OC & Modding Help CPU is frying!!

Hi Guys,

I'm using 3800+ 939 on stock cooling, no OC, 2.0 Ghz(that's a crime I have heard :d ).

Recently I cleaned up the system and removed the thermal paste. And I get a real cheap one from local vendor(Rs 20/- for a tiny tube). But the temp is close to 64 deg. That is dangerous right?

Help me out guys, I am a total newbie. I'm not even sure what right temp should be.

Ouch!!! You'll need some better TIM like the MX2 or at least the Artic Silver 5.

For now, I dont think it'd be any wiser to switch on the comp with that el-cheapo TIM. :| (Was that really a TIM?? I mean 20 bucks!!!)

64'C is hot by any means.

How much thermal paste you have put dude. Did you put it on the centre. See if the heatsink is placed properly. A paste like artic silver 5 takes 200 hours of run time. Give it sometime till the paste is settled properly

Out of curiosity how did you remove the old thermal paste?

How much paste did you use?

I'm running a 4000+ on a stock cooler using the same/similar white compound just for kicks, and it runs exactly the same temps as MX-2, maybe a degree higher.

You need very little, and you should spread the layer around a bit on the heatspreader of the CPU.

This is usually an application issue, unless you got some junk masquerading as thermal paste.

how much paste did u apply....prolly tht 20buxx thing is chuna.lol..i got one for 10buxx....utter crap.

get something of cooler master worth 75buxx...n apply on little n spread over whole except the corners.

try to reseat...........coz i m using 10rs ki dabbi for all my thermal paste need....my cpu idles at 36 and at load it is 66!...graphic card [8600gt-725-core] idles at 46 and at load 55!......thats with ACF7P and moded HSF for GFX card

Gunman said:
Ouch!!! You'll need some better TIM like the MX2 or at least the Artic Silver 5.

For now, I dont think it'd be any wiser to switch on the comp with that el-cheapo TIM. :| (Was that really a TIM?? I mean 20 bucks!!!)

64'C is hot by any means.

That was the best I could get from my neighbourhood shop. And I was quite surprised to find they had it at all :)

It looked like TIM(though I have no idea what it actually looks like) :D it was sticky and gooey and left s white residue when I washed my hands. Only soap could get it off.

You got me shit scared. I'm switching off as soon as I'm done answering.

The Sorcerer said:
How much thermal paste you have put dude. Did you put it on the centre. See if the heatsink is placed properly. A paste like artic silver 5 takes 200 hours of run time. Give it sometime till the paste is settled properly

Out of curiosity how did you remove the old thermal paste?

I placed a fair amount. To ensure I get a even surface. By that I mean minimum amount req so that i can't see CPU surface.

I scrubbed off the CPU. Washed off the heat sink.:ashamed::ashamed:

sangram said:
How much paste did you use?

This is usually an application issue, unless you got some junk masquerading as thermal paste.

That could be a possibility.

WingZero said:
how much paste did u apply....prolly tht 20buxx thing is chuna.lol..i got one for 10buxx....utter crap.

get something of cooler master worth 75buxx...n apply on little n spread over whole except the corners.

Only if I can find something in damn Noida.

EscSysRq said:
try to reseat...........coz i m using 10rs ki dabbi for all my thermal paste need....my cpu idles at 36 and at load it is 66!...graphic card [8600gt-725-core] idles at 46 and at load 55!......thats with ACF7P and moded HSF for GFX card

Yeah it's 20 ki dabbi :) LEmme try again. Logging off now dude. Updated tomorrow. Well keep you in loop.

Okay guys, even at minimal load the CPU is at 64 deg, with just a firefox window open.

One more thing about the paste. When I first applied it, I guess I put a bit too much. So after restarting my system, when I tried to pull out the heatsink it was stuck somewhere(not the clips)!! I pulled harder and the whole CPU came along it! That was when the holding lever of the CPU was still in its position. It took quite and effort to separate the two(HS and CPU).

So is it the thermal paste or method of applying? Either way, please guide.

I think there's way too much paste.

The paste should be fine. It usually has a lot of surface tension, and I've seen it stick the HS and CPU together. As long as your pins are not bent, you should be fine.

Apply just a little it, most issues happen because of the amount. You need about the size of a small peppercorn, and then spread it around with a toothpick till it's evenly spread. You should be able to see the heatspreader through the paste, it should be that thin. Don't paint the CPU with it. Squeeze the heatsink down on it a couple of times, and then attach the clips.

To rule out the paste, get a tube of 'computer grade' TIM at an online store - somebody can ship, even if you can't get it locally. The next time you detach the heatsink, if you use white paste, it's going to pull the CPU out again. This is normal. To prevent it, warm up the CPU first (I don't see that as a problem with your current temps) and after detaching the clip, wiggle the heatsink to free it up a bit.

sangram said:
I think there's way too much paste.

The paste should be fine. It usually has a lot of surface tension, and I've seen it stick the HS and CPU together. As long as your pins are not bent, you should be fine.

Apply just a little it, most issues happen because of the amount. You need about the size of a small peppercorn, and then spread it around with a toothpick till it's evenly spread. You should be able to see the heatspreader through the paste, it should be that thin. Don't paint the CPU with it. Squeeze the heatsink down on it a couple of times, and then attach the clips.

To rule out the paste, get a tube of 'computer grade' TIM at an online store - somebody can ship, even if you can't get it locally. The next time you detach the heatsink, if you use white paste, it's going to pull the CPU out again. This is normal. To prevent it, warm up the CPU first (I don't see that as a problem with your current temps) and after detaching the clip, wiggle the heatsink to free it up a bit.

Will try it out in evening and let you know. Thanks :)

And don't forget to clean the old Goop thoroughly before reapplication.

Use Isopropyl Alcohol swabs for this, you'll find them easily at your local medical store.

Reseat the HSF. that white goo is fine for all your needs actually. maybe you havent seated the proccy properly.

I did everything, isopropyl thing, real flimsy coat of paste. I guess the culprit is paste only. Temps are below 60 now, idling around 57 deg. Fan speed bounces between 3k to 4k.
Any of you can suggest if I can get half decent TIM from anywhere in Noida.

Attaching pics

apply the paste so that there are no air gaps in between :)

Use a credit/debit card to spread the paste on the IHS

..go buy a new heatsink for smtin like 200-300 rs.......TIM usually make defference when heat-production is too much...like ur running ur proccy at 2.0v or smthing .for rest of as using non oced or moderratly oced....it will have less impact.........

use TIM of the amt of a seed of corn and spread it with ur finger....why finger bcoz u can feel that if this low quality tim is making any lumps ...if it is making; remove lump ....and form a semi translucant layer .....move ur finger in only one direction.....genlty.....

I can see shadows and lumps. It's still too thick, but you should probably use a known TIM. You need just a light film, the thickness of a sheet of paper and no more. A credit card or visiting card is perfect, scrape it lightly along the surface till you're not sure if there is a coat or not. You should be almost able to see the heatspreader. If you're having a lot of trouble, put it in the center only, don't spread it, put on the heatsink, press down, and remove the heatsink. See the way it's spreading out? The total amount must be no more than 3 mm sphere. That's the best I can do.

Just order your paste online. It'll save you the hassle.

Back