Help choose a graphics Card

Hi Guyz,

This is my first thread so if there is some mistake here and there plz forgive me.

Anyways ,

I am posting this thread because I am confused which graphic card to choose..

First ,the choice between GTX 460 and HD 5850...

And, after some day of searching I chose GTX 460 . But now I cant determine the manufacturer.

Zotac GTX 460 AMP ; Palit GTX 460 sonic platinum ; EVGA GTX 460 SC EE ; or will I wail for MSI GTX 460 HAWK. :huh::huh::huh::huh:

I dont know what to do. please guyz give me some suggestion. ( and ya I dont Hav any specific Budget limit :: approx 250$ and approx Rs 16k )

Since this is yer first post , I don't know whether you've read up recent posts in the garphics card section , to start off try this : http://www.techenclave.com/graphic-cards/graphic-card-buying-advice-148123.html

You could use the template provided there ...

What is your budget?

Current rig Specs

CPU

Motherboard

RAM

Monitor

Which PSU/SMPS will you be using?

Primary use? (Casual gaming, Hardcore gaming, Just for display, Movies/HTPC)

What resolution do you game on?

Interested in Crossfire/SLI?

Open to both Nvidia/ATI?

Hope I Helped :)

Sorry.....Thanks I33t

What is your budget? 16k

Current rig Specs :

CPU : i7 860

Motherboard : MSI P55 GD65

RAM : 4GB DDR3 CORSAIR

Monitor : LG 32" FULL HD TV

Which PSU/SMPS will you be using? Corsair 650TX

Primary use? (Casual gaming, Hardcore gaming, Just for display, Movies/HTPC) : Hardcore Gaming + HTPC

What resolution do you game on? 1920 x 1080 @60Hz

Interested in Crossfire/SLI? NO

Open to both Nvidia/ATI? YES

dragon hunter said:
Sorry.....Thanks I33t

What is your budget? 16k

Current rig Specs :

CPU : i7 860

Motherboard : MSI P55 GD65

RAM : 4GB DDR3 CORSAIR

Monitor : LG 32" FULL HD TV

Which PSU/SMPS will you be using? Corsair 650TX

Primary use? (Casual gaming, Hardcore gaming, Just for display, Movies/HTPC) : Hardcore Gaming + HTPC

What resolution do you game on? 1920 x 1080 @60Hz

Interested in Crossfire/SLI? NO

Open to both Nvidia/ATI? YES

I'd suggest the 5850 , If you could stretch the budget a bit , then I'd go for the Sapphire Radeon HD5850 Toxic Overclock Edition 2GB/ Radeon HD5870 , It was priced at about 17k (ex- bangalore ) .That config looks like a beast , will be waiting to see some pictures of the rig :D I'd do this since the GTX 460 is almost on par with the 5850 in terms of performance and performs better without crossfire x , if your going to go dual gfx cards later then go for the GTX 460 , cuz afaik SLI from nVidia is much better than Crossfire X

Hope ^^ Helped & Happy Gaming :)

+1 for MSI GeForce GTX 460 Cyclone 1GB and overclock it to surpass HD5850.

Go for EVGA GTX 460 SC EE if you can find one at a decent price.

@ l33t : Will post some pic of my RIG soon...Having issues with my camera...If nothing happens I will have to shoot some with my N97...

Anyways, Back to the Topic.

HD 5850 Toxic OC is a beast I know that and a 5850 is a good overclocker..But the problem is that many games Eg: Batman Arkham Asylum are Nvidia based and in those games the Nvidia cards smashes the Red Bulls...

So, that is the only factor that is putting me in a dilemma whether to choose GTX 460 or HD 5850.

