Help Choose a modem/router for a newbie

iRobot

Recruit
Feb 10, 2011
I am looking for a modem with good range and torrent download facility.
I've shortlisted these modems by the recommendations of the forum members:
  • TP-LINK TD-W8968
  • TP-LINK TL-WR841N
  • TP-LINK TL-WR740N
  • D-Link DSL-2750U
These questions may sound naive to you, but please bear with me cause I've never used a wifi modem before o_O
  1. My home is old and has up-to 3-4 feet thick stone walls, will any of these modems work in this condition? I am hoping to get a range of ~30 feet away from the modem. Is that possible?
  2. Currently I use a Type 1 modem supplied by bsnl. Should I use this with the TP-LINK TL-WR841N or I should buy the TP-LINK TD-W8968 ? What are the pros/cons of using the either way?
  3. Why is the TP-LINK TL-WR740N router half the price of other ones? I see that this one is 150mbps but the max speed I can get from my ISP is 512kbps, so will that make much of a difference?
Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

Reactions: The_One_Eyed_Dude

Spacescreamer

ex-Mod
Jan 23, 2006
1) D Link-2750 and TP Link w8968 are now coming with 5 dBi x 2 antennas.
Both will be good for your house and will suffice for your requirements. You only need to make sure you purchase the model with 5 dBi antennas.

2) Never used two diff devices for the wi fi set up. Maybe somebody else will answer this query.

Edit: The router model you suggested also has the 5 dBi antennas. So yes you can.
Whatever set up you choose, The antenna gain will matter here again.

3) TP-LINK TL-WR740N is simply a router.
Models like D Link 2750 and TP Link w8968 are modem+routers.

Last edited:

iRobot

Recruit
Feb 10, 2011
Thanks for the replies.
3) TP-LINK TL-WR740N is simply a router.
Models like D Link 2750 and TP Link w8968 are modem+routers.
Yes, AFAIK the TP-LINK TL-WR740N and TP-LINK TL-WR841N are just routers, I need to know about the difference between 150mbps and 300mbps :)

Which is your ISP ?
BSNL

Edit:
I purchased TP LINK 8968..with usb and 2 x 5 dBi.
This the best, Only glitch is cannot be used as Independent Downloading System.
According to this post, I can't use the TP LINK 8968 as an independent downloader(with external hard drive connected to it). Is that right?

Last edited:

iRobot

Recruit
Feb 10, 2011
So I will stick to routers only, Do you have any other recommendations for the routers ?
My budget is 2.5 - 3k.
Choices narrowed down to:
  • TP-LINK TL-WR740N
  • TP-LINK TL-WR841N
  • Asus RT-N13U B1 (Out of stock, is this product discontinued ?)
Looks like a lot of people use the Asus RT-N13U B1 , should I just stick with that?

Last edited:

prateekS

Skilled
Sep 19, 2012
Mumbai
You should go with WR841 purely because of its amazing performance, simple and effective Web ui and Best after sales of TP LINK(they simply send you a brand new one in return), 3 years warranty.

Dlink gives refurbished ones as replacement, and Asus one has been too problematic I suppose.

iRobot

Recruit
Feb 10, 2011
Okay, I just realized that the only router that supports torrent download to external hard-drive is Asus RT-N13U B1 and that product is out of stock :banghead:

Are there any other routers with similar features and cost ?

vivek.krishnan

BLR~ZRS-TX-1-MX
Skilled
Dec 18, 2009
Ghatkopar, Mumbai
plus.google.com
Yes - some of the N13s did have that issue.

As far as TP Link - check if available in your area (ASSC) and then go for it. YMMV.

I would suggest to get a cheap BSNL modem - pay for it, do not rent it - put in bridge mode and let the routing be done by the N13 or whatever router you are looking for.

prateekS

Skilled
Sep 19, 2012
Mumbai
Okay, I went ahead and bought the TP-LINK TL-WR841N and its working great so far :) Thanks for all the suggestions.
I use the same. Best part is the range. I stay on the 4th floor of a building. And I get 2 bars signal on the ground floor and at a shop across the road too xD