Monitors HDTV Vs IPS Monitors - Please suggest

sbuch

Disciple
Need to buy a Display for my PC ., i am very much confused weather to buy a IPS Panel Monitor Or an HDTV, since both cost nearly the same. Dell u2412cost almost Rs.18200/- also a Sony 24" HDTV CX430 cost almost 17500/- and a Samsung 26" costs 20+ k
I use my PC mainly for browsing (50%)/Movies(45)/ games(5%)
now my query is:
1.What will be the main difference between a IPS and an HDTV color reproduction wise?
2. Will the be any sort of Lag.....while watching movies /playing games ???
3. will reading be a problem .........i mean will letters appear sharp as monitors in a HDTV?
4. will the refresh rates be an issue for a TV? like wise will resolution be a problem?

thanks
SBuch

Haven't checked out the specs of those TVs but for a PC, it's always recommended to go for a dedicated monitor rather than using an HDTV as a makeshift or permanent monitor.

An IPS paneled monitor will give you realistic and vivid color reproduction, greater viewing angles and deeper blacks (this is highly dependent upon the type of IPS panel used in a monitor; the ones using an eIPS panel are average in this respect like my PA238Q). As for an HDTV, these factors will depend upon the kind of panel it is using.
As for sharpness, it depends on the resolution of the TVs you are talking about. If they are 720p max, text sharpness will suffer. You'll be way better off with a full HD resolution monitor for that purpose.
Besides, TVs are just not meant to be used for close-up viewing for elongated periods of time. You will either end up straining your eyes or getting a headache. There have been a few examples of members here using a TV as a monitor only to dump that idea later on.

Tagging here the ones that come to mind, @Lord Nemesis, @Infected !

Last edited by a moderator:
I think usual problem is that text isn't as sharp when viewed from close on a regular 720p display. The dell monitor would be a better bet

Haven't checked out the specs of those TVs but for a PC, it's always recommended to go for a dedicated monitor rather than using an HDTV as a makeshift or permanent monitor.

An IPS paneled monitor will give you realistic and vivid color reproduction, greater viewing angles and deeper blacks (this is highly dependent upon the type of IPS panel used in a monitor; the ones using an eIPS panel are average in this respect like my PA238Q). As for an HDTV, these factors will depend upon the kind of panel it is using.
As for sharpness, it depends on the resolution of the TVs you are talking about. If they are 720p max, text sharpness will suffer. You'll be way better off with a full HD resolution monitor for that purpose.
Besides, TVs are just not meant to be used for close-up viewing for elongated periods of time. You will either end up straining your eyes or getting a headache. There have been a few examples of members here using a TV as a monitor only to dump that idea later on.

Tagging here the ones that come to mind, Lord Nemesis, Infected !

Yep, EternoMind is right. I used a plasma for like a year and now I am on a Dell 30"
Really its all good for movies and games,. but the biggest issue is the text, it is never clear enough,
and I have tried it on Panasonic Plasma, LG Led, Sony LCD, (We use about 15 HDTV's in the hotel so I can play around)
The best I love the Panasonic over the others, all were 1080p, but there is simply no comparison to an dedicated monitor.

As for OP's questions:
1.What will be the main difference between a IPS and an HDTV color reproduction wise?
Really depends on the TV.

2. Will the be any sort of Lag.....while watching movies /playing games ???
Again depends on the TV as well as Monitor both will have some amount of input lag, plasma's are better than LCD for this, but then CRT's are best, if this is your concern you might need some Gaming monitors with log Input lag

3. will reading be a problem .........i mean will letters appear sharp as monitors in a HDTV?
They are not a problem, one can read no issues, but they are not clear, i mean you should go and have a look, some HDTV's are terrible at it some are better,
one will have to check with the TV in the picture. I took my PC to the Panasonic shop before I paid them a penny to check how the TV responded to nVidia drivers and the font etc.

4. will the refresh rates be an issue for a TV? like wise will resolution be a problem?

No. All GPU's now give HDMI and the TV can ofcourse process that, even your sound will be via HDMI,
so problem with res etc. just stick to 1080p......Maybe while gaiming you might want to go down to 720p, depending on your card.

Get a Monitor.

Would recommend getting a monitor if close viewing is part of the usage, Have tried the experiment of using a 32" LED TV as a monitor and ended up with severe eye strain, headache and neck pain within the first two days. Switched to a 27" Monitor after that.
Monitor is a decent enough replacement for a TV, but a HDTV is a lousy replacement for a Monitor.

@Infected @Lord Nemesis

Will a Full HDTV suffice if i get it in a display of 24".....???
if not kindly suggest some good IPS monitor
budget is 15K(approx).......but may be extended if wa good & better choice is available
or will i better go for a TN panel monitor
:unsure::( really confused

......why are you inclined on a TV in 24", tell me one reason for it? There are some monitors available with a Tuner card even if I remember correctly.