As, far as I can say I can extend my budget upto 17k since I am saving the rest to buy a XBOX SLIM .... hee hee...

dragon hunter said:
Batman Arkham Asylum are Nvidia based and in those games the Nvidia cards smashes the Red Bulls...

a dilemma whether to choose GTX 460 or HD 5850.

extend my budget upto 17k since.
Go for the green gilled GTX 460 1GB GDDR5 ---Zotac Version

If you are going the i-net shopping way , here's to get you started -- http://www.techenclave.com/dealers-paradise/zotac-gtx-460-1gb-rs-12999-a-172303.html

Shipping costs wont exceed Rs 500 , so kick ass deal for ~ 14k

Next best bet would be a second hand 5870 - Makes for a great card , a new one retails for about 28k+shipping ---way off budget ,yes [found some in the members market , you'd have to wait tho]

^^ I'd say its a great deal :)

but then , the only cards which would fall in budget are the 5850 and the 460 , since you are playing "nVidia" based games --- to get things into prespective ...

23702.png

I play in 1920 x 1080 resolution....

I have searched through the entire net....and have decided on the Zotac GTX 460 AMP....over the palit and the EVGA one for some specific reasons...

Guyz what do you thinnk,......ZOTAC GTX 460 AMP.....

l33t said:
Go for the green gilled GTX 460 1GB GDDR5 ---Zotac Version

If you are going the i-net shopping way , here's to get you started -- http://www.techenclave.com/dealers-paradise/zotac-gtx-460-1gb-rs-12999-a-172303.html

Shipping costs wont exceed Rs 500 , so kick ass deal for ~ 14k

Next best bet would be a second hand 5870 - Makes for a great card , a new one retails for about 28k+shipping ---way off budget ,yes [found some in the members market , you'd have to wait tho]

^^ I'd say its a great deal :)

but then , the only cards which would fall in budget are the 5850 and the 460 , since you are playing "nVidia" based games --- to get things into prespective ...

Errr.... New HD5870 1GB GDDR5 sells for 22k and its the 2GB version that costs 28k. There is a ~10 months old HD5870 on sale in the market for ~15.8k IINM from Udit. It doesnt have local warranty though.

Will recommend you go for the GTX 460 768 MB from Zotac costs around 12K ( bangalore ) it cannibalizes the HD 5850 and can be overclocked to, hope meesa is not to late into the threadd :ashamed:

If Single GPU (No thought about upgrades ) 5850

If Dual GPU - GO SLI - GTX 460

To put it plain and simple , comparatively a single hd 5850 is faster than a single gtx 460 - but in dual mode - its gtx 460 hands down !

ALPHA17 said:
Will recommend you go for the GTX 460 768 MB from Zotac costs around 12K ( bangalore ) it cannibalizes the HD 5850 and can be overclocked to

Dont know whether Zotac GTX 460 768 mb cannibalizes HD 5850 or not ( I think not by a long range ) ....But the Zotac GTX 460 1GB AMP has really made an impression...It destroyes the Stock HD 5850......And to be honest there are still many nvidia based games..... and in very few games ati destroyes nvidia....So, I guess I will go with the GTX 460 AMP of ZOTAC.....It has the best reviews.....

What games do you like or play usually? :)
l33t said:
:p Messed up the prices sorry , Yes there is this FS going on - Udit's Gigabyte 5870, Dragon ur in calcutta too, Its a good deal , TODPHOD warranty i guess , but still will work ... here's the link

http://www.techenclave.com/members-market/gigabyte-gv-r587d5-1gd-b-radeon-170838-2.html#post1578728
dragon hunter said:
I have found out from 1 of udit's friend...Its sold out....
Looks like it's back on sale. :S

dragon hunter said:
Dont know whether Zotac GTX 460 768 mb cannibalizes HD 5850 or not ( I think not by a long range ) ....But the Zotac GTX 460 1GB AMP has really made an impression...It destroyes the Stock HD 5850......And to be honest there are still many nvidia based games..... and in very few games ati destroyes nvidia....So, I guess I will go with the GTX 460 AMP of ZOTAC.....It has the best reviews.....
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1GB & GTX 460 768MB Review - Page 19 hope this clears up the mess, it scales up the result progressively enough to say the card is a better deal than the HD 5830 and th 5850, but final call still in your hands bru

Back