time.The G70 is a definite improvement in that regard.

undertaker said:
No,it will work only on cards will full DX 9.0C support i.e. it will not work on any current ATi card! :bleh:
Ati did get crytek to come out with alternate version of HDR for its X800 cards however that was just a demo and can't be applied to the game. :eek:hyeah:
To be fair,performance with HDR is low even on the NV40 and you can't use AA and HDR at the same time.The G70 is a definite improvement in that regard.
You cant use AA with HDR on a G70 either :).

@stormblast: you need use this command r_hdrrendering [value] in the console. The value is between [0-11]. The best effects come thru 7 or 11. Its slow as a dog though on a 6600GT :/.

Last edited by a moderator:
The current implementation of hdr is just basic bloom effects, looks cool but far from realistic.
In the new few years, we shall see what is touted as the biggest strength of hdr - all possible real world colours and not just the 16 million we are currently limited to.

saumilsingh said:
The current implementation of hdr is just basic bloom effects, looks cool but far from realistic.
In the new few years, we shall see what is touted as the biggest strength of hdr - all possible real world colours and not just the 16 million we are currently limited to.
Hehe for that we need hdr display devices :). There was one demo'ed at siggraph 2004 that costed a cool $100K to build. So such tech reaching the common pc user wont happen too soon I guess. Tonemapping is the only way out for atleast the next 3-4 years.

HDR set to 7 works absolutely fine ! I get an average FPS of 50.6...

And yes, you cannot use AA and HDR together, though I wonder what looks better HDR or AA, cause I did not make out any difference when I set HDR to 7...

On which settings would I be able to play farcry.
Also , nfsu2 i can many times maybe even play demo at 1280*1024,maxed aa/af from settings and just accetpable/playable gameplay.though better gaqmeplay exists on lowering aa and maybe res

Bloom (that's what it is currently) and anti-aliasing can work together if applied in the proper order; bloom then aa.
Maybe a patch should be released to address the issue, Blizzard did that with wow some time back.

To pick one, I prefer the aa.

saumilsingh said:
Bloom (that's what it is currently) and anti-aliasing can work together if applied in the proper order; bloom then aa.
Maybe a patch should be released to address the issue, Blizzard did that with wow some time back.

To pick one, I prefer the aa.
Bloom in war3/hl2/KOTOR/DX2/Thief3 etc is fake hdr. It still doesnt use high precision texture formats. It still uses what all other games use. Infact even q3 engine games do some form of dynamic range enhancement by playing with the gamma ramp of the monitor. But none of these methods is actually hdr. Farcry does use the 16bit (R16G16B16A16 instead of the default R8G8B8A8 ) OpenEXR texture formats. If you enable floating point blending/filtering on GF6/7, you cant enable AA. There's no shortcut to it unless you actually do some processing in pixel shaders and blur ur output (this is what is done in the new 7800GTX demos). Traditional AA cant be applied as some of the circuitry in the gpu for AA/HDR is shared. Given the choice, I'd choose HDR over AA any day of the week :).

Back