CPU/Mobo Help decide processor

Rockfella said:
^ no, overclock it to 3.4GHz~.

+1
Those processors won't be much of an upgrade.
Get some good aftermarket cooling and OC. Change your prespective about OCing, it has no side effects if done properly and within certain limits. Ask around and read guides. To think that you haven't been running your CPU to it's potential all this while...

You can probably stick to the Q6600 right till the end of your Socket LGA 775 usuage, it's a really nice chip.

Sorry to say but I wont overclock my processor at all. So what will you prefer now. Basically I wanna say that my rig is - Core2quad Q6600, Asus P5N-E SLI and 8600gt. And I am having Rs. 10k cash in my hand. So what upgrade will you prefer from gaming point of view. Moreover I am interested in upgrading my gpu to gtx 260 but one of my friends told to me to sell this rig and take amd phenom 2 x4 940 and HD4770 gpu. Now I am seeking advice from you guys. So plz help me out. And let me clear you one thing that I never gonna over clock any of my pc components so plz advice keeping this in mind.

Regards

Mayank Sahni

pavasedge said:
Sorry offtopic but what vfm and EOL means.I see these words often but can't understand the meaning.

VFM = Value for Money
EOL = End of Line :)

mayanksahni said:
Sorry to say but I wont overclock my processor at all. So what will you prefer now. Basically I wanna say that my rig is - Core2quad Q6600, Asus P5N-E SLI and 8600gt. And I am having Rs. 10k cash in my hand. So what upgrade will you prefer from gaming point of view. Moreover I am interested in upgrading my gpu to gtx 260 but one of my friends told to me to sell this rig and take amd phenom 2 x4 940 and HD4770 gpu. Now I am seeking advice from you guys. So plz help me out. And let me clear you one thing that I never gonna over clock any of my pc components so plz advice keeping this in mind.

Regards
Mayank Sahni
Get Q9400 + Gtx 260

mayanksahni said:

Regards
Mayank Sahni

Upgrade your GPU,
GTX 260 216 SP as suggested by udayrulz.

PS: BTW just for my own curiosity, why so against OC-ing sir?

"Get Q9400 + Gtx 260"

This wont be possible since my budget is tight and in that budget I can buy only gtx 260.

"Upgrade your GPU,

GTX 260 216 SP as suggested by udayrulz.

PS: BTW just for my own curiosity, why so against OC-ing sir?"

Actually OCing voids the warranty of processor and in future if it blows away then I wont get a new one since this one was too bought up by me by collecting money from various means.

Anyways so is it wise to go with gtx 260 instead of building amd rig with phenom2 x4 940BE since I heard that it is better than any intel quad core proccy. Plz correct me if I am wrong and confirm me should I go with gtx 260 keeping my eyes close. Moreover I'm a die-hard fan of nvidia.

mayanksahni said:
Actually OCing voids the warranty of processor and in future if it blows away then I wont get a new one since this one was too bought up by me by collecting money from various means.

Anyways so is it wise to go with gtx 260 instead of building amd rig with phenom2 x4 940BE since I heard that it is better than any intel quad core proccy. Plz correct me if I am wrong and confirm me should I go with gtx 260 keeping my eyes close. Moreover I'm a die-hard fan of nvidia.

Overclocking does not void the warranty unless you burn your chip and damage it to an extent that Intel assumes that you've imparted physical damage to the processor by OC'ing it beyond extremes.

This I assume wont happen since an overheated processor would shut down the system by itself as a preventive measure.

You're safe to go ahead with a GTX260 but a product being EOL (the Q6600 here) does not imply that it does not match up to the standards/performance of the current market leaders. An OC'ed Q6600 can still give the other Quads a good run for the money when OC'ed to 3.6GHz which's fairly safe if you've a good aftermarket cooler. Heck, I've seen guys here doing a 3.6G on stock Intel coolers although that may end up in an overheated processor.

udayrulz said:
EOL = End of Line :)

Correction: EOL stands for End-of-life.

End-of-life

End of Line is associated with some character in computer programming IINM (which I'm really bad at).

mayanksahni said:

It's a good thing i asked you this question.
First of all, read Gannu's reply above as to why it doesn't void warranty.
There is no way for the manufacturer to tell if a component has been OCed or not.
Nothing will blow up if you know what you're doing. :hap5:
The first step into OCing is always a bit anxious for everyone, that is why its important to ask questions and increase your knowledge... which brings me to my second point:-
"phenom2 x4 940BE since I heard that it is better than any intel quad core proccy. "
That processor competes with maybe the mid-high end of the Intel C2Q's and let's not even get to the quad-core i7 processors, which possess the performance crown as of now. So that bit of information is... doubtful at best.

Thirdly, yes you can go for the GTX 260(provided you meet the power requirements) eyes closed, its the better choice in it's range. Better not to have a bias against certain manufacturer, it gets you better value for you buck, as well as the better product everytime.

I think it's quite odd to make a statement like "Actually OCing voids the warranty of processor and i...." in a hardware/tech forum where you're actually asking others for suggestions on your purchase.
Trust me, we love our warranties as much as you do :)

Good luck with your purchase.

lol @ mayanksahni

Dude you obviously have a lot to learn regarding hardware and OC'ing.

Take my advice..learn about it form the members here.

Make the best of what you have....you are basically just throwing away money going for q9400 and not oc'ing q6600....give that money to charity if ur wallet feels to heavy.

Since 2007 I'm getting an almost 1.2 Ghz overclock.

Original E6320 @ 1.86 Ghz

After OC'ing E6320 @ 3.01 Ghz with STOCK cooling and less than STOCK volts.

I didnt spend a dollar on no extra item or cooling...no paranoid shit like liquid radiatior cooling or l2 dice...rofl.

So try to get the best out of what you have, instead of wasting money un-necessarily.

But if you really wanna take the plunge into the well, even after 10 ppl telling you not too. :D..Its your choice.

It doesnt VOID any warranty like above post suggested...remember my chip is 2 yrs going on the 3.01 ghz OC 24*7. So relax, do some research.

Guys first of thank you to all of you for enlightening me regarding over clocking. Now I also wanna tell you that my idle cpu temperature remains at around 65 and while playing games it shoots upto 85. Thats why I fear a lot to over clock since it'll increase temperature more. So according to your suggestions I decided to not to go to amd phenom2 x4 940BE and stick to Q6600.

Back