Heatsink to replace stock cooler!

kg_87

Disciple
I have a pretty old build which has started making a lot of noise off late.

• CPU - Intel i5-2500K @ 3.30 GHz
  • Motherboard - Asus P8Z68-V
  • GPU - Zotac 1030 2 GB
  • RAM - Corsair 8 GB * 1 DDR 3
  • Monitor - Dell 2409
  • PSU - Corsair TX550
I have deduced that noise could be because of CPU stock cooler. I am looking for a budget heatsink/cooler to replace the stock one.

Please suggest.

Thanks.

For 1155 (i5/i7) processors, CM hyper 212 is highly recommended cooler, i've personally used it, later on moved to AIO. other cheaper options are Deepcool gammaxx 200T and antec A30. I'm surprised that you're now also on stock cooler. When i was using i5 2400, it easily reaches 80 degree while gaming on stock cooler, so replaced it with CM.

If on a low budget, do have a look at deepcool gammax 400v2

• GPU - Zotac 1030 2 GB
  • Monitor - Dell 2409
  • PSU - Corsair TX550
I have deduced that noise could be because of CPU stock cooler. I am looking for a budget heatsink/cooler to replace the stock one.

Please suggest.

Thanks.
Well I can see that you are running your cpu at stock speeds.
If all you want is a VFM alternative to stock Intel cooler with similar design then do consider cooler master i70. At 675 bucks including shipping from amazon its one of the best cooler for its price range.
I'm using it in my office pc with pentium g3220. Only downside i see to this cooler is the fan does not have PWM feature. But modern boards can modulate similar functionality with voltage modulation.

• GPU - Zotac 1030 2 GB
  • Monitor - Dell 2409
  • PSU - Corsair TX550

Please suggest.

Thanks.
act smartly , you might get the stock intel cooler from some forum member even for free or at very cheap rate .And 2500k`s time has passed so no point in throwing money on it

Thanks everyone! found the source of noise .. It's the PSU Fan. Once the PSU gets hot, the fan kicks in --> which is making whistle like noises and vibrations.

PSU has capacitors that can keep a deadly charge for several hours! Before opening PSU, disconnect plug from wall overnight (some hours may be enough ?)
The fan might be soldered in. Else you can just replace it one with the same size and voltage.
I would try a few drops of 'machine oil' on the PSU first though. Some fans have a sticker that can be removed for doing the oiling: See : http://www.dansdata.com/fanmaint.htm
You can get the machine oil from grocery stores or any hardware store. Its also called 'sewing lubriacant oil' I bought one recently for Rs. 30

PSU has capacitors that can keep a deadly charge for several hours! Before opening PSU, disconnect plug from wall overnight (some hours may be enough ?)

I usually turn off the power socket switch and push the power on button once to dissipate this capacitor charge.. The RGB leds of system fans do turn on for a split second when I do this which convince me that the capacitors are now discharged..

Back