Help Buying LED TV - Budget 70k (max)

raj_pol

Skilled
Hi Guys,

I am posting this for a friend of mine. This coming Saturday, he intends to purchase one and he has a maximum budget of 70k. He is looking to buy 40 inch and above subject to the given budget.

No plasmas, so please do not suggest any plasmas. Also he prefers internal wifi and also support for as many formats as feasible. He prefers a Sony but I can also convince him for a Sammy if necessary.

Thanks

Raj

LG is the best in 3d TV, i own one its 52" 3d[DOUBLEPOST=1382459983][/DOUBLEPOST]and also in led tv, buy lg eyes closed when buying consumer electronics except few smartphones

LG is the best in 3d TV, i own one its 52" 3d[DOUBLEPOST=1382459983][/DOUBLEPOST]and also in led tv, buy lg eyes closed when buying consumer electronics except few smartphones
I think OP would've mentioned if 3D were needed.
@OP: Look at Sony W670 as someone already mentioned. Don't know if Panasonic E6 has smart features or not, if it has its a serious contender.

@ithehappy My friend will not mind 3D if it comes within his budget. I have been doing some research of course and the W670 comes up. Now, the problem that I see is Sony's distinct lack of support for mkv formats and the support for NTFS file format till at least the 2012 models. They say the support is there in the 2013 models but that I have to check. Like most folks you will have a downloaded collection (he will take mine :p) which you would want to play. I was looking at also the W700A 46 inch slightly above budget but if it takes care of my previous concern I will suggest the same to him. At least in India I find the sammy's to be more expensive with their 6 series being as expensive as the W700A

@subham My friend, this being a tech forum you have to give me good reasons for the same. Can you direct me to any such sites or explain the reason behind your suggestion. Also, which specific LG models you have in mind for the previously mentioned budget range.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

W670 doesn't have 3D, but its anyway not your friend's 'have to have' requirement.

in LG, the 6910 is a serious contender. also, comes with a woofer in the TV.

another beast is Pana's E6 (is a 'smart' TV, but w/o 3D). a 42" can be had for 52.5-57k, including freebies. ET60 is its 3D-sibling. check that too. its closely followed by Sam's F6400.

P.S. - i don't know the price of the 6910. there's one 6620 as well. very similar to the 6910, with probably only the physical appearance being different, and is cheaper; but perhaps its available only in LG shops and not in other showrooms.

also, use this as well:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/selector.php

Last edited:
@raj_pol: I have the same question in my mind, will W6 series support mkv or not, thus I asked it in AV forum and got reply from a person that it does support mkv. Sony is extraordinarily horrible in this case, God knows what's the point in not supporting the most popular format, pure arrogance I'll say. I'm going on 26th, I'll confirm here if it does support it.

@ithehappy ..Nope, I do not think so. Very busy at work but check this link. Comes from someone who claims to own the TV and that was what I had previously read to. That would be a serious no because no mkv and no ntfs support.
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2093506
The first post says negative, then an user said matroska worked! Just scroll down a bit. But the drive has to be formatted in NTFS, damn it, I thought exFAT was supported. Anyway, I'm not believing anything until I see and test myself.

i think sony has 'reserved' that functionality for its higher-end models, like the w950/850/800, which reportedly can play them with subtitles as well!!

EDIT: alright. so the W6 also plays/recognises the mkv container. that's good!!

@raj_pol: Nope, my buying has been delayed for a week, freaking workload. I just got a price quote of E6 (42") from one of the local shop and they said 55k, which is a good price imo. When I asked about W650A and W670, they said they will call me back, which never came and I haven't had time to call them back.

Back