Storage Solutions Help...BSOD...is it cauz of loose hdd cable???

DuBudhi

Disciple
I keep getting BSODs or freezes randomly say once a week....No dump files are found after the crashes either...

At first, I couldn't find the source of the problem. But now I'm pretty much sure that prob is cauz of the hdd...
The system boots up normally only when i adjust the sata cable. Someone please help. Is it because of a loose cable?

Btw i'm using the cable supplied with the motherboard. is that a problem? cauz a friend of mine who bought his computer bout a week ago is also experiencing the same problem.

And yes... my comp doesn't check the disk for errors after sudden restart. Is the feature switched off? Can it switched on again??

Thanks.

Cables supplied with motherboards are usually good enough. Any signs of wear and tear near the cables/ports? Try a new cable to ascertain if the problem goes away, new SATA cables should be easy to get (can look around for newer SATA cables with "hooks" that grab on firmly to the ports).

Make sure there are no sharp 90 degree bends in your SATA cable.

Your disk is probably formated using the NTFS filesystem. NTFS is a lot more reliable than FAT32, so you dont get those repetitive "Checking disk for errors" as with FAT32.

You can probably run "chkdsk /f c:" in a command prompt, and it will schedule a disk check the next time windows boots.

Just yesterday I got some SATA cables with clips on them - I had started a thread on this topic - the clips on the SATA cable make for a very postive contact with the sockets. These cables are orange colour and have been sourced from MSI boards boxes. Some MSI board buyer is so going to be out of luck as I have their clipped SATA cables. :D

ok u use a generic power supply i presume,At least ur rig gallery says that.

Try checking the power connectors, my comp usually hits the brakes when the power gets interrupted because of the crappy power connectors :mad:

It might not be the actual problem but do try switching a few molex connectors...might just work out.

Crazy_Eddy said:
Cables supplied with motherboards are usually good enough. Any signs of wear and tear near the cables/ports? Try a new cable to ascertain if the problem goes away, new SATA cables should be easy to get (can look around for newer SATA cables with "hooks" that grab on firmly to the ports).

Make sure there are no sharp 90 degree bends in your SATA cable.

No visible damage...thats one reason why i had doubts...if it did have some damage i'd have replaced it right away.

shrey said:
ok u use a generic power supply i presume,At least ur rig gallery says that.

Try checking the power connectors, my comp usually hits the brakes when the power gets interrupted because of the crappy power connectors :mad:

It might not be the actual problem but do try switching a few molex connectors...might just work out.

Yup i do use some generic power supply.

I've changed the connectors now...but there is no way i can check if the problem is gone....:mad: cauz it occurs very randomly...i can only wait for a few days.

Meanwhile i guess i'll get a new sata cable (and if possible with those clips) and change it as well...

Thanks a lot for the suggestions everyone :hap2:

Edit: Just remembered, a couple of times after the Bsod. when restarting the bios showed that overclocked values were very high (or something like that :S) but i've never overclocked my system. I simply entered the bios and exited without saving and the system restarted normally... I have no idea bout whats happening and i don't think calling a local serviceman is going to help....:(

Isn't updating the bios using the asus update the same as flashing it? I updated it today...

When i updated and rebooted again the same error was shown....

cmos settings wrong press F1 to enter setup F2 to load default values...

Does that have anything to do with the BSOD? Like the Bsod this is also very random...happens occasionally.

Edit: just googled for it....in some forum it was mentioned that it is due to a dying battery.... Is that so??? Should i replace the battery and will that solve this problem? :S I'm so confused....

Back