Video help decide on 37-40 inch LCD.

kookitan

Disciple
i need a 37 or 40 inch LCD for my living room.
it has to be the most value for money and bang for buck.
FULL HD is not necessary but will it be good as a future investement?

how are VU tv's?
a VU 40" FULL HD was selling for around 53-54k in croma which is cheaper than the 37" samsung series 5

help me on some good value 37-40" LCD'S?

kookitan said:
i need a 37 or 40 inch LCD for my living room.

it has to be the most value for money and bang for buck.

FULL HD is not necessary but will it be good as a future investement?

how are VU tv's?

a VU 40" FULL HD was selling for around 53-54k in croma which is cheaper than the 37" samsung series 5

help me on some good value 37-40" LCD'S?

VU - skip it over samsung anyday.

Also,The samsungs will be overpriced in croma. Go to some other dealer n bargain. I managed a quote of ~50-51k for the 37" samsung 5 series :)

Also, take a look at the 40" samsung 4 series as well. Only 5000 CR difference. We couldn't make out any difference from the picture on the screen though. It was around 50-53k too :)

go for Samsung A550 50 inch. This is the Series 5 TV.

LA40A550P1 is the best VFM. Sells around 60k ! I got the same. Many have the same.

Read Cnet and tech2 reviews. :)

^^^The 550 is good too :) But 60k. You can get the 5 series 37" for 51-53k too :) Your preference ;)

ALSO NOTE: Samsung revamped the whole LCD lineup this diwali with better panels. There are 2 versions (for the 5 series 40") now: One with 30000 DCR and one with 40000 DCR. Ppl like croma will try to sell off the 30000 models first for stock clearance (they tried it with us when linuxtechie went to get his). MAKE SURE you get the newer ones with better DCR :)

DCRs for most other series have ALSO been improved. So check up with the nearest Samsung Digital Plaza and get the newer models ONLY.

smoky004 said:
Does that apply only for series 5 or for series 6 as well??

The WHOLE lineup. Thats why I recommend going to the nearest samsung digital plaza. Ask them the specs of the NEWER models and you will get accurate info :)

techie_007 said:
Thats why I recommend going to the nearest samsung digital plaza. Ask them the specs of the NEWER models and you will get accurate info :)

That's the problem. i live in baroda and we don't have a samsung digital plaza here.:mad:
Is it only DCR or other specs change as well ?? I mean the updated models have a DCR of 50,000 so if we goto croma and ask for that model wouldn't they provide us that model ??

a_k_s_h_a_y said:
DCR is crap, don't fall for it.

In AV forums no body even cares about DCR.

Samsung Series 5 had DCR or 30,000:1

And during Diwali time they changed it to 40000:1 ! To compete LG Scarlet, obviously.

They advertise as 40000:1

But on the website, the specs say 30000:1 ! Same model, everything same.

Official Samsung LNxxA550 (Series 5) Owners Thread NO PRICE TALK! - Page 200 - AVS Forum

STOP. READ above posts :)

Samsung DID change/improve the panels in their lineup. HOWEVER, the site is probably NOT updated yet :p

NEWER PANELS HAVE 40000 DCR compared to 30000 earlier. However, people like croma which usually order in bulk still have OLDER stock @ 30000.

Its NOT marketing gimmick. THe panels HAVE improved. THats why I told you to goto Samsung official distri/plaza and check :cool2:

Croma here gave us a quote of 58k for teh 40" 550 too :p BUT we checked and it was the 30000 DCR model, hence the discount :p

We finally got the 40000 DCR model for 59.8k i think. Had to wait for a week though. As per the Samsung plaza guy, newer models have just been launched on diwali and hence stocks availability was lower.

I REPEAT: Newer panels ARE out. Make sure you get a newer panel one, even if its slightly costlier. Do NOT fall for the older models which most showrooms will try to clear off first :p

@Smoky: AFAIK, croma here is still trying to get rid of older stock first at cheaper prices.

@akshay: You might want toupdate that forum too if you are a member :) Just goto any Samsung Digital Home showroom, NOT other consumer electronics ones like croma etc. The Samsung guys will clearly show you the newer ratings, values etc. :D

DCR, ironically enough, has nothing to do with the panel itself, but the backlight. Always look at the panel's native contrast ratio as a measure of how deep the black can go.

