Help! Fake Note

I recently Bought an old Rs:100 note from ebay.
Collection of such rares is my hobby.
But i am in big doubt that the note is fake.
It has watermark and silver thread in middle.
Even then i doubt its a fake,it looks something artificial to me.
How can i verify whether it is genuine or not???

Usually if a bank detects a fake currency note they have to lodge a police complaint immediately. Try a bank where they are familiar with you.

TECH HUNTER said:
I recently Bought an old Rs:100 note from ebay.
Collection of such rares is my hobby.
But i am in big doubt that the note is fake.
It has watermark and silver thread in middle.
Even then i doubt its a fake,it looks something artificial to me.
How can i verify whether it is genuine or not???

Take it to a shop that sells old notes and coins.

Tell them you got it from your grandfathers collection, but aren't sure if it is real and that you want to sell it. They'll tell you if it is real or not. ;)

tech hunter click some picts of the note..and i know some numismatic comunity on orkut u can post or ask ppl personally there......Many have the habbit of collecting...i myself do...but since i cant afford much..normally i save note with vip numbers may b in future ill keep it for sale..lol

IIRC... posting scanned (or photographed?) images of currency is not allowed... fake or not!

I could be wrong, but I think that is the case. I suppose, you could PM a mod and clear this doubt before posting any such pic.

@Kippu as per the RBI rules every bank has to report Fake currency by filing an FIR and owner of the note would be questioned. So why to take unnecessary troubles?

Actually i am thinking of going to bank.

definitely i would have fallen in trouble.

thanks for ur suggestions,BTW i doesn't know any coins shop,i doubt its there or not in my town.

Going to bank is not recommended as most banks take the note and stamp it counterfeit...happened with me once.....

Also i dont think they are qualified to handle old notes which is not under circulation....there is where numismatic comes into picture

if can you see gandhi face on the white bar, then it is genuine. i had a lot of notes like that but i spent them.

edit: not gandhi but the ashoka emblem i think. old notes had ashoka emblem instead of gandhi.

Back