Help Choosing New Server Rig

aasimenator

MCITP 2008
Reseller
Hi,

My Remote Server Support business is flourishing & I finally have cash to buy a new dedicated system where I can work & practice my skills. This New Server will basically be used for Remote Desktop, VMware Client, LogmeIn etc. also Hyper-v will be used to Practice & testing new technologies & products before implementing on the production server and will be online/ running for 24/5

My budget is not too big Rs. 35000/-max. and if required I would continue upgrading later.
I am stuck on 2 processor, The Intel i3-530 2.9GHz 4MB L3 Cache Vs. AMD Phenom II X2 550 3.1GHz 7MB L3 Cache

Accordingly i have selected the motherboards. Intel BOXDH55TC Vs. Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H

For AMD I will have to use DDR2 RAM whereas for Intel I will have to use DDR3 RAM: 4GB RAM

The common things are
Seagate 1TB Hard Drive SATA2 7200 RPM
Sony DVD-RAM Drive SATA
Sunbeam Core-Contact Freezer
Thermaltake Element T Cabinet with 450PSU
AOC 20" Wide 2036Sa LCD Monitor
Microsoft Keyboard + Mouse Combo

Which totals to Rs. 36300/- for Intel & Rs. 32750/- for AMD

Which one should I go for :huh: Also any suggestion are welcome regarding the config. :hap2:

Hey Bro there is nothing like that if you are buying an AM3 based motherboard you have no option but DDR 3 until its a Biostar mobo.
About the processor it is better if you go for AMD as at the same price point you get a quad core instead of a Dual Core with Hyper Threading :eek:hyeah:

One more thing you are going for a very old AMD mobo plz change this to a GIGABYTE GA-MA785GT-UD3H or GA-785GMT-USB3 or if you are looking at ASUS campus get the ASUS M4A785TD V EVO it should fit your budget perfectly than GIGABYTE which I find overpriced :)

ALPHA17 said:
Hey Bro there is nothing like that if you are buying an AM3 based motherboard you have no option but DDR 3 until its a Biostar mobo.
About the processor it is better if you go for AMD as at the same price point you get a quad core instead of a Dual Core with Hyper Threading :eek:hyeah:

One more thing you are going for a very old AMD mobo plz change this to a GIGABYTE GA-MA785GT-UD3H or GA-785GMT-USB3 or if you are looking at ASUS campus get the ASUS M4A785TD V EVO it should fit your budget perfectly than GIGABYTE which I find overpriced :)

No I meant in a good way that with AMD I have to go for DDR2 as 4GB DDR3 the price difference is almost 2k :eek:hyeah:

I don't quite agree with you on the AMD Quad Core option as its based on luck factor, & even if i do get i am not guaranteed 100% success & stability, where as with the i3-530 i am guaranteed & sure what i would get.

Are the boards GIGABYTE GA-MA785GT-UD3H or GA-785GMT-USB3 under 5k?

ALPHA17 said:
Second that don't waste on on i3 better go for Q9XXX series as they are Quads and you would get it a better price now, or the AMD AM3+ Series
The AM3+ Processors have a special instruction set that helps with Hyper-V when using as a Desktop(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/961661)
I'm not sure whether buying cutting edge hardware is going to do any good to you. Unlike you I do not have a buisness, but do use my machine to run multiple machines in VMware, and use RDP to access them, having a Quad does help as I can assign 2 cores to each of my VM's and they run great
If you do want to use cutting edge, then nothing like a i7 920 or it's equivalent Xenon, which someone was selling in the Market recently. The i7 also does not suffer from the Hyper V Bug due to the SLAT feature.

I am sure Q9xxx would be better than Intel i3 but the price is 2x or 3x than that of i3

I currently run 5 VM's on my Windows 7 based AMD Athlon x2 5200+ OCed to 3.2GHz so I am quite aware of AMD & its power.

As I said in my main post Budget is an issue I want to build this system under 35k & but a Intel Xeon/i7 for 15k & its Motherboard for another 10~15k won't do good on the budget.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=118&p2=120&c=1

You can see this link it shows that Intel i3 530 kicks AMD Phenom II X2 550 A**

How Much Would a Q6600 with G0 stepping cost me?

http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i3-530-processor-review/11

Humm, then trust me and stick to AMD, as they have some reall good multicore proccessors coming up which would run on AM3 platform, a general rule with Virtualization, more the cores, the better it is !

Did you check Dell PowerEdge T310 and T100 servers?

For server class machines, I would strictly recommend branded ones with server class hardware and certainly not Biostar and other shit!

What you need is h/w optimized for heavy multitasking and speak with Dell, Acer and HP dealers and check what h/w you can get. You can easily get a Xeon/Opteron based server.

And please stop recommending these black editions coz they overclock blah blah blah. Strictly they are meant for use on desktop and they choke when used for servers.

As a Network Admin myself, I have to say that no matter how precise you are in selecting the components, an assembled Server can never match the stability of a branded Server. An assembled server can perform better but not stably.

So it boils down to performance vs stability and for business stability is lot more critical than a little less performance.
desiibond said:
Did you check Dell PowerEdge T310 and T100 servers?

For server class machines, I would strictly recommend branded ones with server class hardware and certainly not Biostar and other shit!

What you need is h/w optimized for heavy multitasking and speak with Dell, Acer and HP dealers and check what h/w you can get. You can easily get a Xeon/Opteron based server.

And please stop recommending these black editions coz they overclock blah blah blah. Strictly they are meant for use on desktop and they choke when used for servers.

Back