@Infected
because the IPS monitor in budget i am looking at i.e. Dell U2412 costs around 18200/- (which does not have an HDMI) also a Sony 24" Full HDTV cost around 17500/-. having HDMI ..................

also U2412 is an eIPS.........
will the color reproduction in and eIPS be a whole lot better than a TN one.................i mean will i be better off going for a TN panel than an eIPS......

IPS and TN panels are worlds apart. Most people would never go back to TN after using an IPS panel. The difference is quite noticeable actually. I am glad with your choice of IPS.

Although for your restrictions, it all comes down to, a bigger TN panels vs a smaller IPS panel. You will have to choose what do you prefer more? Personally I would say the bigger screen wins, although I hate saying this coz it means ditching the IPS panel.

If you're getting IPS, do not get anything less than U2410. It comes with its colours calibrated and colous profiles specially made for Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. Also, I have to agree with Lord Nemesis, I tried a 32" HDTV arrangement too. Text just didn't look crisp, mild headaches and at times I'd even get small bars at the bottom of the screen. A fancy monitor would be better.

Also, why would you want HDMI? The U2412M doesn't need HDMI cause it doesn't have speakers or a line-out so DVI is more than sufficient.

I see you are extremely confused so I'm going to try and simplify this for you.

1. Dot pitch vs. panel size.

Viewing distances are directly related to the size of individual pixels. A 24" HDTV may have much lower dot pitch (larger pixels) and you have to sit further away from the monitor. A 24" monitor will usually have a 1920x1080/1200 resolution, enabling you to sit closer. I am aware of the fact that there will be many offering is the 22-27" range of TVs which offer FHD resolution, but I'll come to those in a minute.

2. Colour accuracy and display quality.

Usually IPS monitors offer much better colour accuracy, better viewing angles and far higher native contrast than TN panels. However, they also consume more power, have less black detail and exhibit what is known as the IPS 'sheen' which some people don't like. This is more prominent the closer you sit to the monitor. IPS panels also tend to be a little slower in specification than TN panels and have higher lag, but specs are one thing and real-world performance is another. My 3008 has terrible lag and very slow response specs, but in gaming there is absolutely no noticeable blur. Videos do get grainy, but that is mainly because even HD video is too low-quality for a 2560x1600 panel. I don't think you should worry about lag.

TN panels are truly unusable for someone who is used to IPS monitors. My other screens look washed-out and dull compared to my main monitor. A TV will usually have a TN panel because they have to cram in more features (below) and thus what you gain in terms of bling you lose in terms of display quality. IMO, quite a big loss.

3. Added features.

TVs will offer two or three features over monitors. One is remote control, the second is inbuilt sound and the third is a TV tuner. The third is completely irrelevant in today's day and age, the second is usually of unusable quality and it's only the first where I see some merit if you have more than one source and you need the comfort of your armchair. HDMI and DVI are electrically interchangeable, and DVI has higher throughput and less compatibility issues than HDMI. You have to understand that HDMI was invented for encryption, and all its other features were added over time.

Now, to the question of what you should get, AOC is lining up a 27" IPS monitor called the i2757, expected street price of 17.5-18k and with a 1920x1080 panel. The pitch is a bit larger than its own 23-24" panels, but I suspect it will still be usable as a monitor and be much better at 3-4 feet distance. My dealer says availability is sometime in March. Then you can always switch to the 23" 2312 from Dell. And inch between that and the 2412 will not be noticeable, but it will be almost 2.5k cheaper.

Note that IPS panel is only one component of a monitor's performance. The processing circuitry an overall colour accuracy are a combination of multiple factors, and a better brand will usually get more of the basic things right. Between the AOC and the Dell I would pick the Dell. Note that for best performance the monitors will need calibration to sort out the colours, which are always far off when set from factory. Every brand sets their brightness very high so that the panels impress you when you turn them on. This is nice, but wrong.

Good Luck.

checked an HDTV as monitor 2day at friends place ........ it really strains the eye.......so will go for a monitor......the choice is between dell2412M and AOC i2757fh.....

checked an HDTV as monitor 2day at friends place ........ it really strains the eye.......so will go for a monitor......the choice is between dell2412M and AOC i2757fh.....

Get the dell u2412m,1920x1080 won't be as sharp on a 27 inch as a 1920x1200 on a 24 inch.

I have the dell IPS monitor 23 inch. Both the 24 inch and the 23 inch are IPS monitors but when I bought there was a big price difference between the two. I also have a 32 inch samsung s6220 LED and yes the text is bad and I can never use the same for a monitor nor would recommend the same to anyone. I have both connecte to my desktop but the TV is used only when I am running downloaded stuff. For anything else, it is the computer monitor.

Back