DCR~PMPO, and anyway it ceases to exist when you switch dynamic contrast off, which, after 10 minutes of experiencing it, you will. At least, in all my demos, I ended up doing.

I can't speak for the size you're looking for, but in the 32 inchers I was looking at, the best panel I saw was a Philips, believe it or not. I wasn't keen on evaluating, so don't remember the model numbers, but it lost very little of its PQ even at some impossible angles offscreen, and straight to the screen it was nice and bright, even if the skin tones were slightly washed out, or maybe I was comparing it against some very oversaturated and bloom-filled TVs. Not sharp, but if you split a Tata Sky signal to one hundred TVs, I doubt it can get sharp - every TV was displaying a blurry signal.

VU - See you. They still need to figure out their brand. They started at the luxury end and now have ended up offering the cheapest TVs. And being backed by Zenith, AS&S is still a question. The TVs I did see were not half bad, but likely TN panels for the 32 inchers. Bright and clear head on, but deteriorated very quickly off-axis, so more than a couple of heads watching at the same time would be an issue.

sangram said:
DCR, ironically enough, has nothing to do with the panel itself, but the backlight. Always look at the panel's native contrast ratio as a measure of how deep the black can go.

DCR~PMPO, and anyway it ceases to exist when you switch dynamic contrast off, which, after 10 minutes of experiencing it, you will. At least, in all my demos, I ended up doing.

I can't speak for the size you're looking for, but in the 32 inchers I was looking at, the best panel I saw was a Philips, believe it or not. I wasn't keen on evaluating, so don't remember the model numbers, but it lost very little of its PQ even at some impossible angles offscreen, and straight to the screen it was nice and bright, even if the skin tones were slightly washed out, or maybe I was comparing it against some very oversaturated and bloom-filled TVs. Not sharp, but if you split a Tata Sky signal to one hundred TVs, I doubt it can get sharp - every TV was displaying a blurry signal.

VU - See you. They still need to figure out their brand. They started at the luxury end and now have ended up offering the cheapest TVs. And being backed by Zenith, AS&S is still a question. The TVs I did see were not half bad, but likely TN panels for the 32 inchers. Bright and clear head on, but deteriorated very quickly off-axis, so more than a couple of heads watching at the same time would be an issue.

Agree. Philips are using S-IPS panels for most of their TVs.. quite underrated, IMO. Worth a gander.

sangram said:

+1 as always sangram sir :)

DCR IS overrated. However, I was just pointing out the method to differentiate between the two available old and new samsung 5 series models :)

sangram said:

:p cann't be truer than what u said.

I can't speak for the size you're looking for, but in the 32 inchers I was looking at, the best panel I saw was a Philips, believe it or not. I wasn't keen on evaluating, so don't remember the model numbers, but it lost very little of its PQ even at some impossible angles offscreen, and straight to the screen it was nice and bright, even if the skin tones were slightly washed out, or maybe I was comparing it against some very oversaturated and bloom-filled TVs.
Very few ppl care about it, I actually found the Sonys n Sammys fairly reddened may be they do it since the red seems easily attractive initially, and buyers tend to prefer that. However extend the audition to an hour or so at a stretch and u know why you have tears in your eyes.
Not sharp, but if you split a Tata Sky signal to one hundred TVs, I doubt it can get sharp - every TV was displaying a blurry signal.
Even large malls like Croma, or brand shops like Sony World do it. Dunno when they'll realize that they are not doing any good to the sales figures by this. Why skimp on signals booster or repeaters?

Me too would recommend philips anyday, the washed out skin tones are a no issue, fifteen minuted with the TV menu and you can get what you want or at least pretty close to it.

Bought LA40A550P1 for 58+K on 7 sept Delhi Lxmi ngr. Much betr than VU and Good on site support. Try for this as this the best deal in range and VFM

my dad already picked up the 4 series samsung 40inch LCD TV for 55k... it will be here in a days time.
is it a good choice??? is the 4 series from samsung full hd? if not, then will it make a BIG diff? the TV is in the living room and not gonna be used hardcore.
pls give ur comments

Back