Graphic Cards Heating problems for 4850 not over yet !!

pranut

Adept
I have a old version old version of MSI R4850.
The temp was 80 C. I applied the fan fix and the temp wend down to 60 C.

But now after sometime the temp is again 80 C.
I have checked everything, i run the fan 100% and its really noisy but still the temp is 76 C.

I stay in Delhi, is there anyone who can help me ??
I there is a manual fix like installing an extra fan is reqd then i will buy a fan.

I have never done this before so it will be very difficult for me.

PLZ HELP

You can go for an aftermarket cooling solution for your card but it will void your warranty. Other things you can try are installing some fans and increasing air-flow in your cabinet. If you don't mind the noise, stick a couple of Scythe Ultra Kaze fans into your cabby. You can also try some expansion slot VGA coolers, like the Antec VCool.

Strange that your card runs at 76C at 100% fan speed.. Is this idle temp or load temp? Because my card also reaches 75-76C @ 70% fan speed in demanding games like Crysis. Never tried any fan speed above 70%.

techster said:
You can go for an aftermarket cooling solution for your card but it will void your warranty. Other things you can try are installing some fans and increasing air-flow in your cabinet. If you don't mind the noise, stick a couple of Scythe Ultra Kaze fans into your cabby. You can also try some expansion slot VGA coolers, like the Antec VCool.

Strange that your card runs at 76C at 100% fan speed.. Is this idle temp or load temp? Because my card also reaches 75-76C @ 70% fan speed in demanding games like Crysis. Never tried any fan speed above 70%.

Installing after market cooling will NOT void warranty.
Provided you :-
1. Don't remove any stickers from the card.
2. Preserve the original Heatsink + fan assembly.
3. Install the orginal HSF when you give the card for RMA.

sahilm said:
Installing after market cooling will NOT void warranty.
Provided you :-
1. Don't remove any stickers from the card.
2. Preserve the original Heatsink + fan assembly.
3. Install the orginal HSF when you give the card for RMA.

Well, if you do a good job installing the aftermarket cooler and replace the original HSF before RMA, then the manufacturer might not notice it, but that does not mean that they allow it. Barring a few companies, official policy on installing aftermarket coolers/heatsinks is that it voids your warranty. The OP said he was new to these things, so I merely pointed out that installing a cooler might void the warranty of the card.

see this review by supra .........

http://www.techenclave.com/reviews-and-previews/palit-hd-4850-reviewed-against-8800gt-114729.html

better cooling setup ............first try this method
Palit HD 4850 Reviewed against 8800GT & 8800Ultra - Reviews and Previews - TechEnclave

n ARTIC ACCELERO S1 effect:
Palit HD 4850 Reviewed against 8800GT & 8800Ultra - Reviews and Previews - TechEnclave
if ur temps are not down then also then get ACCELERO S1

n u must have good airflow in ur cabby...........make sure u have good FANS installed for intake & exaust .

wtf!!??

i think the fan at 100% is contributing to the heat generation.

referrence hd4850 in my rig stays at 33c at 60% n 38c at 50% fan at idle now a days. (gettin higher 1-2c every month as i observe)

i thnk u need to introduce proper air flow inside ur cabinet.

80c is what is supposed to be at stock fan speeds.

Thanks for the reply, but i couldn't jump up to any conclusion.

I very new to ccomputing andI dont know anything abt After market cooler and all.

Which would be the best thing to do to decrease the CPU temp ??
The process should not be very complicated.

PLZ help me, i m ready to spend another 1-2k for cooling my card.

pranut said:
Thanks for the reply, but i couldn't jump up to any conclusion.

I very new to ccomputing andI dont know anything abt After market cooler and all.

Which would be the best thing to do to decrease the CPU temp ??
The process should not be very complicated.

PLZ help me, i m ready to spend another 1-2k for cooling my card.

If you can come to my place in Noida, I can help you.

^Read his original post:
I have a old version old version of MSI R4850.
The temp was 80 C. I applied the fan fix and the temp wend down to 60 C.

But now after sometime the temp is again 80 C.
I have checked everything, i run the fan 100% and its really noisy but still the temp is 76 C.

muzux2 said:

Why don't you read his post properly before shooting off? His fan is already running at 100% speed. Whaddya want - a turbine? :rofl:

^^Could it be a case flow problem? Sometimes improper airflow could contribute to an already toasty card. Else something impeding the speed of the fan contributing to the noise and slowing it down? Try running your setup without a cabinet and see if there's any difference.

Vandal said:
Why don't you read his post properly before shooting off? His fan is already running at 100% speed. Whaddya want - a turbine? :rofl:

^^Could it be a case flow problem? Sometimes improper airflow could contribute to an already toasty card. Else something impeding the speed of the fan contributing to the noise and slowing it down? Try running your setup without a cabinet and see if there's any difference.

+1 to vandy's suggestion.

it could also be an issue coz of the shoddy factory application TIM that HD48xx's were reported to have received.

Rogues338 said:
Personally speaking 80C seems just fine for an ATi card.

aren't those temps. high ?

80C is high for that chip.................what you are supposed to say is that ........ATI chips can bear more heat ? .......how come it be ?.........means they must be using diffrent material for making chips

------------------------------------------

if u r willing to spend 1-2K on heatsink ...........

get ACCELERO S1 costs about 1.5k and use high CFM FAN with it (instead of artic turbo module) . AMIGO 175bucks FAN (70CFM) will perform better than turbo modules.....only problem will be noice.......but that'snot too high .

for more info . see links i posted above i.e REVIEW by SUPRA

Clean the gfx there must be dust on the fan and if possible remove the heatsink and replace the stock goop with MX2 or AS5

Sudarshan_SMD said:
aren't those temps. high ?
80C is high for that chip.................what you are supposed to say is that ........ATI chips can bear more heat ? .......how come it be ?.........
means they must be using diffrent material for making chips

------------------------------------------
if u r willing to spend 1-2K on heatsink ...........
get ACCELERO S1 costs about 1.5k and use high CFM FAN with it (instead of artic turbo module) . AMIGO 175bucks FAN (70CFM) will perform better than turbo modules.....only problem will be noice.......but that'snot too high .

for more info . see links i posted above i.e REVIEW by SUPRA

Not true. ATi's have a higher thermal spec. And cut out on the dots. Its annoying. If you must use em, use no more than three.

Happened with me too, it turned out to be the dust blocking the airflow to the heatsink. The entry to the heatsink is quite narrow and a little bit of dust stops all airfow to the heatsink surface in that passage. Try cleaning the heatsink.

Back