PC Peripherals Help buying an UPS for Desktop and Modem

Hi,

Recently power fluctuation, very short power cuts (5 to 10 mins) and rarely long (couple of hours) power cuts have started at my area (Navi Mumbai). I want to safegaurd my PC and Modem. Please help suggest an UPS.

Reqd:
1. PC Backup for 20 to 30 mins
2. Auto PC shutdown functionality once 20 mins are up
3. MTNL ADSL Modem Backup for an hour or two

PC Specs: AMD Quad + 8GB RAM + Corsair 450W + 1TB HDD + HD6770 + Del 24inch LCD

Please suggest a good UPS brand. Budget flexible but lower the better. Something around 3-4K mark. Will buy in couple of days time.

Thanks in advance.

Modem i think should require only what 20-30 watts..?
Hi modems usually work in the range of 6-10Watts I think. Regardless, I'm using a wep 650va UPS for my setup(corei7-860+2-1Tb-7200+logitecg-z506(yes it's connected through ups)+linksys modem+benq 24" monitor+msi hawk 5770.
i bought it 2+ years ago for 2.2K.

When UPS is completely charged, it throws in backup of 10-15 mins easily(for normal usage). I have experienced their after sales service and these guys are prompt and fast. They even replaced my UPS motherboard on 2 different occasions.
Another better alternative would be an APC-1100

man... based on the thread by quasar above.. it looks like buying an UPS is very difficult than what i thought.. How much power do you thin my system will use..? does APC has problem with Corsair 450VX ..? Should i look at local brands like microtek..? Dont want to buy wrong model if it does not serves my purpose..

man... based on the thread by quasar above.. it looks like buying an UPS is very difficult than what i thought.. How much power do you thin my system will use..? does APC has problem with Corsair 450VX ..? Should i look at local brands like microtek..? Dont want to buy wrong model if it does not serves my purpose..

am currently using APC 1.1KVA UPS with my PC (it was earlier connected to my TV and other accessories in the hall). now i was going to purchase another APC 650VA UPS to be connected to the TV now, but i saw that thread above and have decided to now try microtek 800VA double battery UPS. that doesn't mean for your rig APC UPS is bad. you can buy the APC 1.1KVA UPS for your rig.

I am not fixated of APC. Microtek 800VA double battery UPS cost wise is less so will work. What i am looking at is one that auto shut down the PC after the backup time is up.

Can someone help me estimate the total Watt of my PC. Also any reviews on how much load microtek 800VA double battery UPS can take and their after sales support.
@Quasar: how much did APC 1.1K cost you and how much load it is taking..?

Last edited by a moderator:
i didn't quite get about the 'auto shutdown of PC'-requirement after the back-up time's over. do you mean to say that the PC should shut down via the normal way, albeit automatically, after the back-up time is finished (because the PC will as it is shut down after the UPS support is over)?!

i had bought the APC UPS towards the beginning of the year, so it cost me a little less than what it is priced at now. i had purchased it on ebay (from the seller 'techshop' of techshop.in) after applying a discount coupon, and it came to something about 4.5k-4.9k if i remember it correctly. it's only 3 or 4 days since i connected the UPS to the PC.

your PC's power-consumption should come around 350W while browsing and about 380W or a bit more when gaming. as per my PC's specs, it must be taking a load of around 600W or a drop more (and am not gaming these days).

microtek's after sales-support can vary from decent to good, since i think it depends upon the area you are located in and the nearest reseller/distributor from your place of residence. i for one haven't encountered anyone complaining bitterly about microtek's after-sales service, and if i am correct, there are many resellers/distributors for microtek, so you should be able to get a good support from their end.

hi.. by auto shut down mean i can configure when the computer shutdowns or put in sleep in UPS mode.. instead of the computer forcefully shutting down at the end of backup time..

i am ok with microtek also.. the voltage supply at navi mumbai is pretty steady.. so microtek will also do.. which model of microtek has the autoshut down feature? any idea.. also i want the ups to beep only when its backup time is dying and not all the time it is on backup mode.. any suggestions plz.. microtek 1.1kva model looks 4K

sorry, but i can't tell about microtek having such a UPS (though i hope it does have). your best bet to know more on this could be either microtek themselves, or a local distributor.
though APC does have such UPS.

Back